Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Funny Food Habits

Posted by helen 
Funny Food Habits
January 08, 2019 10:03PM
A colleague today was waxing lyrical over cream donuts to which my immediate reaction was bleurgh, who would eat that?
Truth is I have never eaten a cream donut but when I think about it I am not sure why I have a strong dislike to the concept.
I have eaten cinnamon donuts before but I just can't fathom having them with cream.

My mother shudders at the thought of a cherry and has never eaten one. Well actually I think we made her eat one a few years ago just to try,

Have you got any weird food aversions like this of things you have never tried? Offal doesn't count as that would cover many of us I think. haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2019 10:04PM by helen.
Re: Funny Food Habits
January 08, 2019 10:25PM
I can't remember ever eating a banana, although my mother tells me I did eat them when I was little, but reluctantly. I have a real physical revulsion of the look and smell of them. I cannot walk past the stand of them in the supermarket, and while on holiday in Brisbane I ordered scrambled eggs, bacon, sour dough and tomatoes, and the owner of the shop decided to dress the plate up with some "tropical fruit" (!!!!!!!! who does that?), so I was confronted with sliced banana on my plate. I should just have sent it back, but it actually induced a panic type reaction, I said to the server "please can we get rid of that" and when she didn't seem to realise there was a problem, I'm afraid I hurled the banana as far away as I could. I then couldn't eat anything else on the plate because it might have been in contact with the banana, so my effort was wasted.
January 08, 2019 11:11PM
Mushrooms. Hate the smell, taste, texture... everything about them. My worst living memory (of the non-major variety) was of my mother making mushroom soup when I was about 7. It was winter and I couldn't go outside to escape the smell... I swear I can still remember it. I have such clear memories of that day!

I also can't do whipped cream or boiled/fried egg whites or poached eggs. Again, the texture. I have a *very* sensitive gag reflex!
January 08, 2019 11:22PM
I have never eaten a raw oyster and never will although I might be missing out on something delicious. I once ate a cooked oyster and that was bad enough. The thought of slime puts me right off. I also won’t eat raw salmon or any kind of raw fish salad. Also the thought of eating a steak that was not cooked right through makes me queasy. I am not a meat eater apart from chicken although I will eat anything if I am a guest. Thank goodness I have not had to cope with any of the aforementioned when invited to a meal. Keep fingers crossed.
January 08, 2019 11:49PM
The only food I'm phobic about is snails. I tried one once when a friend had cooked them for me but I couldn't get it down. It's not the slime factor, because I love oysters, raw and cooked.
January 09, 2019 04:28AM
Seafood of any description. Even the smell! I am grateful it is expensive so I have never faced the dilemma of being served it as a guest. I just cannot get it down. I wish it was not like this as I know it has many benefits. Rabbit too.
January 09, 2019 04:29PM
While I'm not as borderline phobic about seafood as I am banana, I am not a huge fan of it either. The family we shared Christmas dinner with insisted they must have prawns on the barbie. I discussed with them removing shells and poop shoots first but they declared the only way to do it was to put them on the bbq in their shells. Well, I'm pretty sure they were over cooked, but they stunk to high heaven, a mixture of burned hair and fish, it turned my stomach and I didn't enjoy my meal (there were other options). Funnily enough the person who insisted on having them ate 3, declared they weren't as good as they used to be and then the entire platter of them sat on the lazy susan until I couldn't bear it anymore and removed them to the bin (and from there into the freezer to await rubbish day).
January 18, 2019 01:17AM
Prawns. I just can't get over the fact that I'm eating little headless corpses. Hypocritical of me, I know, as although I'm mostly vegetarian I do eat meat occasionally and eat fish.
January 18, 2019 10:13PM
Tongue.....which I am not sure if it is offal or not....I cannot abide the texture.

Aside from that I eat most things - occasionally eggs turn me off, but this is rare.

I do have things that I would not choose to eat - but I can and will eat them. This includes baking containing rice bubbles, aniseed flavoured things (black jellybeans, aniseed rings, Sambuca, Ouzo) - I do eat fennel and black licorice though, twisties and rashuns, smooth peanut butter, anything with fake cream (ie supermarket cakes)....
January 29, 2019 12:10AM
My wife eats sandwiches from the outside in. Eat that circumference first and get rid of that lame crust.
January 30, 2019 06:59AM
Peanut butter & cheese on toast sandwiches at the same time is my guilty pleasure.

About bad eating habits - I don't eat the crust of bread when eating sandwiches. Also I'm not a fan of covering stuff in gravy; especially if it isn't meat.
January 30, 2019 07:53PM
It makes me sad when I see so many people who don't like Fish.

Whilst I understand this won't be true for some people, I have almost universally found that most people who don't like fish, do so because they haven't had fresh fish. Fish that smells fishy (with a few species exceptions) is because it's not fresh. Fish should smell like the SEA. If you look at a fish one way to tell it's fresh is if it's eyes are clear. If they are milky, avoid. Also overcooking fish should be a criminal offence. My mother was someone who never really understood that, so fish in our house was always boiled within an inch of it's existence.

We are very picky about where to get our fish, and insist on freshness. My FIL who had a 50 year hate of fish, now eats fish twice a week as a result of our encouraging him to try some of the dishes I really love and fish types I love like Bluenose.

Both our kids love fish and will eat it raw.
January 31, 2019 03:11AM
Networking, your comments brought back memories. I fried fish when staying at my widowed uncle’s place. He watched me and commented that surely the fish couldn’t have been cooked through after a few minutes because his wife fried it slowly for 20 minutes. I kid you not. He thought the fish I cooked for him was soooo good.
January 31, 2019 04:20AM
Oh the horror of severely overcooked fish. I don't think anything has such a revolting texture.
January 31, 2019 10:18PM
Thick Fillets can benefit from longer low-temperature frying, however, I'd hope that was a total 20 minutes of 10 minutes a side rather than 20 each side LOL.

My rule of thumb for almost all fish if frying would be 2-3 minutes on one side medium heat, then flip and remove from heat and cover.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.