Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Parsnip and Burnt marshmallow 'skin,' with a cured egg yolk?

Posted by Stephanie T 
Parsnip and Burnt marshmallow 'skin,' with a cured egg yolk?
August 02, 2017 11:48PM
What did people think of The Nest dessert on MF last night?In our house it was considered disbloodygusting! It sent Eloise home. Anyone springing to its defence?
Re: Parsnip and Burnt marshmallow 'skin,' with a cured egg yolk?
August 02, 2017 11:58PM
I thought it was completely over the top, looked as if its creator had thrown everything at it to try and make it interesting. The part I thought was particularly strange was using a scoby as one of the elements. The ones I've seen have been like leather.
August 03, 2017 12:19AM
I don't even know what a scoby is! Will Google.
August 03, 2017 12:22AM
Oh of course! A symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast.confused smiley
August 03, 2017 12:26AM
Both my husband and I were astonished.................it looked as if a bomb had hit it and who, who, would want to eat such an unattractive dessert with parsnip, cured egg yolk partially injected with caramel filling along with the other bits and pieces. I felt sorry for the judges' every mouthful. Yes, I know it's all about technique and there certainly was technique involved but lets see a dessert that someone would really want to eat and I'd like to know which bird builds a 'nest' like that (haha). That dessert alone would cost megabucks for the work involved should a diner happen to even want to order it!! I think it would just taste like a bird's nest too - yuck! My stomach's churning as I write this.
Regards,
Dawn.
August 03, 2017 12:34AM
UGGH!! thumbs down Nothing in there I wanted to put into my mouth and it has put me off wanting to watch further episodes. It wasn't even artistic, and any self respecting bird would have died of embarrassment to call it a nest. Ditto about scobies. None I've ever made were easily edible and met up with my compost bin after I threw in my Kombucha towel.
August 03, 2017 01:33AM
I'm totally hooked on MF, and it won't put me off but I couldn't resist finding out what others thought. There was a notable absence of bliss in Gary, George and Matt's facial expressions!
August 03, 2017 06:30AM
I've been hooked on MC here in Oz since it started but I must say this season has annoyed me - A Lot. Will not spoil it if it's still running there, but some of the challenges the contestants have had to make have been beyond ridiculous.
While I understand it's about having a future in the food industry so you need to know how to do the 'twiddly' stuff, I'd like to see them making decent scones/sponges/pavs etc. as in the past when they've had to make these sorts of things, it's been a bit of a fail. And surely you need to have a good grasp of the basics? Not sure if I'll even bother to watch next year.
August 04, 2017 12:13AM
Thankfully, I haven't watched the last 3 series' of MC. I used to love it but it's become so OTT and predictable at the same time that I can't be bothered with it. It would be a different story if they had MC UK the way it was when it first started. Not having seen it for some years, the format has probably changed. Be interesting to see it again.
J1
August 04, 2017 12:38AM
I tend to watch reruns of these while running on the treadmill because they're the least boring programme to watch where the audio doesn't matter, the pace, tension, hype, etc of the show is ideal, and the visuals are interesting and constantly changing - very few programmes fit these requirements! HOWEVER, after a diet of Oz and NZ MC, I started watching UK MC and was horrified at the mediocrity of not only the meals, but the judges, the contestants, the setting, the pace and format of the show... It was like stepping back in time 20 years. I couldn't bear to watch it - it didn't do ANYTHING for treadmill running!
August 04, 2017 09:39AM
I'm a huge MC fan, I know that the tasks they have to complete are sooo completely over the top, but seeing the development of each person over the time is fascinating. I've already watched the finale here so I'm in a MC drought, I tried watching MC UK and likewise was appalled at how completely average the meals being produced were. I do wish that TV3 hadn't killed off MC NZ, we did that show well until they decided to do it with partners...stupid idea.
August 04, 2017 10:49AM
I didnt even click on this post as it sounded pretty gross - LOL now it makes sense - Masterchef
I guess Id have to try before making a full judgement but the word skin really puts me off, it reminds me of the skin on burnt milk - UGH.
Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.