Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Survey on Meat Tastes

Posted by helen 
Survey on Meat Tastes
July 20, 2018 11:08PM
My Friend Kate at Gourmet Direct is doing some post graduate study on our meat tastes and perceptions.
If you have time would you mind filling this survey out to help her get a good collection of answers.
Meat Consumer Survey

Thanks so much
Re: Survey on Meat Tastes
July 21, 2018 01:15AM
Done. It's interesting that there is obviously a plan to produce rose veal in NZ. I remember about five years ago it was huge in the UK, promoted in particular by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, but it seems to have fallen below the radar now.
July 23, 2018 08:24AM
We are known to be a bit squeamish about veal I think. I wonder if it is the milk fed aspect that puts people off.
Not sure.
What do others think?
July 23, 2018 09:43AM
Milk fed veal was my favourite meat as a child and teen -- not knowing anything about where it came from (no idea if my mother knew or not!). If it were more humanely produced and reasonably priced, I'd love to eat more veal.
July 23, 2018 09:44AM
There’s something about the texture that makes me uncomfortable, and milk fed lamb has the same effect. It has a squishy feel about it which I don’t enjoy. I’ve enjoyed white veal in Italy (Saltimbocca in particular) and I love calves’ liver, so I don’t think it is me being squeamish. I would love to try rose veal.
July 23, 2018 11:09AM
The saltimbocca I had in Milan when I was young and travelling remains one of my favourite meals of all time smiling smiley
July 23, 2018 11:28PM
We ate veal regularly when I lived in the UK and I loved it. Since being here in NZ (1967) I've never seen 'real' (milk fed) veal on sale. We used to be able to get veal, but it was just an insipid pale colour lacking in any flavour.

Another meat that's gone from the market is hogget. To me, it's far superior to lamb for flavour. I've tried mutton a couple of times when making a casserole but the smell is atrocious. I suppose hogget has disappeared because it costs more to keep the animals, and as lamb is so quick to 'turn around' and make a profit, hogget has gone.
July 24, 2018 04:37AM
At one time I wanted some milk fed veal and asked at an organic butchery whether they had it or could get it. He told me that I would be very lucky to get it as most of ours is exported.
Another local butcher sells veal schnitzels both crumbed and pre-crumbed. We often buy those. Until I read this I had never heard of rose veal.
J1
July 25, 2018 03:38AM
Lorna, I was pondering the disappearance of hogget over 10 years ago...see [forum.foodlovers.co.nz]
July 25, 2018 03:54AM
All done, I remember eating veal as a child crumbed, I never see it theses days?
Maybe I need to look a harder.
Vanessa
July 25, 2018 10:12AM
When I see veal chops on sale in the supermarkets, I buy a couple then beat the flesh out still on the bone, crumb with panko, parmesan and lemon zest and it is a very nice chop when pan fried. These chops are just veal - probably runner chops not rose or milk fed - I do the same with pork chops but remove the skin before flattening out a little bit. Snipping the edges to prevent curling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2018 10:17AM by Kone.
July 25, 2018 10:13AM
Vanessa if you are in Tauranga I can tell where we buy ours.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.