Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Scotched Eggs splitting

Posted by gran 
Scotched Eggs splitting
June 09, 2018 11:53AM
We love scotched eggs. I add some grated carrot and moroccan spice to the sausage meat. Use damp hands to mould the sausage meet over the egg, then roll in breadcrumbs and bake in my best friend, my bench top oven. I use 4 large eggs to 500g of sausage meat which should be sufficient to cover the egg. Often they will split during the cooking process - any tips to prevent this? They are delicious hot or cold and a good addition to a teenagers lunch.
Re: Scotched Eggs splitting
June 10, 2018 10:57AM
Gran, I suggest you may be leaving a few cracks in the meat as it is wrapped around the egg. Wet hands and make really smooth - like working with clay!!!
June 10, 2018 12:45PM
I wonder if it could be a temperature issue? New oven, or using a fan bake setting with a recipe designed for a non fan oven? Usually cracks are caused by rapid heating causing steam to escape quickly (at least in baking).
June 10, 2018 01:08PM
My suspicion would be the bench top oven, they can be pretty harsh. Like Griz suggested, getting too hot too quickly.. being so close to the elements can be just too much heat. Have you tried a normall oven? Dies the same thing happen?
June 11, 2018 02:32AM
Hi Gran - I bake these in the oven, but in my usual one, and they sometimes split too. I think when they do it's because I've had the sausage meat too thin where the split occurs.
June 11, 2018 02:35AM
Whenever I have made these I have used more sausage meat than stated in the recipe to make it easier to get an even coverage. Perhaps use smaller size 6 eggs would help too?
Regards,
Dawn.
June 12, 2018 05:51AM
What is a few cracks between friends? I make mine in the microwave, yes they crack sometimes but it is usually me trying to stretch the meat for "just one more."
June 12, 2018 10:00AM
Yes I agree, having seen all the posts wonder if my bench top oven is on too high, will try a lower temp. Do spend quite a bit of time pressing the sausage meat around the egg, will spend a bit more time. They are delicious though.
June 13, 2018 02:07AM
Do you give each egg a coating of flour before you mould the sausage meat around it? Some recipes say to do that and some don't and yet there must be a reason for it, although I'm not sure it would make any difference to the meat splitting when cooking. Just a thought.
Regards,
Dawn.
June 13, 2018 09:48AM
Thanks Dawn will give it try. Thank you. Gran
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.