Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Onion Weed - edible?

Posted by Danube 
Onion Weed - edible?
October 12, 2018 05:08PM
This year for some reason I have had lots of Onion Weed come up on the property. I was complaining about how hard it is to get rid of and my daughter said that she had read that it is delicious and completely edible. Has anyone else tried it? I googled it and found a few articles including this:
[www.podgardening.co.nz]
"The bulbs can be pickled just like pickling onions. Flowers make an attractive addition to salads and the leaves can be chopped and added to potato salads, soups and stocks or in dishes that require a mild oniony flavour. Whole young plants can be or used just like a spring onion in sandwiches and salads."

I'd be interested to know if anyone uses them.
Re: Onion Weed - edible?
October 15, 2018 10:27PM
Our garden is full of it a real pain extremely hard to get rid of too, it chokes other plants. I do believe the Asians use it in their cooking & I don’t see why it wouldn’t be edible but I have never done so.
Re: Onion Weed - edible?
October 16, 2018 07:41PM
Out of curiosity I just googled edible onion weed and it seems you can easily use it as you would spring onion.
Chopped up in butter with garlic is apparently delicious too.

I havent ever used them but might just give it ago next time I see them growing wild...

Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.