Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Cherry jam

Posted by Spargo 
Cherry jam
September 03, 2018 09:08PM
Hi, I’m looking for a great cherry jam. I’ve made in past with lemon juice and want to try again to try and give it mor “cherry” flavour. Last attempt seemed a bit lack lustre. I’m wondering if anyone has tried slow roasting fruit before making a jam? Thanks
Re: Cherry jam
September 23, 2018 08:05PM
I don't like cherry jam but when I need to make a thickened cherry mixture for a Black Forest cake I add some frozen raspberries to the mixture and that makes it very nice
that is using the morello cherries for a Black Forest

I do not like sweet cherries cooked but the raspberries may improve your cherry jam, whatever cherries you are using
September 26, 2018 04:52PM
You could add a splash of Amaretto or Disaronno (almond flavoured liqueur) to your jam. I was given a lovely Blueberry Jam once which had a liqueur in it but I could never find it again, we used it all up in one go on a bridal shower. The almond flavour will boost the cherry and is delicious. There is an Italian dessert where you top vanilla ice cream with Amarena cherries in syrup then top with a nip of Amaretto and crushed almond biscuits - to die forsmiling smiley You could use your finished jam for this dessert let down with a bit of hot water.
September 26, 2018 05:03PM
The Bonne Maman Cherry Conserve which I enjoy has 50g of fruits per 100g. It has brown cane sugar and concentrated lemon juice and fruit pectin. It's very good!
September 27, 2018 02:56AM
Hello Spargo, this orchard sells sour cherries [www.evergroworchard.nz]
I have friends who have family in Oamaru and they have bought the cherries for me - I live in Queenstown. I don't know whether they would courier any to you. Cherry jam made with eating cherries will never give the true cherry jam flavour that you are after, no matter how much lemon juice you add. Believe me, I've tried!
joy
October 15, 2018 10:45PM
We have two cherry trees and I make cherry and raspberry jam each year. Just love getting a whole cherry and the raspberry flavor on hot scones. Family enjoy the fruity mix too.
October 15, 2018 11:23PM
Or if you have trouble sourcing sour cherries (we have in the past, but haven't tried recently), you can purchase Sour Cherry Jam online here at Deli Transylvania - they sell Romanian sourced products and we often purchase from them for products that hubby misses from home. Can highly recommend and excellent pricing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.