Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Rocket

Posted by Vanessa45 
Rocket
April 17, 2018 03:59PM
I have picked a huge bunch of rocket from my work garden BUT its sooooo peppery.

What can I do with it? I know I can mix it with other salad greens but any other ideas? its such a shame to waste it.

Vanessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 04:00PM by Vanessa45.
Re: Rocket
April 17, 2018 04:26PM
I’ve tried cooking rocket but it just seems to accentuate the bitterness. The best thing is to balance the bitterness with acidity and sweetness - dress it with a sweet mustardy vinaigrette, or make a salad of it with toasted nuts, currants or golden raisins and a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses or date molasses.
April 17, 2018 08:51PM
Sounds good, I think Id need to mix it with baby spinach - LOL defeats the purpose of foraging from work if I need to go out and buy more salad.

I did think about a soup but not holding my breath it would be a winner.

Vanessa
April 17, 2018 09:12PM
Vanessa, not sure if you have seen on FB the Love Food Hate Waste NZ Organisation. They have a website, and on there is a recipe for Green Garden Crackers, which you can make with Rocket, including a variety of other greens if you wish.

Here's another recipe for a Harvest Stew

Both ideas are thinking out of the box, and I have not tried either so can't vouch for them

Just editing to add that there are various recipes online for Rocket Soup as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 09:18PM by Irene Field.
April 18, 2018 02:58AM
Wow those crackers look really interesting!
Im really going to give them ago - thanks Irene.

I did think about rocket soup so but was worried about it just going to be hot and peppery. Maybe rocket and pesto/potato/cream ect

Vanessa
April 19, 2018 04:04PM
How about Rocket Pesto?
April 23, 2018 08:03PM
Rocket hummus?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.