Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Spaghetti Ignorance

Posted by Kone 
Spaghetti Ignorance
July 23, 2017 04:06AM
Never having had any reason to think about it before now, I thought that dried spaghetti would last forever if unopened and sealed in another container. I unearthed a fine example of the aforementioned, that had been stored for emergencies on our boat - maybe 10 years, maybe longer. I decided to have Pasta a-la my Father last night which consists simply of onions cooked until they melt with loads of chopped bacon and a tin of tomatoes with a pinch of caraway seed. Very simple, very nice and very very nostalgic.
I opened the sealed packet of spaghetti and immediately noticed a strange smell. It certainly smelt a little odd, but looked as it should and I decided to experiment and cook it anyway. The house filled with an unappetising smell and being a mug for punishment I decided to taste a strand. Perfectly al dente for once. A nasty war of taste sensations unravelled around my tongue. Oh it was horrible. The doves, pukes, mynahs, sparrows, blackbirds, were gathering outside waiting for a feast and they were not disappointed. All I can say is they have no sense of smell or taste. There was no best by on the packet.

Fortunately I had another newer packet of spaghetti so we didn't go hungry last night.

[www.stilltasty.com]
J1
Re: Spaghetti Ignorance
July 23, 2017 09:59AM
Yes, interesting. All that sea air obviously not healthy for the spaghetti. ...10 years is a long time.... It wasn't an egg version pasta one hopes - that would definitely probably curl up its toes after 10 years at sea....
July 23, 2017 01:48PM
10 years old smiling smiley? Impressive experimentsmiling smiley You must be brave - I would not even open itsmiling smiley

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
[www.home-madepatchwork.com]
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram
July 24, 2017 03:57AM
I restrict my carbs for a health reason and not from choice, so dried spaghetti will sit in my pantry for ages. Probably between visits from grandsons. Last week I threw out 2 packets when I wasn't prepared to ruin a rare treat of spaghetti bolognese. (I know, JR would probably roll his eyes) I cannot top the 10 year mark, though.
ps We ate the leftover bolognese sauce on toast. winking smiley
July 24, 2017 04:21AM
Just checked my stock of pasta and I think I'd better eat pasta for the next week or 10 days because both packets had a best by date of March 2017 - not too far off today's date but far enough to make me not want to waste it. Thank you Kone.
July 24, 2017 07:30AM
The nose knows Lorna. Mine had a very distinctive smell. I only cooked it up to be perverse to see if it could possibly taste as bad as it smelt. It was worse.
July 26, 2017 03:45AM
WOW yes 10 years is a long time to keep any food. Nothing lasts in my house for that long and I have clear outs frequently.
I would have assumed it was OK too and cooked it up. Maybe a bit of air got in somewhere?
Im very glad you had packet #2!

Dads pasta sounds great though.
My quick and easy go to is pasta, lemon juice, capers, chilli, bacon and of course onions/garlic.
Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.