Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

What is the best Pasta Sauce

Posted by faheyregal 
What is the best Pasta Sauce
January 20, 2018 07:24AM
Just wondering what brand is the best ready made Pasta Sauce with the best flavour to make Chicken Parmigiana. I use to buy in Australia a specific Chicken Parigiama Sauce but now it has been removed from the market.

Margaret@faheyregal
Re: What is the best Pasta Sauce
January 20, 2018 10:27PM
I assume you are talking about the jars of pasta sauce. I usually buy whichever is on special because I find they're all much of a muchness. Brands I often buy are Dolmio, Leggo's or Five Brothers.
January 22, 2018 11:34PM
I prefer 5 Brothers and if that's not available my next choices are Zito Organic or Barilla. I find some of the others have a much more processed flavour, one we had tasted a bit like it had some indian spices in it.
January 23, 2018 09:38AM
Ive been using Watties seasoned tomato puree, its really good and very smooth.

Vanessa
January 23, 2018 01:49PM
Slosh of good olive oil in a pan, brown 4 cloves of garlic, with 4 teaspoons of chopped rosemary, add two tins of tomatoes in juice or puree. Once thick, cool and use with pizza, pasta, fish, sausages etc.
January 27, 2018 07:42AM
Thank you for the reply's I guess I just have to keep trying until I find the flavour like Dolmio's Chicken Parigiama Sauce
February 09, 2018 04:13PM
Been making this sauce for years, I love it. Freezes well. Very flexible so adjust as you like.

1 1/2 lbs italian sausage, casings removed
1 large onion , chopped
5 garlic cloves , minced
3 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed by hand
2 oz tomato paste
1 large stem fresh basil
1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 cup hearty red wine
1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Parmesan rind (optional)
1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)

In large, heavy stockpot, brown Italian sausage, breaking up as you stir.
Add onions and garlic and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened.
Add tomato paste, oregano, brown sugar, salt, crushed red pepper if using, and black pepper. Stir for a minute until the tomato paste is heated through (I find this helps the flavor).
Add tomatoes and basil. Add Parmesan rind if using.
Stir well and barely bring to a boil.
Stir in red wine.
Simmer on low, stirring frequently for two hours.
Remove Parmesan rind and add fish sauce if desired. Makes approximately 8 cups sauce.
DK
February 16, 2018 07:10PM
I find commercial pasta sauces too sweet for my taste. For convenience I just drain a tin of tomatoes, add my own flavourings, puree it all up with a stick blender and hear it up. If I have a bit more time I soak some dried tomatoes and puree them in as well for some extra depth. A splash of extra virgin olive oil at the end is a must.

If you could somehow find an ingredients list for your discontinued Parmigiana sauce it might hep you find another brand that had the same ingredients?
February 18, 2018 06:22AM
Alana and DK
Thank you for the suggestions. I did take note of the ingredients of the Dolmios sauce and did try to look for something the same but no luck. I think I will take the suggestions and try and make my own
Regards
August 07, 2018 03:24PM
I love Napoletana the most! It's simple but yet so tasty! Whenever I make spaghetti, I add Napoletana and that's all, my whole family love it! And btw, last week we went out for a dinner in one of the iconic Manly waterfront resturants, in Sydney, and I ate their Parmigiana Alla Napoletana. Oh, my! If you want to spoil yourself with Napoletana taste - just go for this dish, amazing!
August 08, 2018 10:32AM
Id have to say my Dads - its amazing and very hard to recreate.

My sister and I tried here... (TV ONDEMAND NZ)

Family Recipes – Episode 2
Wednesday 11 Sep 2013
Michael learns how to make a beloved family pasta sauce with Ingrid and Vanessa Opera, before inviting them back to his restaurant to help cook his gourmet version of the sauce for their family.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.