Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Thank you, Virgil.

Posted by Stephanie T 
Thank you, Virgil.
July 15, 2017 05:36PM
I read something about Swedish meat balls recently and remembered that years ago Virgil had written a piece for Foodlovers about them. I couldn't find it here but type Virgil's Swedish Meat Balls into Google and there it is. I made them yesterday and it's a winner as far as comfort food is concerned. I 'beat' the meat mixture in my Kenwood mixture and, as he says, this is critical to the final result. I knew I had all spice (pimento) somewhere in my inadequate and overfilled larder and spent a frustrating 30 minutes not finding it. Cinnamon worked instead. The gravy was superb. Cranberries were lovely instead of the lingonberries. We enjoyed it so much that it will feature again quite frequently, and each time I will think of Virgil and say 'Thank you.'
[www.foodlovers.co.nz] Here is the link - I think I was looking in the wrong place.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2017 05:39PM by Stephanie T.
Re: Thank you, Virgil.
July 15, 2017 07:55PM
Yes, my thanks to the lovely Virgil too. I have made the recipe for several years now and it never fails to please. I do miss his wonderful sense of humour and superb knowledge of foods and plants.
July 15, 2017 09:40PM
Virgil has left such a hole in so many peoples lives.
So many of us would go straight to Virgil with any gardening questions that related to the slightly obscure e.g. growing betel leaves for serving canap├ęs.
He also of course had a keen interest in food and a wonderful writing style.

Hopefully Charlotte, Olive and Violet are being well loved and supported as they must be feeling their loss deeply.
July 16, 2017 05:32PM
I'm another who regulary makes Vigil's Swedish meatballs. It is one of the dishes I produce when I want to ensure a well-received meal with guests. And it was so lovely to meet him and Charlotte at one of our Foodlovers Lunches at your home, Helen.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to try Virgil's recipe, it's on Foodlovers twice:

Blog with recipe: [www.foodlovers.co.nz]

Recipe: [www.foodlovers.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2017 05:41PM by Lorna.
July 17, 2017 03:43PM
The blog recipe is the authentic 'Virgil' recipe. There are quite a few differences, Lorna, although I'm sure the other one would be delicious too.
July 17, 2017 06:10PM
Yes the blog is Virgil's recipe, the other is Swedish meatballs of course but not the original Virgil recipe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.