Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Pork Hock

Posted by Plates 
Pork Hock
May 01, 2018 07:28AM
Saw a cut for $8 in commonsense organics. What is this cut like. Is it worth buying and trying out?
Re: Pork Hock
May 01, 2018 07:41AM
We love free range pork hocks. I usually braise them in Chinese Masterstock (soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, star anise, garlic, ginger, cardamom and cinnamon) for 3 - 4 hours until the skin is tender and luscious and the flesh is coming away from the bones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 07:42AM by TPANDAV.
May 01, 2018 01:53PM
This recipe by Luke Nguyen is really worth the effort: [www.sbs.com.au] Save and freeze the leftover stock because if you like Asian flavours and unctious food you're bound to want to make it again.
Lynne2
May 01, 2018 11:45PM
Thank you, Lynne2, I have a filthy cold and watching Luke Nguyen has made me feel better. How do you serve that delicious pork and with what?Just pulled apart?
And is the deep frying before the long braise strictly necessary?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 11:48PM by Stephanie39.
May 02, 2018 05:15AM
Lynne2 Wrote:
-... Save and freeze
> the leftover stock

That's what I do - my masterstock has been going for about ten years and two house moves. After each braise I strain the stock and freeze it. I top it up with more ingredients from time to time and braise ducks and chickens in it as well as pork, it develops flavour and texture over time. It's a really convenient way to make a delicious and exotic main course - all you need to do is to thaw the masterstock (and meat if it is frozen) a day ahead, put it in a big pan and simmer for several hours.

Stephanie, I don't bother with the deep frying as the braising process gives so much flavour that I don't see any need. It would be convenient to deep fry in a commercial kitchen where you have a deep fryer constantly available, but not in a home kitchen.
May 02, 2018 06:55AM
lynne - thx

I was just pretty much going to brown the hock and chuck in some spices leaning towards more an Indian mix.

TPANDDAV, whats your cooking method. Do you boil prior etc. What are the impurities he references - is this necessary, by that I mean what will happen if I dont get rid of the impurities.
May 02, 2018 07:38AM
If I have time I blanch the pork in boiling water for a few minutes and rinse off the scum. What this does is remove traces of blood, bone and loose bits of flesh which might otherwise cloud the braising stock. It's not crucial and I don't think it makes any difference to the end product. It's not something that is done in most European cuisines apart from when you make stock for consomme, which has to be absolutely clear.

In other words, it's not necessary to blanch the meat.
May 05, 2018 05:38AM
I made this and used Lukes recipe as a guide. I did brown it on both sides. Used various spices etc and braised it in a stock which is now reserved for next time.

It did turn out quite nice and was quite enjoyable. Thanks for the advice.
May 05, 2018 12:33PM
TPANDAV - Enlighten me about the Masterstock that has been on the go for 10years... I need this in my life!

So you make the initial stock using meat/bones ect and then freeze it? How do you get the system going so you always have the stock in the freezer if you know what I mean?.

I make a flavoursome chicken stock but always end up using it as soon as Ive made it in a delicious soup. So its make stock, make soup, then eat. There is rarely leftovers...

Vanesssa
May 05, 2018 12:50PM
It’s not an exact thing, but here’s a recipe that looks pretty good. From memory, I started mine by making a big pot of chicken stock using a boiling fowl and covering it amply with water, simmering for about four hours then straining through a fine sieve. Then I added the flavourings, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine etc and simmered an hour. Then put in the meat and cooked it by simmering for a few hours. When the meat is cooked remove it and strain the masterstock, reserve about half a cupful to serve with the meat and pour the rest into a container and freeze.

Each time you cook with the masterstock it will get more flavoursome and the texture will get heavier from the dissolved connective tissue from the meat. Every so often (maybe every five uses) top up the stock with soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, and whatever flavourings you think it needs. Go easy with ginger as it can dominate. I haven’t added sugar to mine since the beginning as I prefer it less sweet.

[www.goodfood.com.au]
May 05, 2018 02:44PM
I assume you top up the fluid component at each use TPANDAV?
May 05, 2018 11:38PM
Not always, the meat gives off some liquid in the form of dissolved connective tissue (and fat) and the volume of the stock stays pretty constant. I retain the fat in the stock.
May 06, 2018 12:24AM
What cuts of meat work well cooking in a stock?
May 06, 2018 01:53AM
I like pork hocks, pork belly, a whole duck, a whole chicken. With poultry it is best to truss the bird with string and make a loop at the top so you can get it out of the cooking liquid without it falling apart.
May 07, 2018 11:09PM
TPANDAV - How would you cook pork belly in such a liquid? What is your cooking method?
May 07, 2018 11:27PM
Exactly the same. Simmer for about three or four hours.
May 08, 2018 04:29AM
Thanks - sorry to sound dumb and that this thread has gone off topic, but cooking pork belly this way - there is not an intention to have any crackling?
May 08, 2018 06:11AM
No crackling. Crackling is nice but not an essential part of pork cookery. Pork skin when braised gently for a long period becomes luscious and melting and I actually prefer it to crackling (my husband disagrees). As a bonus it's so much less fraught than watching over the last stages of crackling, peering into a hot oven as it spits and threatens to burn before it bubbles.
May 20, 2018 05:47AM
The Masterstock is the real success of my first play with this. Still suffering from a virus I went to bed for an hour or two and the 'slow' cooker boiled far too fast, the pork hock was still good (the skin particularly) but the meat wasn't exactly melting. Never-the-less it was a super meal. I have reduced the stock (inadequate freezer space) and have learned for myself that ginger can dominate. Thank you to all who shared their experience and advice above. Hmmmmm. A duck, perhaps, next?
May 20, 2018 07:28AM
I used the stock from this time and did another pork hock. It was delicious, but the stock did reduce and dont think there is enough to do a third hock. I have still kept it though.
May 20, 2018 08:53AM
Because I serve it in a bowl with rice and a reasonable amount of the stock (think soupy rice with pieces of meat) I rarely have enough of it left to cover the next hock, but just top it up with more spices, sauce and chicken stock according to what I think is needed for the next one. It doesn't need much in the way of spices as the master stock is already full of flavour from the long slow cooking - but it does need more liquid.

I do brown the hock first as I think this adds to the flavour. Not in the recipe but a nice addition if you're doing the soupy rice thing is to add a couple of handfuls of baby spinach to the serving bowl before you pour the hot stock over. I wouldn't add it to the base stock if you intend keeping it - I feel it would change the flavour too much.
Lynne2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 09:21AM by Lynne2.
June 07, 2018 07:29AM
May I ask how long the master stock lasts in the fridge. I want to use it again soon, and it would be easier not to freeze.

It has a good thick layer of pork fat sitting on the top - about 1 cm.
June 07, 2018 08:34AM
I think it would easily last a week if it is refrigerated promptly, left undisturbed and kept very cold.
June 07, 2018 09:31AM
Thank you so much
DK
August 19, 2018 08:16AM
I roast mine like a mini pork roast but better because there is a high ratio of crackling to meat. I cook it in my clay Romertopf and then finish in the air fryer to get the crackling perfect.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.