Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Grated Apple Slice

Posted by Ali W 
Grated Apple Slice
September 28, 2018 02:55AM
Having friends for dinner and a movie tomorrow night - we all want family style food, so it will be simple.I have made a Grated Apple Slice - I would link the recipe but I don't know how - it is a shortbread style base, lemon cream cheese filling and topped with grated apple and saved crumbled base mixture. Then baked. I plan to serve it with softly whipped cream. Do you think it needs anything else on the side?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2018 02:56AM by Ali W.
Re: Grated Apple Slice
September 28, 2018 05:43AM
Ice creamsmiling bouncing smiley
September 28, 2018 08:10AM
I'd offer cream and/or coconut yogurt. Sounds yummy.
September 28, 2018 03:31PM
Thanks - I was wondering about yogurt!

I also think I have been watching too much Masterchef as I was thinking “I only have 2 elements on my dish”. Next thing I will be telling my husband I am working the pass when I am dishing up dinner!

ha ha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2018 03:32PM by Ali W.
September 28, 2018 07:18PM
I'd choose yoghurt, as well. For me it would be Greek unflavoured yoghurt.
The dessert does sound delicious.
Ali, is it similar to this?
[www.womensweeklyfood.com.au]
September 28, 2018 08:09PM
That’s the very one!
September 28, 2018 09:41PM
Thanks, Ali. I have saved it.
Did you peel the apple before grating?
September 28, 2018 09:45PM
Ali W Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Next thing I will be
> telling my husband I am working the pass when I am
> dishing up dinner!

Thanks to the cooking show effect I regularly yell from the kitchen "Five minutes to the window!" and, if that doesn't produce the desired effect, "Service please!"smiling smiley
J1
September 28, 2018 09:48PM
What a deceptive photo. The delicious looking brown-coloured cake (top left of photo) looks like it relates to the recipe, yet from the ingredients and method it can't have anything to do with it, and the recipe instead is for the pale, thin slice at the bottom right of the photo.... It's dated December 1976 (!) and probably originally had two recipes relating to the photo...
September 28, 2018 11:21PM
it really is delicious - and Marnie, I did peel the apples. Sometimes those old recipes are just the best.
September 29, 2018 05:42AM
Thank you, Ali, I will peel them. I have a recipe that came from Dame Alison Holst years ago, it is a Crunchy Apple Pie and those apple weren't peeled. It gives it a different texture to a peeled grated apple. Yes, I like trying new things but I often make old favourites.
I do agree J1, when I first looked at it I thought that cannot be the one. Some never seem to update their websites.
J1
September 29, 2018 07:02PM
Heh, Marnie, yes, well, there was no internet (as we know it) in 1976 (I used my first computer in 1978! - pioneering days...) but I'm guessing they put up a photo taken from a printed magazine and the photo was originally referencing two recipes (Ali's one and what looks to be like some type of carrot cake...?) and instead of trying to cut off the irrelevant cake image, they've just kept the photo as it originally was.
September 30, 2018 12:34AM
That sounds like a logical exclamation J1. I remember sitting the lounge floor with our very early home computer and my 2 children somewhere in the mid 70's. I imagine a lot of data such as recipes probably being entered en masse.
September 30, 2018 04:30PM
I know you are all excitedly waiting to hear how it went (not!) but I offered both yogurt and cream and the yogurt remained untouched. The slice was good to the last bite 3 days after it was made.
October 04, 2018 10:41PM
Thanks for your feedback, Ali. I think giving a choice is always good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.