Dinner inspiration needed
August 02, 2017 06:06AM
We've had 3 weeks of lurgy in our house, appetites are jaded, we're all sick of soup, I'm not feeling like cooking and I have to go out tonight, so I need some ideas for quick, healthy, tasty food (nothing spicy because the boy won't eat that) for dinner tonight....can anyone help with ideas?
J1
Re: Dinner inspiration needed
August 02, 2017 06:43AM
Pappardelle Pasta Mince - Go to supermarket and buy a glass jar of Leggos Bolognese pasta sauce (has mushroom, chunky tomato & herbs) 500g (made in Australia. Ingreds: tomatoes (69% reconstituted,diced), tomato paste 10%, mushroom 8%, vegetables (6%, onion, carrot), sugar, thickener 1442, canola oil, salt, garlic, yeast extract, herbs (parsley, oregano, rosemary, thyme), pepper, natural mushroom flavour) - easy to find at Countdown.
Also buy 2 zucchini, some button mushrooms, 500g beef mince (or however many grams you need to feed your family).
Pappardelle pasta (big wide ribbon pasta preferably the egg version) is best for this but can be hard to find in supermarket (Moore Wilson's has it) so just use spaghetti pasta or spiral pasta or any pasta shape you like.

Brown beef mince and a chopped onion and 2-3 finely sliced garlic cloves. Add chopped zucchini, mushrooms, some diced carrot, even a few corn kernels if desired. Cook for a little bit then add the Leggos sauce and cook till you think it's ready enough (whole thing can take 25 minutes from start to finish). Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the usual way. Put pasta on plate and top with mince mixture.
August 02, 2017 06:53AM
Griz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We've had 3 weeks of lurgy in our house, appetites
> are jaded, we're all sick of soup, I'm not feeling
> like cooking and I have to go out tonight, so I
> need some ideas for quick, healthy, tasty food
> (nothing spicy because the boy won't eat that) for
> dinner tonight....can anyone help with ideas?

Without knowing what you have available it's a bit hard to make any suggestions.
August 02, 2017 11:43PM
Probably a bit late, but keep it easy... filled omellets, or quiche. Simple cabornara pasta dish. Corn fritters, bacon and eggs...
August 03, 2017 02:29AM
I am on the same wavelength as Karen. Griz, you aren't/weren't well yourself and the KISS principle should prevail. I was going to post a risotto recipe for Griz but we had a power cut and it wouldn't have been in time.

Just an idea but I intend to have a folder of simple and delicious recipes for times when we just don't feel up to being Wonder Woman. J1's recipe is a good start and also the Apple Cake recipe that Vanessa45 posted.

Griz, you and your family get well soon.
August 03, 2017 06:22AM
Too late now, but when I'm pushed for time, or knackered, I like Jamie Oliver's spaghetti & meatballs. He says to use spicy Italian sausages, but any tasty flavoured sausage can be used.
So - take the skins off the sausages and cut them into small pieces, so that you can roll the pieces into balls a little larger than walnut size. Chop an onion and brown it in a little oil, add the meatballs and brown them then toss in a jar of pasta sauce (any flavour), and while that's simmering, cook your pasta - doesn't have to be spaghetti. drain pasta, top with meatballs and sauce and a good grate of cheese.
August 03, 2017 10:44AM
Rottiserie chicken from the supermarket - in a nice soft fresh bun with some salad
August 04, 2017 03:05AM
I second the roast chicken, its my go to meal when I cant be bothered cooking.

Scrambled eggs and bacon or ANYTHING with bacon works for a boy of any age lol

BLTs

Cheese on toast

Mince on toast

Comfort food

Vanessa
jj
August 04, 2017 03:29AM
Desperation Dinner in our house is Egg Fried Rice - stir fry mixed frozen veggies with garlic and ginger then then take out of the wok, turn down the heat and scramble as many eggs as you want in there, add rice straight out of the rice cooker, veg and a couple of tablespoons each of soy sauce and sweet chillie sauce.
August 04, 2017 09:42AM
Sorry TPANDAV I didn't have much in the house and so was heading to the supermarket and didn't want to have to think too much. As it happened there was a meal deal on which was advertised at the door and we went with that. Still not feeling the best here, although Mr Griz is on the improve finally. Supermarket chook, bread and salad has also been on high repeat here.
August 05, 2017 12:34AM
I have heard that our local NW does a cooked meal for $5 that you can order daily, or order as many as you want and freeze some. You have to pick them up, they don't deliver. I think this is in response to the fact that our Meals on Wheels service ended a short while ago and left many older people in the lurch. I'm going shopping today so I'll check it out, but what a wonderful service. I understand they do a selection, such as roast chicken, roast beef, roast pork or roast lamb, and also a vegetarian option.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.