Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Dates in Bliss Balls

Posted by amwilliams 
Dates in Bliss Balls
October 04, 2018 05:09AM
Am going to make some Bliss Balls from Helen's recipe for Chocolate Bliss Balls.
In the recipe she says 12 Medjool dates. The dates I bought look quite small. What is it about Medjool dates - are they bigger than the other ones? Where do you buy them from?
Thanks
Re: Dates in Bliss Balls
October 04, 2018 08:58AM
Medjool dates are fresh, soft and more plump than the cheaper dried variety sold with the baking items. I buy Medjool dates in the fruit and vege dept of my local supermarket, all 3 supermarkets here carry them. I think if you are using the dried ones I'd use more of them and give them a soak first but I haven't tried this before.
October 04, 2018 09:26AM
Maybe Helen will reply and let us know why she has specified medjool dates. Meanwhile, in my experience any fresh soft dates will be fine.

There is an Iranian brand of fresh date, Mazafati, in a green box, that is sold widely in NZ; they are really lovely and would be perfect for any recipe that needs soft dates.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2018 09:28AM by TPANDAV.
October 04, 2018 09:40PM
I too use the ordinary dried dates from the supermarket when I have made Bliss balls. But, I do add more, maybe double the quantity of dates in the recipe, usually cut them in half too & soak them for a short time before mixing everything together in my chopper.
October 05, 2018 10:21PM
Yes as Mantilla says you can use dried dates but you would definitely need to add more, probably double the amount and soften them in liquid first
Fresh dates are often used due to their texture. Our supermarket generally has Medjool dates but any fresh date is fine.
October 05, 2018 10:44PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I decided to double the quantity of dates and it worked fine.
October 06, 2018 01:44AM
If I use the standard dates for any baking I soak them in liquid, usually water, first.
I tend to see medjool dates as being more dessert dates. I have never tried the mazafati ones.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.