Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Lemongrass

Posted by Vanessa45 
Lemongrass
May 07, 2018 01:43AM
Ive just been given quite a bit of fresh lemongrass. My friends bush is huge, she's been growing it or years.

What can I use it for?

Jumping to my mind is Thai hot n spicy/sour soups.
Im assuming popping it in the freezer will work to preserve it?

Vanessa
Re: Lemongrass
May 07, 2018 03:19AM
I always freeze our lemongrass. I have a wonderful marinade which is lemongrass, ginger, chilli, garlic minced up in the processor (can’t remember off the top of my head if there is a liquid - can post the recipe if it appeals). I then dice chicken breasts and place in a plastic bag with the marinade and knead over several hours to get the marinade to penetrate the chicken for flavour. Coat with flour and deep fry. Wonderful appetiser dunked in sweet chilli sauce
May 07, 2018 03:34AM
Please do post that recipe, Irene.. sounds great.
May 07, 2018 03:48AM
Will do tomorrow morning when I am on the laptop with my recipes
May 07, 2018 05:23PM
Here is the recipe which was in a trade newsletter received - so I have no idea of the original source

10 chicken wings/pieces (I use boneless chicken breast diced)
2 lemongrass stalks (lower portion only), finely sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 bird's eye chilies, chopped
a large knob (about two inches) of ginger, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons fish sauce
juice of one lime
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup flour
oil for deep frying

Wipe the chicken wings. Cut through the joints so that each wing becomes three pieces. Discard the wing tips (or set side for making broth).

2. Prepare the marinade. Using a mortar and pestle or mini food processor, grind the lemongrass stalks, garlic, chilies and ginger to a paste. Mix the spice paste with the fish sauce, lime juice and sugar.

3. Place the chicken in shallow container. Pour in the marinade. (I place into a fruit & veg bag from the supermarket as it allows me to knead the marinade into the meat)

4. Mix well, working the marinade into the meat. Cover and leave to allow the meat the absorb the flavors for about half an hour. (I keep 'kneading' the marinade into the meat approx every hour for about 3 hours)

5. Heat a wok or frying pan and pour in enough cooking oil to a depth of two inches.(I use the deep fryer)

6. Drain the chicken wings. Place in a clean bowl, add the starch (I use flour) and toss coat lightly (a resealable bag will do well too).

7. When the oil is hot (350F if you're using a thermometer; otherwise, wait for fine wisps of smoke to appear), deep fry the chicken in two batches. Cook all the little drumsticks (drumettes) together.
When the undersides are golden brown and crisp (about three to four minutes), flip them over and cook the opposite side for about two to three minutes. Scoop out and drain move to a strainer. Cook the remaining pieces. Because the meat is not as thick, the second batch require a shorter cooking time. Scoop them out and move to the strainer.
May 07, 2018 05:45PM
This is simple and tasty.

Pork with Lemongrass (Vietnamese)

Serves 2

2 ½ tab peanut or coconut oil
1 onion cut in strips
4 cloves garlic crushed
2 stalks lemongrass peeled & finely chopped
400g sliced pork fillet
3 tab fish sauce
1 ½ tsp sugar
¾ c water
coriander leaves

In a wok or sauté pan fry oil, onion, garlic and lemongrass. When just brown add pork and stir fry until whitened. Add fish sauce, sugar and water, cook until tender and liquid evaporated. Coriander on top.

Serve with rice.
May 08, 2018 04:15PM
There are a variety of recipes on foodlovers that use lemongrass.
The Asian Beef Stew is a winter winner with my family.
I grow lemongrass but also buy it shredded in frozen packs, all you need to do is snap off a chunk and add it straight to recipes. It is readily available like this in the frreezer section of Asian supermarkets/grocery stores.
May 11, 2018 12:31AM
Thanks, Irene and TPANDAV, I look forward to trying both of these. I love that lemongrass/garlic/ginger combination.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.