Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Healthy (and not healthy as well...) breakfast

Posted by Flora205 
Healthy (and not healthy as well...) breakfast
September 16, 2017 05:40PM
In search of the ideal breakfast buckwheat pudding with almonds and banana

As the Chinese proverb goes: "Eat breakfast alone, share lunch with your friends and give dinner to your enemy". There is something to it, because according to dietitians, it is the most important meal of the day, because it should supply you with energy after the night's rest. Apart from weekends and holidays we rarely have enough time to prepare and eat breakfast. I am searching for the kind of breakfast which will supply a lot of nutrients and let us start our day pleasantly.

Today for the first time I used buckwheat groats for preparing breakfast. I know that not everyone likes them because of their heavy "smoky" taste and smell. For breakfast I recommend using unroasted buckwheat groats. They are light and in my opinion have a slightly nutty taste, and if we only scour and soak them, the groats don't lose their fibre and valuable vitamins.

I found the recipe for this breakfast in the book "Zielone koktajle. 365 przepisw" ("Green cocktails. 365 recipes" ).

Ingredients:
60g of unroasted buckwheat groats
1 banana
3 dates
150ml of almond milk
half a teaspoon of cinnamon
fruit and almonds for decoration

the complete recipe is here

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
[www.home-madepatchwork.com]
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram
Re: Healthy (and not healthy as well...) breakfast
September 17, 2017 12:06PM
It looks very pretty Flora. I haven't tried buckwheat groats.
September 18, 2017 11:47PM
Halo Helen.

It is just one possible variation - you may try to do it i.e. with millet groats as well.

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
September 21, 2017 08:31AM
It looks like it was ordered from restaurant :3 So nice, thx for recipe.
September 22, 2017 11:07PM
SunShine775 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks like it was ordered from restaurant :3 So
> nice, thx for recipe.

Thank you SunShine775 smiling smiley

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
September 27, 2017 10:36PM
My yummy breakfast - reward for morning wake-up call

I hate getting up in the morning. Every day, the morning alarm at 6 o'clock is difficult for me. My first thought after awakening every day is the same: "I'll go to bed earlier this evening". Usually, everything finishes with these wishes, because "early" in the evening doesn't exist. When I don't have to get up early, I wake up at 8 o'clock. Then, regardless of the weather outside, my day looks different.

Today I decided to prepare a reward for myself. For these awful mornings. I prepared a breakfast which was so yummy only common sense stopped me from eating a second helping. Buckwheat flakes with almond milk, fruit and some drops of maple syrup. Ok, there were more than several drops of maple syrup, but it was a reward, wasn't it?

Ingredients:
250ml of almond milk
5 tablespoons of buckwheat flakes
a pinch of salt
fruit (figs, grapes, banana, blueberries)
nuts (cashews, almonds)
3 tablespoons of maple syrup

the complete recipe is here

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
November 17, 2017 11:07PM
A SANDWICH TO GO
Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a snack which you can grab and eat "on the go". I know that it is unhealthy. We should celebrate eating and eat calmly and with deliberation. However, sometimes the day is too short for everything on our schedule and we still have to eat. Admittedly, we can sin and go for some fast food, but it is healthier and tastier to prepare something quickly in our own kitchen.

Today, Camembert cheese and cranberries in a fresh, crunchy roll take the lead role. It sounds easy and yummy, doesn't it? Try it and get on with your day . Today I used a homemade cranberry preserve which was left over from dessert, but if you like you can buy your own.

Ingredients:
2 fresh rolls (your favourite ones)
150g of camembert cheese
1 handful of lettuce
2 teaspoons of butter
2 teaspoons of pine nuts or sunflower seeds
preserve
100g of fresh cranberries
3 tablespoons of brown sugar
100ml of apple juice

for interested the complete recipe is here

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
December 05, 2017 04:49PM
LUNCH FROM THE JAR, I.E. LAYERED SALAD IN THE OFFICE

Most of us take lunch boxes to the office. Some lucky people can warm their food up at work The rest have to eat sandwiches. Sandwiches are great, but even if we absolutely love them we could get fed up with them in the end. Regardless of where we work we can save the situation with salads. Every day we can prepare a different one and we have an entirely new lunch. If we also take an attractive dish, we have something that is not only tasty but also glamorous.

I would like to share with you the recipe for a salad which looks equally as beautiful as it is yummy. The chickpeas and groats make it a satisfying and balanced meal, after which we won't be hungry. I think that if you prepare your lunch in the morning and plan to eat it at lunchtime, we should keep the salad and the dip separately. Otherwise, after a few hours in the jar, we have an unappetising dish with squishy lettuce, which isn't what we want, is it?

Ingredients (for 2 people)
1 beetroot
200g of tinned chickpeas
100g of bulgur
1 carrot
1 fresh green pepper
4 lettuce leaves
200g of natural yoghurt
handful of minced chives
1 small chili pepper
salt and pepper

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
December 07, 2017 04:38PM
ALMOND CUSCUS WITH CRANBERRIES AND PINEAPPLE

I hate getting up in the morning. My household knows that before 8 o'clock I'm unbearable, and because almost every day I wake up much earlier, I tend to be unbearable more frequently than I want. Every extra five minutes of sleep is priceless, so I appreciate a good breakfast that is not too complicated and is quick to prepare.

Recently, I have been preparing breakfast with groats and flakes. This time I chose cuscus. This product is a cross between pasta and groats, and it doesn't need long to prepare. It is enough to add hot water or milk and leave for a few minutes. I added some fresh pineapple, cranberries and banana. I spiced it up with some hot chili pepper .

Ingredients (for 2 people)
125g of cuscus
400ml of almond milk
1 tablespoon of honey
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
2 slices of fresh pineapple
1 teaspoon of minced chili pepper
150g of fresh cranberries
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 banana
4 tablespoons of flaked almonds

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
December 08, 2017 06:45AM
If by cuscus, you mean what we call couscous, it's just pasta, not anything to do with groats.
December 08, 2017 10:45PM
Griz Wrote:
> If by cuscus, you mean what we call couscous, it's
> just pasta, not anything to do with groats.

I didn't say that couscous is a groat Griz smiling smiley it's the way how you've read my text.

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
December 09, 2017 03:26PM
It is this phrase that is causing the confusion Flora. " This product is a cross between pasta and groats, "
Where we are a "cross" is a mixture of the two.
December 09, 2017 04:34PM
Griz Wrote:
> It is this phrase that is causing the confusion
> Flora. " This product is a cross between pasta and
> groats, "
> Where we are a "cross" is a mixture of the two.

as the foreigner and not a native speaker I may sometimes not realize such nuance - my business risk Griz smiling smiley

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.