Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Milk weirdly solidifying when heated

Posted by helen 
Milk weirdly solidifying when heated
April 02, 2018 11:12PM
This morning I heated milk in the microwave for 30 seconds and it just turned to a lump.
It was well within date and didn't smell. I had used the same milk on my muesli just minutes before and it tasted just fine.
We tried in a different cup and the same thing happened.
Tipped the rest of the bottle out and went to a fresh bottle which was fine.
I am curious as to why this would happen. Does anyone know?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 04:06AM by helen.
Re: Milk weirdly solidifying when heated
April 03, 2018 12:57AM
I buy Calci Trim and it is curdling the tea long before the Best Buy. I poured that bottle out or tried to, but it had set rock hard. I bought another bottle two weeks ago with BB date 5 April and I gave it a sniff when I opened it a few days later for the first time and it had a very strange almost chemical plastic smell. I have just now checked the 5 April full bottle still in the fridge and that too is rock hard.

I have sent an email to my local NW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 01:08AM by Kone.
April 03, 2018 04:09AM
One this was calico trim as well. I have never had it happen before and the milk didn't smell off, it was still liquid in the bottle but as soon as I tried to heat it there was just a curdled mass.
April 03, 2018 03:39PM
I remembered reading something about this issue a while ago. Sounds like the same problem.

[www.stuff.co.nz]
April 03, 2018 05:02PM
My milk went straight from the supermarket to the fridge. The second bottle didn't come out until a couple of days later when I detected the strange smell. It wasn't an off smell. The bottle prior to that curdled my tea but still smelt fresh. I wondered if it was something to do with the plastic container as I've never had that problem when I've bought unpasteurised milk in bottles.
April 03, 2018 10:01PM
I have emailed Anchor to ask if they know why this would be happening. I certainly don't want anything from them but just think they need to know and am curious about why it would be happening.
April 16, 2018 04:56PM
Me too. They replaced mine. There was quite a bit of publicity about this a few months ago.
April 16, 2018 05:23PM
I have noticed that my light blue milk recently has a thick layer of hard cream at the top of the container. Only started happening for the last month or so. Still fresh too.
April 17, 2018 02:10AM
I have this problem when heating milk for cheese, using raw milk - when it is simply too old. I always give it the smell test first, and even though it smells fine and looks fine, as soon as I start to heat it it forms a "lump" surrounded by whey. I often push the boundaries using milk for cheese in terms of age, and just toss it out if it does this. Janet
April 17, 2018 08:57PM
I had exactly the same problem heating my milk too and thought it was off but nope. I didnt realise until I had had a sip of coffee - GROSS!!!!

I thought it was that my partners microwave was hotter than mine and the heat had created asomesort of chemical change.
I really curious about this too...
Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.