Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Courgettes and cucumbers!

Posted by Janet or Emma 
Courgettes and cucumbers!
January 07, 2019 06:43PM
It’s that time of year again. What’s your favourite preserve or way of using them, other than slice, cake, etc. last year I made lots of courgette slice then froze it for quick meals in the winter. That worked really well. A couple of years ago I made a really nice cucumber pickle, but do you think I know where I found the recipe! No! Thanks. I look forward to your suggestions. Janet
Re: Courgettes and cucumbers!
January 07, 2019 08:01PM
This is my favourite cucumber pickle. It goes wonderfully with cheese and cold meats.

Bread & Butter Pickle

9 small pots

1.4 kg peeled and sliced cucumbers
450 g brown onion, finely sliced
2 red capsicums, cored and finely sliced
40g salt
285 g white or raw sugar
40g yellow mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp ground mace
600 ml cider or white wine vinegar

Layer veges with salt, cover and stand 2 - 3 hours. Drain, rinse in cold water and drain again. Meanwhile put rest of ingredients in a preserving pan and boil 2 min. Add drained veges and bring up to a boil, stirring frequently. As soon as it reaches a full boil pot in small jars and cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2019 08:02PM by TPANDAV.
January 08, 2019 12:24AM
I spiralize our courgettes and use instead of pasta a bit hit in our house. Even my hubby who is not fussed on pasta happily eats and cooks them.

Also made some lovely fritters using courgettes and cauli. [thebigmansworld.com]
I feel you could easily season these up with curry or other spices. Need to make another batch and trial freezing them.
January 08, 2019 01:27AM
Zucchini & Feta Fritters

6 small zucchini, grated
Salt
250g white Turkish cheese or feta, crumbled
1/4C finely chopped fresh dill
1/4C finely chopped fresh parsley
4 green onions, finely chopped
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup flour
Freshly ground black pepper
Oil for frying

Place grated zucchini in a colander, sprinkle with salt and let stand at least 20 minutes, or until it loses its juice. Squeeze dry and place in a large bowl. Add the cheese, dill, parsley, onions, eggs, flour, and pepper and mix well. Adjust the seasonings. If batter is too runny, add a little more flour.
Heat oil in a heavy saucepan. Drop batter by tablespoons into oil and fry until golden brown on all sides but still moist inside, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve warm.

I also split smaller zucchini in half lengthwise, scoop out a little bit of the middle, top with grated parmesan and grill until melted.

And, cut them lengthwise into approx 1/2cm slices, dress with olive oil, chopped garlic, lemon zest (optional) salt and pepper. Then cook on the BBQ, grill pan, or non stick frypan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.