Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Purple Kumara

Posted by travellover 
Purple Kumara
February 17, 2018 06:37AM
Hi: Has anyone tried cooking with the new purple kumara? It is not the dark red/cream flesh one, but is a dark purple with dark purple flesh. I saw some photos today on Instagram #purplekumara and it looks amazing. Wondering how it performs vs normal kumara for roasting, baking, soups, etc? Anyone had any experience with it? Thanks.
Re: Purple Kumara
February 17, 2018 07:00AM
I didn’t like it much, the texture was coarse and the flavour indistinct.
February 17, 2018 11:29AM
I never tried yet to cook purple carma
February 17, 2018 05:27PM
My local fruit and vege shop has stocked it for quite a while. I have used it over the winter in mixed roast vegetables and I'd say the main difference I notice is that is much softer and wetter when roasted than any of the other types of Kumara. I quite often do a mixture of kumara colours, pumpkin, carrot, parsnip, onion, capsicum and throw some mushrooms in towards the end. All tossed with olive oil and garlic and herb salt. I sometimes add some potatoes in as well for my son who used to say he didn't like the other vegetables (I notice now though that he takes a mixture like everyone elsesmiling smiley)
Overall I like the purple ones but I don't know if I would use them on their own.
February 17, 2018 06:12PM
My daughter loves it and has twice brought me some from Auckland. Great colour but like TPANDAV I have not been impressed with taste or texture. I am a devotee of the classic red kumera, parboiled and then roasted to caramelise the edges.
February 20, 2018 04:28PM
I saw a recipe where you got all the colours & sliced them thinly put into a circle meeting at both ends until dish filled, drizzle with oil & cook until tender then grated cheese on top & melt in. Looked pretty I might have added some cream cheese or similar to serve as a dip or as a meal add some home made tomato sauce. I haven’t tried it
February 21, 2018 05:26AM
We've had them locally for quite a few years, along with the golden ones. I was surprised you find them too wet, Danube, as I find them too dry, and that they are best mashed with lots of butter and milk/cream. The golden ones I find too wet. Long live the "normal" red/cream one. The other colours do look good, but the textural differences stop me buying them. Janet
February 22, 2018 08:17PM
I bought some by mistake. Not that impressed. Prefer the standard red.
March 01, 2018 04:42AM
I've got a nice soup recipe that used purple kumara. One of the kids now keeps asking for "purple soup"!
March 04, 2018 11:06PM
I also hate the newer purple kumara and bought them at a market not realising they were these awful ones
I have tried to use them up by mashing with some white flesh red ones but I still taste the purple ones too much so is a waste of my lovely red ones,
Yes I agree the new purple ones are wetter, softer,

I also have never liked the orange ones
I use the red ones for roasting or mashing
I never mash the golden ones as they are softer wetter but love roasted
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.