Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Cake tin ?

Posted by Griz 
Cake tin ?
April 19, 2018 11:55AM
Question for bakers.

I'm making this [www.gourmettraveller.com.au] tonight.

It requires a 15cm tin/ring, I only have 18cm ring, have hunted everywhere here today to find a 15cm, just can't get one.

Would you try and get through using the 18cm tin (cake is already baked), or just cut it to 15cm, layer it up, and add strips of acetate to support, perhaps using sticky tape to join them up?
Re: Cake tin ?
April 20, 2018 06:19AM
That's a tough one. If you have enough of the other ingredients, I think I'd keep the cake at 18 cm so you get the support of the tin, although of course if you do that you won't get the spectacular very deep layers. It will still be pretty, though. If you taped the acetate really, really well, maybe you could get away with it, but I don't think it will be easy. Good luck!
April 26, 2018 12:51AM
[millyskitchen.co.nz]

For another time I wonder of this loose based cake tin would have worked for you?
April 26, 2018 08:37AM
I ended up making it to 15cm, and hubby taped the acetate really well so it was very stable, and it worked very well. The cake was very tasty, but I've had better carrot cakes that weren't as fussy to make.
April 27, 2018 10:39PM
It looks delicious, I hope it turned out well for you.

I have no idea these high cakes were taped together with acetate, I just assumed the cream/creamcheese icing ect and cooling the cake helped set it to stay in place. I love learning new things.

I love carrot cake and the 2 most important things for me are... It has to be moist and served with enough cream cheese icing that isnt too sweet..

This one certainly did look impressive, it would make a lovely wedding cake served with a cheese platter.

Vanessa
April 27, 2018 10:53PM
Yes, obviously you take the acetate off before serving, and I smoothed it all with an offset palate knife, it did look just the part.
Sadly, we forgot to take it with us for my actual birthday, so it became the day after birthday cake! (and before you say it, yes I did make my own cake, and I like to have a baking project, it's how I relax!)
April 28, 2018 05:51AM
What an over complicated recipe to make a layered carrot cake

I like a moist carrot cake, and never with b p. it makes it too cakey
I make carrot cakes and a few diff recipes of them, with soda only and always incl crushed pineapple makes a beautiful moist type
And why not in 2 tins then split for 4 layers or 1 deep layer to split and 1 thin layer for short time cook

Wonder why your recipe says a square tin for the cheesecake to bake then smear ??
Why not just 2 round tins same size as cake and flip them out, peel off base paper

Seems very strange recipe to me and lots of fiddling with sizes
You deserve a medal for going through all those complications that don't really seem necessary for the finished cake
I fiddle with decorations and making them but not with the actual diff sizes of tins, cake and fillings in this
April 28, 2018 08:27AM
I felt the carrot cake was lacking, if I'm honest, it was a light colour and yes, cakey, not the dark colour and moist texture I prefer.
I think the cheesecakey stuff was baked in that size tin so it set to the right texture, in two round tins it would have dried out too much.
The frosting and "milk crumbs" were interesting, but having the frosting on each layer made it a bit too sweet, and the crumbs could easily be replaced with nuts.
I try to make it a policy to follow the recipe properly the first time I make it, then I know what I'm playing with, but I don't think I'll bother again with this recipe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.