Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Cleaned Up

Posted by Lorna 
Cleaned Up
August 17, 2018 10:18PM
Good Morning Foodlovers

This morning I deleted approximately 50 spam posts from this forum and the Non-food Forum. I usually visit the forums between 7 & 8am every morning, so come in after that time if you want spam-free reading.

Lorna
Re: Cleaned Up
August 18, 2018 03:15AM
Thanks Lorna.
August 18, 2018 08:13AM
Well done, Lorna.thumbs up
August 18, 2018 09:52AM
Ah, that's why all my posts look like I haven't read them then.
August 18, 2018 11:17PM
Griz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah, that's why all my posts look like I haven't
> read them then.

Oh is that the reason? I get that from time to time, with no red flags in the main menu so it looks as if the there are no new posts, but all messages flagged in each individual forum.
August 19, 2018 09:28AM
Yes, it happens during the clean up after a spam attack.
August 21, 2018 03:43AM
Great stuff Lorna
August 21, 2018 08:07AM
What a great asset you are not only to us but Helen, she will be so grateful with her busy life.
August 22, 2018 03:10AM
Well done Lorna
August 22, 2018 02:49PM
Go you, Lorna! Great work!
August 27, 2018 10:23PM
Lorna, thanks for doing this thankless never ending job.
August 28, 2018 02:28AM
Thank you for your Thank-you's everyone. There haven't been any more since I did the clean up and if I do them as they come up, it won't be an arduous task at all.

Just a concensus wanted: If a brand new member posts a sensible, relevant reply to a post then adds a seemingly unrelated link on the bottom, do I delete it? I left one the other day and the person hasn't posted again as far as I know. I don't usually click on the links to see what they are. Let me have your opinion on this please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2018 02:33AM by Lorna.
August 28, 2018 03:03AM
I personally, but I am not a moderator obviously, would delete. They are just looking for clicks. But that is my opinion.

Similarly with regards to the poster from Poland mentioned as being missed in another post.... my thoughts regarding this person was that for an apparently stay at home mother, her photos were extremely professional with proper lighting etc - and I also thought this was click baiting? Who knows????????
August 28, 2018 03:14AM
I am always very wary of links, especially when they come with messages that are not totally to the point. Mostly the links are either to someone's blog, someone's promotion or, at worst, to a downloadable piece of malware.

In most message boards, even in these unmannerly times, new members will briefly introduce themselves before launching into a post. If in doubt delete.
August 28, 2018 04:31AM
Lorna I'm sure you've taken a weight off Helen's shoulders with the busy life she leads.

The people who add an unrelated link at the bottom of their posts are devious and should be deleted IMHO. They will soon learn that their posts are acceptable without those links.

I tend to have the same feeling as Irene regarding the posts from Poland.
Regards,
Dawn.
August 28, 2018 04:49AM
I assume that Flora from Poland found that her postings to this message board weren't resulting in enough clicks to her blog and that's why she gave up on us. Most bloggers these days seem to be aiming for "influencer" status rather than having a genuine need to share their stories.
August 28, 2018 07:14AM
Lorna I have just 'reported' a post..............do you still want us to report, or will we just leave them up to you to delete in the mornings? smiling smiley
Regards,
Dawn.
August 28, 2018 10:45PM
Dawn, there's generally no need to report a post as I come in every day and will delete them. I don't seem to see any reports of individual posts; what I see at the top of the Forum page is a notice that says the following posts require attention, etc, etc, and every post made is marked as needing attention.

The only time reporting may be necessary is if I'm away on holiday and not checking in. I will let all of you and Helen know if I'm going to be away for more that a couple of days.

I've just deleted one now, I hope it's the one you were talking about Dawn.
August 28, 2018 11:12PM
Ok thanks Lorna, I didn't think it would be necessary to report. The one I reported has gone. smiling smiley
D.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.