Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Baking bread in Romertopf

Posted by DK 
DK
Baking bread in Romertopf
November 03, 2017 01:32AM
I'm just gorging myself on the best ever loaf of homemade bread, fresh out of the oven.

I used my favourite No-Knead bread recipe but instead of baking it in a Dutch oven or a pizza stone, I cooked it in my Romertopf terracotta clay pot/baking dish thingy. I baked it for 40 minutes with the lid on, then about 10 minutes with the lid off and got the perfect loaf - perfect size, perfect rise, perfect crumb and an amazingly crunchy crust.

The only bad thing about it was that I did the final proofing of the dough directly in the dish, but with the dough sitting on some baking parchment and I left the parchment on to bake it. Because of the very wet nature of the no-knead dough, I think the parchment got soaked and stuck to the bottom of the loaf. I had to spend some time picking and scraping off bits of baking paper. Next time I'll just sprinkle some cornmeal in the base of the Romertopf and put the dough directly into the dish.

I'm so delighted at how successful it was, particularly because it didn't require any preheating of the oven at all and I didn't have to juggle to get the dough onto a screaming hot pizza stone or Dutch oven. It's made an easy recipe even easier! The steam from the bread and the water-soaked clay made the crust a magnificent thing. The shape of the Romertopf gave me a perfect long loaf (it wasn't the fancy-schmancy Romertopf clay baker, just my classic Romertopf that I've had for decades.
Bev
Re: Baking bread in Romertopf
November 03, 2017 03:57AM
Thanks DK for your post. I have recently purchased a romertopf for my bread and look forward to trying it out. I have heard good reports on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2017 03:57AM by Bev.
November 03, 2017 07:04AM
DK, that sounds wonderful - can you please share your favourite no-knead recipe.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
November 04, 2017 08:19AM
DK I read your post with interest. I too have the old classic Roemertopf and would be keen to bake a sourdough loaf in it. Did you soak the pot and the lid and then put the dough in for proofing? Also, did you place the pot with the lid on into a cold or hot oven? There are recipes for baking bread in a Roemertopf on the net but they seem to be using a type of pot that has been especially designed for bread though. Anyway, I am pleased it worked for you and would love to have your recipe and revised method. Perhaps you could share it here?
November 05, 2017 01:13PM
Interesting! Sounds like a similar method to the one recommended by the sourdough book I use, which says that counter to expectations you get a better result putting the bread on the baking stone in a cold oven then switching the oven on. This is how I make all my non-tin sourdough loaves and it does seem to work really well. A white loaf takes 70 minutes from cold at 170 degrees with fan/190 without.
November 06, 2017 03:24AM
CarolynC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting! Sounds like a similar method to the
> one recommended by the sourdough book I use, which
> says that counter to expectations you get a better
> result putting the bread on the baking stone in a
> cold oven then switching the oven on. This is how
> I make all my non-tin sourdough loaves and it does
> seem to work really well. A white loaf takes 70
> minutes from cold at 170 degrees with fan/190
> without.

Carolyn, do you cover the bread with a bowl to get oven spring? I vary my methods. When using a tin I spray the inside of the oven with water and also place a dish with water on the bottom shelf. If I make a free form loaf, I either place the loaf on a hot pizza stone and cover it immediately with a large stainless steel bowl or place the loaf in my pre-heated Le Creuset pot and put the lid on. I then bake at a high temperature for 30 to 35 min, take the bowl/lid off and continue baking at 200 deg till done. I guess your bread will keep rising while the oven pre-heats and then the yeast gets killed off when the temperature is too high. Do you bake your sourdough bread that way too or just your yeast-risen loaves? I would be interested in your comments.
November 08, 2017 03:48AM
Hi Chris,

I don't actually make yeast-based bread anymore unless it's a speciality thing (I will be returning to yeast-based hot cross buns after my sourdough ones this yearsmiling smiley ). I spray the oven sides with water three times five minutes apart once the oven has come up to temperature - this isn't for oven spring though but to make the crust crispier. According to my sourdough book (http://www.sourdo.com/book/), oven spring with this method comes once it reaches temperature and you can sometimes see the dough leap up to triple its size. However, I haven't seen that - I rarely get oven spring at all (whether with the cold start method or with a preheated oven) although I do get a good rise out of the dough beforehand. I'm working on refining my technique in case it's something I'm doing wrong, but what I suspect it is in my case is that I'm using a very sour starter. I bought it from Sourdoughs International (the people who also do the book) and picked the Bahrain one as it was their most sour, for the flavour. At the time I didn't realise that the more sour the dough, the less the rise, so I suspect I have a tradeoff situation, but the flavour is so good that even if I can't improve the oven spring I'm willing to live with it. (The dough still has sourdoughy holes in it.) As you know, sourdough is super complex!

Edited to add that Ed Wood the book guy has another trick you don't see anywhere else. He says you get a much better rise if you give it an extra proof (which he calls the culture proof). He says that when you get a culture out od the fridge and feed it, although it looks active at the end of its proofing time, it greatly benefits from an extra proof which hugely multiplies the yeasty beasties. This is the method I've followed since starting sourdoughing and does seem to work well. So I get the dough out in the morning, feed it and proof it until it's doubled in size, then throw out half (or put it in my backup jar), then feed it again and proof it again for eight hours. Then before going to bed I make the dough and proof it overnight, then shape it and proof it in the morning. Sourdough, I could chat about it for hourssmiling smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 03:57AM by CarolynC.
November 08, 2017 04:44AM
Thank you Carolyn. It's so interesting to read others' opinions. I bake sourdough bread regularly nowadays and have had some spectacular results and some that were not so good although the bread tasted fine. I've read up a lot about sourdough starters and bread baking and I am still looking for the absolutely perfect recipe. One thing I have noticed is when a friend and I use the same recipe our results are different. Her dough is usually quite firm and my dough is much wetter. Go figure! I would find it very hard to get back to store-bought bread. Yes, it takes some organisation but it's worth it. I shall tinker with my Roemertopf and see where it takes me. Do you use tap water for feeding your starter and making bread? I've been using tap water but noticed recently that although my starter smells really fruity and nice it seems to have lost some umph. I have just now started using filtered water and hope to get more life back into my starter. I am also feeding it a bit more flour to get a stiffer starter. There is lots of advice on the net and some really good websites. I also make from time to time the Vogels' type bread from an old foodlovers thread. For good measure I add a couple of dollops of sourdough to the tiny amount of yeast. The results vary but the bread tastes nice and tangy. Happy baking.
November 10, 2017 03:08AM
Chris, that's interesting about the difference between you and your friend's doughs. Differences in flour perhaps? When I make wholemeal loaves with stoneground flour l find I need a cup of water if the recipe says 3/4 cup. Re your non-umphy starter, I've always use filtered water so I don't know if it makes a difference or not. I do however have a tip from Ed Wood (the guy has about fifty years' worth of sourdough experience so hopefully he knows what he's doingsmiling smiley) that might help. He says that starters get more acidic over time, and the more acidic the starter, the less the rise. He says when you get the starter out of the fridge, fill the jar (assuming it's about half full with starter) with warm water, stir it in and toss half away, then feed it. I've done this every time and my starter is as bouncy as it was at first.
DK
November 10, 2017 09:13AM
@Chris - sorry for the late reply. Once the dough was proofed, I wetted the lid and the outside of the base (that had the proofed dough sitting in it), but didn't leave them to soak. I read various websites that said that you didn't need to soak them because the dough had enough moisture in it. I also read a website that said to preheat the Romertopf like you would a pizza stone, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that because it goes against all my Romertopf instinct!

I thought I'd just use my Romertopf as usual and start it in a cold oven and it turned out perfectly. I then cooked it as per my original post. The steam generated in the lidded Romertopf created a stunning, crackley curst.

I used the following No-Knead recipe because I was looking to make a wholemeal loaf. I doubled the yeast (i.e. used 1/2 teaspoon instead of 1/4 of a teaspoon because 1/4 teaspoon just didn't seem enough, even for a no-knead recipe): Wholewheat No Knead Bread

The following is the recipe I usually use:Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day It makes a lot of dough but the dough keeps well in the fridge and gets tastier and tangier the more days you leave the dough in the fridge. The bread it makes tastes like artisan bread. Even though it's a lot of dough, it's really versatile and it's great having the batch of dough sitting in the fridge for pizza bases and flatbread. It even makes gorgeous fried bread which is so good with a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar, or with maple syrup or golden syrup.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 09:17AM by DK.
November 11, 2017 06:50AM
Thank you so much DK and CarolynC for your really useful information. My friend and I both buy our organic stoneground flour from the same whole foods shop but we might get different batches or imports because sometimes the flour comes from Ashburton, sometimes from Australia or Turkey and therein might lie the difference. I baked a loaf yesterday and all I could do was gather the dough and plonk it into the bread tin I used while she could properly mould the loaf. I felt quite frustrated but the bread actually turned out great. It rose really high and tastes lovely. I shall persevere.
By the way, I have the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes book and used to make the white loaf frequently till I discovered sourdough. Thanks for the reminder. That bread always turned out great and I will make up a mix to have ready in the fridge so that I can bake a loaf for our lunch when the sourdough bread isn't quite ready. DK, I will also try the wholemeal no knead bread. Thanks for the link.
I will try my hand at ciabatta and other types of bread but baguette frightens me a bit, especially since I can buy a wonderful sourdough baguette at our Farmers Market.
Again thank you for your tips.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.