Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Bread Makers and Making Bread

Posted by Danube 
Bread Makers and Making Bread
January 09, 2019 06:50PM
Hi FL, My daughter has decided as part of her no plastic packaging drive she is going to buy a bread maker and make her own bread. She will probably try and get a second hand one unless the must have type is only available brand new. Can you recommend a brand and model? Also any advice on bread making, where to buy flours and good recipes would be appreciated. It is only her, her husband and 8 month old baby so perhaps a machine that can make different loaf sizes would be better, also is it better to have the horizontal pan or vertical? She prefers brown bread but the bread mixes I have seen at the supermarkets seem pretty expensive and I imagine will go stale more quickly than commercial loaves. Her kitchen isn't large so she would need to make sure the investment of another largish appliance will be worth it.
Re: Bread Makers and Making Bread
January 10, 2019 04:15PM
I would recommend she doesn't bother with a bread maker but learns how to bake the 'no-knead' style of loaf. Much tastier, less room taken up in the kitchen and ''no-need" for an expensive, bulky machine. There are numerous web-sites with advice and recipes to get her going on this simple, time-saving method of making bread.
January 11, 2019 03:26AM
I bought the panasonic SD-2501 and found it very effective and also used the 100% wholemeal. I got the machine for around $190. I have since parted ways with it, but because I ditched the bread altogether, not because of the machine itself.
January 11, 2019 04:24AM
I'm a second vote for the no-knead bread, I did this for a while a few years back, thanks for the reminder, I might get back to it this year I think.
J1
January 11, 2019 04:44AM
Third vote for no-knead bread. I've been making mine since 2010 - never buy supermarket bread for myself these days. I make two loaves at a time, with one going into the freezer until I'm eaten the first loaf. However, I did own a terrific Panasonic breadmaker for many years and used it extensively and would recommend it if that's what would still be preferred. I never bought bread mixes. I kept the breadmaker for a long time in the cupboard after I started making the no-knead bread instead, thinking one day I might use it again (and I liked it so much) but that didn't occur so after seven years I gave it to a relative who really wanted one but lacked the funds.
January 11, 2019 05:35AM
Or you could try Nadia Lim's easy seedy bread. You make the mix, put it into the tin or tins depending on size. Then it goes into the oven at a low temperature to rise for a short while. After that the temperature is cranked up to bake. Delicious and very easy and healthy. Recipe is on her website.

Our bread maker is relegated to the laundry storage.
Bev
January 11, 2019 03:03PM
I have a Panasonic breadmaker. I don’t bake in it but do use it for kneading some of my breads.
January 12, 2019 07:28AM
Just reflecting on this, would the energy cost of the breadmaker be a lot less than running an oven to bake every couple of days? I think it probably would be, we need to offset that in the equation too.
January 12, 2019 03:30PM
Another important aspect of breadmakers is the shape of the finished loaf. I always found the tall loaf with a rounded top to be such a nuisance when wanting a sandwich. One slice wasn't enough, two was too much and the shape made awkward sandwiches. I understand there is now a breadmaker that produces a more traditional long loaf rather than a tall one. Is that right?
Bev
January 12, 2019 04:15PM
Yes I agree Lorna. The shape of the loaf pan is one of the reasons I don’t bake in the breadmaker. I have a good sized loaf pan that I use for our daily bread, otherwise I shape and bake the loaves, depending on what I am making. I used to knead my own bread but arthritic wrists and hands have made it too difficult now. I do make a no knead bread from time to time as well.
January 12, 2019 10:36PM
I've been following Jack Munroe AKA The Bootstrap Cook for quite a while now, some of her recipes are very interesting. She's just posted this for bread cooked in the slow cooker. Thought this might interest people on this thread too. [cookingonabootstrap.com]
January 12, 2019 10:46PM
I've noticed there seem to be quite a few late model Breville machines on Marketplace and Trademe, some hardly used, I wonder if the Panasonic is a better bet?
January 13, 2019 04:56PM
Hi Danube,

If you want to get a breadmaker, I would only suggest the Panasonic as find they make the nicest bread. Do agree with the shape being a pain but I'd rather have a weird shape than bread I don't like.
January 14, 2019 03:27AM
I never cared about the shape either. The bread was delicious compared to store bought and for a 100 percent whole meal loaf, it worked out considerably cheaper when compared to the supermarket and thats even you could find a true wholemeal loaf.

The biggest issue I had was cutting it as the bread was so tender, ended up freezing and then slicing while it was hard.

I personally had issues with it around this time of year though as I dont think the panasonic held up well in this hottest heat.
January 14, 2019 04:59AM
My bread maker makes a tall loaf with a rounded top. We have always been happy with the shape of the loaf for sandwiches. I honestly can't see what difference the shape of the loaf makes?
Regards,
Dawn.
January 14, 2019 06:29AM
Agree that Panasonic is the way to go - I have an old model which is showing no signs of giving up. We use it for pizza bases, ciabatta etc. to dough stage these days although when our son was at home I made bread often.

Re the tall loaf shape - I used to tip the loaf on its side and slice it that way.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2019 06:30AM by Barbara Anne.
January 22, 2019 06:50PM
I also agree that the panasonic breadmaker makes the best bread and I don't find the shape an issue. I also make a vogels style no knead bread by hand but still use my breadmakers for other types of bread. Although it does take up room in the kitchen, I think it is a worthwhile addition if you normally buy bread.
January 29, 2019 06:34AM
Sorry, way late for this one, but I agree the Panasonic is the best brand. With regard to bread mixes, there honestly is no need - when I was making bread with a machine, it was literally a five-minute job throwing the ingredients together. You memorise your favourite recipe pretty quickly which makes it even faster. You're right it will stale faster than commercial bread, but that's a good thing as it isn't stuffed with preservatives.
January 29, 2019 04:29PM
I heard Joanne Black on radio the other day saying that she walks for twenty minutes to get bread from a baker in Washington DC. Other more commercially produced bread sits on the bench and three weeks after purchase is exactly the same as when 'fresh.' Butter rather the same - it never goes rancid.
January 30, 2019 05:47PM
Thank you everyone for your feedback, everyone seems to agree Panasonic is the best brand so she has bought a good condition second hand Panasonic SD 253 which is an older model. She made her first loaf in it which came out really well, lovely crumb, good colour - better than a bought one! Very successful at this stage. It has the single paddle tall loaf shape but she is quite happy with that as well.
January 31, 2019 12:05AM
Glad it's working well for her smiling smiley
February 05, 2019 01:42PM
Sorry im late, but i got this bread maker last week its really good. was very happy with it, baked 4 loaves made already and they look, smell and taste amazing!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.