Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Do ahead brunch ideas

Posted by Griz 
Do ahead brunch ideas
October 08, 2018 06:27AM
We're having an engagement party for our son here this weekend, and it looks like I'll have a full house on Sunday morning, for a probably slightly hungover brunch. I'd like to have something pre-made that I can just whip into the oven, make some coffee and put out some juice...any ideas and preferably recipes?
I'll make a fruit salad and put out yogurt and muesli, so probably something savoury would be good.
Re: Do ahead brunch ideas
October 08, 2018 08:35AM
My standbys are a Spanish tortilla or this Breakfast Slab. Both are gluten-free, soothing and filling.

Breakfast Slab

serves 6 - 8

150 g chopped bacon
100g chopped mushrooms
200 g cooked spinach, chopped & well drained
1 cup of grated tasty cheddar or gruyere cheese
10 eggs
pepper
salt
sliced tomato

Line a baking dish with non stick paper, then spread over bacon & mushrooms (this helps hold the sides of the paper out). Mix eggs in a bowl to combine the yolks & whites, then add salt, pepper, spinach & cheese. Mix well then pour over the bacon & mushrooms. Spread out evenly & top with sliced tomato.

Bake around 180 degrees until just set. Serve warm or room temperature, keeps in the fridge for several days.
October 08, 2018 11:15AM
Congrats smiling smiley
October 08, 2018 11:16AM
How about the silver palate chicken Marbella using chicken wings or drum sticks. It can be cooked the day before and served room temperature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2018 11:22PM by meganp.
J1
October 08, 2018 08:16PM
Don't forget to have a nice bread....
October 08, 2018 11:53PM
My favorite dishes for this sort of thing are to buy plenty of Cheese Kransky's and put in a singe layer in a baking dish (or two) and then simply cook for about 20 minutes at 160 fan. Pile onto a serving platter and serve with tomato sauce and a chutney. The other one is a Strata which is a savory bread and butter pudding. It can be prepared ahead, left in the fridge overnight then put into the oven with the kranskys. If you google Breakfast Strata heaps of different variations and recipes come up. It might be fun to make some Bloody Marys with lots of celery garnish. The other easy option for a crowd is to warm croissants in the oven, serve piled on a big platter and have a tray of different things to fill them, sliced tomato, ham or bacon, cheese, smoked salmon, nutella, jam, honey whatever.
October 09, 2018 12:02AM
Just a side note, the Strata takes about an hour to cook so you would put it in before the Kransky's if you're doing bothsmiling smiley
October 12, 2018 11:33PM
Congratulations and hope the brunch is going well

Im having a wedding brunch after my wedding in February and plan on doing this...

A cooked ham ( Yep I know its not long after Xmas and people are probably hammed out but its an easy way to have delicious meat that doesnt need much attention on the day)

Fresh buns with a selection of chutneys/mustards.

Supermarket slaws - a variety as well as crispy lettuce, tomato

Good quality sausages so the boys can stand around the BBQ nursing their hangovers

Leftover wine/beer and lots of coffee/sparkling water

Leftover wedding cake (ordered fro the Caker - Auckland and OH MY does it taste AMAZING)

Vanessa
October 13, 2018 04:51AM
One brunch I went to had a baked bubble and squeak type dish. The hostess said it didn't take long as she already had the cold potatoes, she used mashed rather than pre-roasted. Plus all of the other type of cooked vegetables we would normally add to bubble and squeak. It was done in a largish roasting dish and cut into portions.
I don't know precise quantities but then my bubble and squeak is never precise. Here is an idea.

[www.belleaukitchen.com]

Sorry, I realise it is already "this weekend" but this is the first time in days I've lifted my head from the pillow.
October 14, 2018 07:03AM
Oh dear Marnie, I hope you are feeling better. Vanessa congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

Our party went very well, we ended up with over 50 people in our little house! My future-co-mum and I have founded the original chapter of "Over caterers anonymous"... Both us foody types, and we had sooooooo much food!

I ended up doing potato leek rosti a few days ago, which we reheated, along with pre-poached eggs heated up in boiled water, and I persuaded Hubby to cook some nice brekkie sausies. I don't really know why I changed my mind, I was going to do TPANDAVs savoury slice recipe and put slices in to nice bread rolls. So thank you everyone for your ideas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.