Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Steamed/boiled meat loaf

Posted by Heather F 
Steamed/boiled meat loaf
September 24, 2017 03:26AM
Hi FL,
Mum sometimes used to make a steamed or boiled meat loaf, in the bowl used for making usual steamed puddings. I'd love to have a go but don't have her recipe.
I remember it had rice in it, held together very well and was moist but that's about it. I've Googled recipes but can't really find much, except some As*an ones, and a couple of others where the meatloaf goes straight into the pan of boiling water on a scrunched up foil trivet, which seems a bit risky. Does anyone have a recipe please? Or could I just make my usual baked one and steam it, and for how long?
We've finally had a few warm days so I'm thinking about salads etc. Many thanks smiling smiley
Re: Steamed/boiled meat loaf
October 02, 2017 04:57AM
Heather, I tend to feel that in the dim past I've eaten boiled-in-a-cloth meat loaf made by either my Grandmother or Mother, but I don't have a clear recollection. I wonder if the following recipe taken from this English blog
[chorleycakes.blogspot.com] is any help to you? It obviously doesn't have rice in it, but don't see why you couldn't add rice to the mixture. It should also be OK cooked in a bowl as you've mentioned. I'd probably add some soy sauce, or fish sauce, or crumble a stock cube into the mixture to ramp up the flavour a bit. Think I'd also double the recipe?
Regards,
Dawn. (P.S. You may have already come across this recipe when you did a search)

BOILED MEAT ROLL
1/2 cup ground raw meat ( beef, pork, chicken, lamb)
1 cup red lentils cooked
1/2 cup raw sausage meat
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2tbsp minced onion/leeks
1 tsp dried marjoram or thyme
1 tsp dried sage
salt & pepper
1 large egg beaten

milk to bind

Mix everything together, adding just enough milk to form a wet dough.
Form into a roll and place in a floured cotton kitchen cloth.
Wrap loosely and secure ends with string.
Boil for 2 hours.
Remove from water and drain, then unwrap, and re- wrap more tightly and allow to cool completely and serve cold for sandwiches and salad plates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2017 05:00AM by Dawn.
October 04, 2017 05:19AM
Hi Dawn - thanks for posting. it looks interesting and I'd definitely double the qtys so there'd be enough for a couple of meals. 2 hours seems a long time to cook based on those amounts.
In my searches I found a number of recipes for Aberdeen Sausage which all pretty much said to roll the cooked loaf in toasted breadcrumbs and I don't think Mum did that. I think I'll have a play around with your recipe and the Aberdeen Sausage ones and see how it turns out. Thanks again :-)
October 30, 2017 05:22AM
I found Mum's recipe! It was in a little recipe book I'd started writing recipes in when I was 16. And typical of old recipes, quantities are a bit vague. I made it yesterday and it tastes exactly how I remember it - so pleased! I know it might be an odd thing to be hankering after but it just reminds me of her.
if anyone would like the recipe, I'd be glad to either put it up here, or PM it. smiling bouncing smiley
October 30, 2017 07:51AM
I'm so glad you've found your Mum's recipe Heather. I'd love to see it here on this thread if you could put it some time when it suits. I'd be interested to see if it's something my Mother or Granny may have made when I was young. Old recipes can bring back so many memories!
Regards,
Dawn.
October 30, 2017 08:33AM
Heather, yes please, I would like the recipe as well.
November 12, 2017 03:12AM
Hi All,
Sorry I'm only just putting up the recipe now - have been slammed at work lately and been coming home shattered.
I have the meat loaf cooking at the moment and will take some pics and add them to this when it's cooked.
Here is the recipe as I wrote it down, and then afterwards I'll put what I did.

Meat Loaf

1 1/2lb mince
1 lb sausage meat
1 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbl uncooked rice or 2 thick slices of stale bread
Worcestershire sauce or tomato sauce

Mix all ingredients together. May be steamed or baked. If baked, place in a loaf tin upside down in a roasting dish so fat can run out.

As you can see, it's a bit sketchy in the details.

This is what I did:
I used premium beef mince, and as the 'tube' type sausage meat is nasty pink glop here, I used sausages, skinned - just plain middle of the road (price wise) ones
I don't have any mixed herbs (remember when that was about the only dried herb available?), so I used a mix of thyme, oregano and tarragon - home dried
When I made it the first time even though I cooked it for an hour, the rice was only partly cooked and gritty, so this time I've soaked it in cold water for about an hour first
And regards the sauces, knowing Mum, she would have used both so I put about a dessertspoon of each in and mixed it all together. I put a double piece of baking paper under the lid.
I did check it with a meat thermometer last time but I can't recall what the temp was! I'm still here lol so it must have been ok, but I'll check it this time and note the internal temp.

Edited to add that the internal temp after an hour & 20 mins was 72'C, and here are the pics - the rice could be mixed in more evenly smiling bouncing smiley. Interesting there's no onion, and since it tastes how I remember, I wouldn't add any, but like a lot of basic recipes, lots of things can be added to change it up.

And I should have said previously that I have no idea where Mum got this recipe from; she used to cut recipes out of the paper back in the 'Olden Days', so perhaps it came from there.

Last edit - promise! I've found that towards the middle of the loaf the rice could have done with a bit more cooking as it's a touch firm. I'm now thinking next time I'll parboil it, or even keep some back next time I cook rice and use that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 09:44AM by Heather F.
Attachments:
open | download - Mum's Meat Loaf sliced.JPG (335 KB)
open | download - Mum's Meat Loaf whole.JPG (263.8 KB)
November 15, 2017 03:14AM
Heather thank you for posting your recipe, I'm going to make this. It looks lovely and slices very nicely and such a simple recipe to put together. I agree a lot of the sausage meat looks like pink glop over here too, so will take your advice both on the mince and the sausage meat.

My Mum did as your Mum did and cut recipes out, usually from the daily newspaper, and she used my old school exercise books to paste the recipes into and I still have some of those books.
Regards,
Dawn.
November 16, 2017 04:35AM
Would love to hear how you go Dawn! And I definitely recommend either partly or wholly cooking the rice beforehand. I neglected to say that quite a lot of juice comes out, so I poured it off into an empty tin before turning the loaf out.

I love those old books with recipes pasted in - such a lovely connection with the person who put them together.smiling smiley
November 16, 2017 12:56PM
The vegetables contain a lot of minerals and vitamins. Some ingredients could be reduced against the direct heat of the fire.The rev com legit is providing the supportive treatment options for the betterment of the lifestyle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.