Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Lamb Shoulder Recipe

Posted by Plates 
Lamb Shoulder Recipe
December 19, 2018 08:45AM
I want to try this recipe, but the only seasoning seems to be in the onions. Is this going to do the job, or would you add some additional salt somewhere along the line.

[www.gourmettraveller.com.au]
Re: Lamb Shoulder Recipe
December 19, 2018 10:47AM
When you read the recipe in Method under Main (2) it says "Season to taste". Definitely add salt and pepper here. Oh, and when reading more carefully at the end of method (2) it says to season again to taste.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2018 10:52AM by Danube.
December 19, 2018 10:50AM
For Saffron Pillaf, method (3) again it says season to taste. This is a recipe that just assumes you will season to taste as you go with no actual amounts stated.
December 19, 2018 12:11PM
Several years ago there was a programme that was on TV (Adrian someone) that had the mantra "salt loves meat, and meat loves salt"...my cooking improved immeasurably when I realised I'd been under seasoning. Always salt meat before cooking it!
December 20, 2018 03:56AM
In Samin Nosrat's wonderful book "Salt, Acid, Fat, Heat" the advice on salting meat is worth reading. I learned from it that salting meat well in advance makes a tremendous difference to the juiciness and tenderness, especially prime cuts like steaks, wing rib and lamb rack. I now liberally salt small cuts like fillet, T-bone and sirloin for at least 24 hours, ideally 48 hours, and larger cuts like lamb rack and wing rib at least 48 hours, ideally longer. The meat doesn't end up oversalted, just well seasoned and tasty. Use good quality salt that is free from anti-caking chemicals. I use Murray River salt, failing that Maldon or Marlborough Pacific..
December 20, 2018 06:06AM
Adrian Richardson is the chef with the 'meat loves salt, salt loves meat' (or vice versa) mantra. He's Australian and did a series called Secret Meat Business several years ago, and another called Good Chef, Bad Chef, both of which are getting a re-run on ThreeLife right now. In the latter series he partners with a Good Chef whose recipes lean towards the healthy - lots of quinoa, tofu, spelt, natural sweeteners, nut milks, etc. - whereas he is Bad Chef, gleefully using large amounts of butter, cheese, salt, etc. Each episode is themed eg. rice based, an international region, vegetarian, desserts, and so on, and they each do their good/bad versions of the theme. His mantra re salt is quoted in almost every episode.
Lynne2
December 20, 2018 08:56AM
Thanks for the fantastic responses everyone.

I think I will add say 2tsp to the marinade. The cut I have is about 1.3Kg bone in. My instinct tells me thats still a bit light, but this way I can still add some at the end. What do you think.
December 20, 2018 10:27AM
Two tsp sounds about right. I usually find that spicy food needs more salt than non-spicy, so do check it and adjust if necessary.
December 21, 2018 02:51AM
Thanks so much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.