Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Cauliflower salad recipe please

Posted by jenny891 
Cauliflower salad recipe please
October 25, 2018 11:40PM
Hi ,
Does anyone have a cauliflower salad recipe which they can recommend please.
I have 35 people coming for dinner tomorrow, and heaps of califlowers that are all ready at once, so a cauliflower salad will be one of my choices.
There are so many on the internet, but i,d love a recipe that's a family favourite please.
Re: Cauliflower salad recipe please
October 26, 2018 12:18AM
Thus is my favourite, from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. It is very simple to make. I know tomatoes are out of season but you don't need a huge quantity and the combination of flavours is great.

Cauliflower, Tomato & Caper Salad

serves 6 - 8

1 small cauli
300g ripe tomatoes
2 tab capers, rinsed
3 tab top quality extra virgin olive oil
juice of ½ lemon
salt & pepper
parsley to garnish

Cut cauli into small florets, boil 2 min until just tender. Drain well.

Remove seeds from tomatoes, chop roughly, add to cauli. Add rest of ingredients, leave at room temp at least 1 hour to develop.
J1
October 26, 2018 03:33AM
I don't have a recipe but roasted cauliflower slices or florets are SO delicious. A wee bit of lovely NZ olive oil stirred through to coat them and then onto an oven tray at 150°C until they look ready (½ to ¾ hr depending on your oven).
October 26, 2018 06:03AM
This is an old family favourite, but not up to modern standards because of all the mayonnaise and sour cream. I'm even a bit hesitant to put it up on Foodlovers, but decided I would because it's at your discretion whether you use it or not. We love it and the curry powder and raisins make it (of course along with the dressing)! smiling smiley

CURRIED CAULIFLOWER SALAD
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream (or you could use Greek yoghurt)
2 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste (I use mild curry powder)
1 finely chopped onion
Parsley, chopped
1 uncooked cauliflower - cut into very small florets (tip of your little finger size)
1/2 cup raisins, add more if you'd like

Mix all ingredients together and let stand in fridge at least 3 hours before using. Sprinkle with a dusting of sumac or paprika before serving.

Regards,
Dawn.
October 26, 2018 08:10AM
Dawn,I love the sound of your recipe. Does the cauli soften or stay hard and crunchy? I am wondering if you could chop finely as well, the stalks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2018 08:10AM by Irene Field.
jj
October 26, 2018 09:24AM
I used to make a version of your recipe Dawn which included yogurt in place of sour cream, chopped bacon and I think from memory walnuts. Probably overdoing it a bit. Your's sounds lovely.
October 26, 2018 12:15PM
Hi Irene! Yes the cauliflower stays hard and crunchy and I do include the stalks as well minus the outer skin. My description of the tip of your little finger means from the last joint to the tip or a bit bigger, meaning not to cut the cauli so small that you lose the florets in the dressing. Once you've made 'once', it you will know what size you want to use.

jj your suggestion of using bacon and chopped walnuts would also be really lovely - thanks for that idea.

Lynette, who is a Foodlover here, put up a recipe some years ago for Brocolli Salad which includes bacon and that also has become a firm favourite in our family. (Hi Lynette, and thank you!)
Regards,
Dawn.
October 26, 2018 10:04PM
A whisper in your ear, Dawn: Lynette is Irene's sister. winking smiley
October 26, 2018 10:29PM
Haha correct Lorna, I have met both Irene and Lynette and you too winking smiley You are all lovely ladies!!!! It was talking of raw cauli salad that made me think of broccoli salad so it was in hindsight that I mentioned Lynette's yummy salad as it is made with raw broccoli, but has a totally different dressing. I thought some Foodlovers may have a glut of broccoli and be interested. smiling smiley I was going to link the recipe, but I couldn't find it - I will have another go at finding the recipe and add the link.
Regards,
Dawn.
Edited to add the link - don't know why I couldn't find it in the first place [www.foodlovers.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2018 10:32PM by Dawn.
October 28, 2018 04:27AM
I make a similar one Dawn . I , too , have made Lynette's broccoli salad.winking smiley
October 28, 2018 06:45AM
I am the Lynette but not Dawns sister & yes my broccoli salad is so lovely I am after a few years still requested to bring it to functions. It keeps for a few days too & I don’t use bacon if I am having meat with it.
October 28, 2018 09:34AM
Haha. Been reading this thread and thinking “Broccoli Salad? I don’t remember making Broccoli Salad?”
Thanks Lynette V - thought it was age affecting my memory spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
October 28, 2018 11:45AM
Mistaken identity! Lynette (or PNG Lynette as we used to know her by) I always had attributed the recipe to her and thought of her every time I made it. Now I will thank Lyn V (alias Lynette V) and always think of you when I make it especially as I've met you too! But yes, (PNG) Lynnette and Irene are still sisters, and no, Lynette and I are not. Confused?
Never mind!grinning smiley
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2018 11:46AM by Dawn.
October 29, 2018 09:59AM
Thanks to everyone for their replies and suggestions.
I made Dawn's recipe and added cranberries and roasted cashew nut. it was very tasty.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.