Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Microwave ideas

Posted by Vanessa45 
Microwave ideas
August 01, 2017 02:03AM
I mostly use my microwave for heating up and defrosting but Ive discovered a GREAT quick and easy lunch or even dinner idea that healthy and the best bit is its DELICIOUS.

In a bowl or plastic container I shred cabbage, cut carrots and courgettes using a spiralizer and add roast chicken Ive previously frozen. I then add a teriyaki or bulgogi sauce, even just soy/sweet chili and zap it for about 3-5minutes.

Its just like a stirfry with out oil and super easy to prepare and cook. I have it at lunch often and the kids at school often ask me what is that delicious smell!

The other 2 things I use the microwave for are Microwave fudge (recipe below) and scrambled eggs.

What do you cook in your microwave that works well???

RUSSIAN MICROWAVE FUDGE
You will need
100g butter
1 cup white sugar
1 can (400g) sweetened condensed milk
1 tbsp golden syrup
2 tsp vanilla essence
How to make
In a microwave proof bowl (very large as the mixture rises up) add everything except the vanilla essence.
Microwave on high for 1 minute then stir, then for a further 2 minutes and stir.
Repeat this process until 10 minutes is up. (I actually did it for 12 minutes).
The mixture will darken in colour, if it hasn’t zap it for a bit longer. Be careful as it can burn!
If you use a candy thermometer, it should be 120 degrees or you are looking for the soft ball stage when you drip it into cold water (I have never used a candy thermometer and the soft ball concept has never really worked for me)
When its done add the vanilla and beat with an electric beater for about 4 minutes. (It should lose its shine and start to thicken)
Pour onto baking paper that is in dish (anything will do, I used Tupperware)
Cut into cubes when nearly set and leave to cool.

Recipe from [www.thinkingaboutfood.com]

Vanessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2017 02:03AM by Vanessa45.
Re: Microwave ideas
August 02, 2017 06:09AM
I don't tend to make whole meals in my microwave, but other than the scrambled eggs you mention, I find it's great for cooking rice and also pulses (it doesn't necessarily take any less time than using the stovetop but you don't have to hang around observing it). I also use it for making quince paste and quince jelly which is terrific as quince paste on the stovetop spits so much. I often use it for other preserves too. And I've heard risotto in the microwave tastes better than stovetop and without all that ladling, although I haven't tried it myself.
August 02, 2017 10:15AM
CarolynC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't tend to make whole meals in my microwave,
> but other than the scrambled eggs you mention, I
> find it's great for cooking rice and also pulses
> (it doesn't necessarily take any less time than
> using the stovetop but you don't have to hang
> around observing it). I also use it for making
> quince paste and quince jelly which is terrific as
> quince paste on the stovetop spits so much. I
> often use it for other preserves too. And I've
> heard risotto in the microwave tastes better than
> stovetop and without all that ladling, although I
> haven't tried it myself.

I'd be interested to know how you make the quince paste, Carolyn
August 04, 2017 12:23AM
All my vegetables that are served unadorned and au naturelle are steamed in the microwave. The colours are retained and they look the same when they come out as when they went in.

Poached eggs as mentioned in another post a few days ago are also one of my 'go to' lunches when in a hurry.

And lucky cat, her pouch-food gets a slight warm up when it comes out of the fridge and she's super hungry so can't wait for it to come to room temperture. (She has half a pouch twice a day, so the leftover part goes in the fridge till it's time to be eaten).
August 04, 2017 01:17AM
Ha Ha another cat lover
I dont go to that extent though.

Im assuming its a pouch that doesnt have the silver lining? What brand do you use and microwave?

GULP - when foodlovers becomes pet lovers ;-)

Vanessa
August 04, 2017 01:44AM
We do the same with Minnie's (our dog) dinner at night. If it is from the can and has been in the fridge, we put it in her plate, and then zap it for a few seconds to take the chill off it

I always do my broccoli in the microwave - put the florets in, then I chop the stalks finely and scatter that through. Sprinkle garlic granules (only bought for this purpose and for crumbing fish) and ground black pepper over - and some water in the bottom. Cover and microwave it.
August 04, 2017 02:47AM
Mmmmm garlic and black pepper sounds great. I think ill give that ago, probably adding some chili powder too.
Ive never used the granules before other than in a premix Cajun/Mexican spice mix.
August 04, 2017 03:03AM
mmm and I never thought of Chilli powder - will try that next time. Thanks Vanessa smiling smiley
August 04, 2017 08:52AM
Chris, here is my quince paste and jelly recipe. It's a bit terse but hopefully it's comprehensiblesmiling smiley.

Cover as many quinces with water in a saucepan as will fit and boil for three hours. Do not drain.

Remove peel and cores. Weigh the flesh, puree it, and add sugar in a 1:1 or 3/4:1 weight proportion (I use the 3/4 - that's the sugar not the quince). Microwave for approximately 40 minutes (for 4 quinces) at half power, stirring every 10 minutes. It's done when a spoon leaves a clean trail on the bottom of the dish. Pour into a shallow tin and let dry.

To use the juice left over from boiling to make quince jelly:

Measure the juice and add sugar in a 1:1 proportion plus the juice of 2 lemons. (If you think the juice is a bit weak, you can boil it down a bit first for a stronger flavour.) Microwave on high, stirring occasionally, until a bit dropped on a cold saucer wrinkles. Pour into sterilised jars.
August 04, 2017 11:48AM
Thank you Carolyn. I've made quince jelly quite a few times in the past but quince paste for the first time this year. It turned out well but it was a laborious job. I will try your recipe using the microwave next season. I have a tree that crops very well so there is always an abundance of quinces.
August 04, 2017 11:52AM
I zap my dishcloths for 2 minutes in the microwave because I read/heard somewhere that that will kill a lot of bacteria. However, just the other day I heard on Jim Mora's program on National Radio that this might not work. Ah well, I'll keep doing it anyway.
August 05, 2017 12:20AM
I do my dish cloth in the microwave too. It has to be rinsed well in hotish water first then put it in the microwave really damp and 'cooked' on high for at least 2 minutes. I can't see how it won't work - heat kills most bacteria doesn't it?

Vanessa, re my cat, she gets half a Chef pouch (all silver foil) put onto her dish then popped in the microwave on high for about 10 seconds. She also has a measured 70-100g of Purina biscuits, which I put in her bowl in throughout the day, as she eats them. If I put them all out at the beginning of the day, by halfway through the day she won't eat any more.
August 10, 2017 03:42AM
I clean my microwave by putting a bowl with water and a squirt of detergent or lemon and heat on high for 6-10mins so the whole microwave turns into a sauna!
Then remove it and wipe it down - SUPER EASY

Vanessa
August 12, 2017 05:56AM
Always cook porridge in the microwave.
Much easier to clean microwave jug an a saucepan!!

Also use to stew small amounts fruit.

Shirley
DK
August 31, 2017 11:16PM
I roast nuts in my microwave. My favourite are 'raosted' soy sauce almonds (like a cheap version of tamari almonds).

Place a layer of raw almonds on a flat pyrex dish (I use the lid of my glass casserole dish) and sprinkle some soy sauce on them. Use less soy sauce than you think you'll need, because the flavour gets concentrated. You can always add more. Stir the nuts around to coat them in the soy sauce and place the whole lot in the microwave. You kind of have to do them in short bursts and then stir and check them because each microwave is different. I start with 1 minute on high then stir and cook for a further 1 minute, then stir and taste and cook for another 30 seconds etc. As they get closer to being cooked, reduce the amount of time you cook them for so you don't burn them. They are done when they are crunchy, and a bit brown on the inside. Note that if you taste them fresh out of the microwave, they will be very hot and a bit soft, so it's not a good indicator of doneness.
Err on the side of caution and finish cooking when they are slightly under-roasted because the residual heat in them will finish of the 'roasting' process.

Apologies for the lack of exact measurements but I always make different-sized batches of them so I never know the exact amounts. I like doing these in the microwave because it is faster and gives me more control than roasting them in an oven or my airfryer. It also makes for easier clean-up.
September 11, 2017 12:28AM
What a great idea, I never knew you could do that.
I think this is a must try! Thanks
Vanessa
September 13, 2017 02:31AM
I do my lemon honey in the microwave - quick and easy and yummy. Only do small amount using 2 eggs, half cup sugar 25g butter 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1/2 tblsp zest. Beat eggs and sugar, add rest, microwave in 2 min bursts stirring well between, til thick and creamy.
September 20, 2017 03:41AM
WOW lemon honey in the microwave - I love that stuff!
Another one to try, thanks for that.
Vanessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 03:42AM by Vanessa45.
September 21, 2017 08:33AM
usualy i use my microwave for cooking hot sandwiches and reheat something from the store)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.