Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Mistook Sugar for Salt

Posted by Plates 
Mistook Sugar for Salt
February 09, 2019 08:06AM
In marinating two lamb shanks, realised that I added 1.5 tsp of sugar to the marinade instead of salt.

I am hoping this wont matter too much as long as I add some salt when I put it on too cook.

Any thoughts?
Re: Mistook Sugar for Salt
February 09, 2019 08:45AM
It will be fine. The only difference might be that if you are browning the shanks they will brown more quickly, so watch them and don't let them burn.
February 09, 2019 08:52AM
thanks TPANDAV
February 09, 2019 01:40PM
If the sauce for the shanks is tomato based it'll probably improve the flavour, as long as you add the salt as well.
February 10, 2019 01:57AM
Now after eating, theres definitely a difference when you marinade or rub meat with salt. The liquid tastes well seasoned, but the thickest part of the shank feels very under seasoned. Not a major disaster though, but have learned that caster sugar looks like salt to me.
February 10, 2019 07:01AM
I once made a Madeira cake with salt instead of caster sugar. You can imagine how edible that was.
February 10, 2019 08:57AM
Thats funny.....really thought I had nailed the difference between salt and sugar.
February 10, 2019 10:11AM
My sister once made a cake for the oldies in her nursing home, except she mistook the t for a T, and added 2 tablespoons of bicarb. Yeah, not so tasty.
February 11, 2019 02:14AM
It might have cured any wind problems, Griz.
February 11, 2019 02:21AM
They could have swallowed some vinegar and been fizzing from all orifices!!
February 15, 2019 02:13AM
Irene that really made me chuckle.
February 18, 2019 09:53AM
I had to chuckle too. I tried to thicken a big pot of mushrooms once with icing sugar instead of cornflour. Wondered why they weren't thickening until I had a taste. Not the best.
I have been cruising around the South Island for the past 6 weeks, (we live in Orewa) in our campervan, no internet hence been off here for a bit. What a beautiful country we have especially the drive into Milford Sounds & the Catlins. Loved every minute of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2019 09:55AM by Lyn V.
March 07, 2019 07:12AM
It sure as heck isn't going to happen if you are moving in slow motion
March 11, 2019 06:28AM
Im glad it was only 1.5 teaspoon - I find some things you buys are way to sweet especially sauces. Im more a savoury person so really do notice the sweet taste in savoury things. Saying that though I do second adding sugar or honey to tomato based sauces, it really does enhance the taste of the tomatoes - like they used to taste like!

On that note - I did try to make custard with cornstarch - it tasted disgusting! LOL I think I need to go to spec savers.
Vanessa
March 21, 2019 01:57AM
My mother once made a beautiful looking pavlova. She never lived it down as unfortunately she used salt instead of sugar! That was quite a few years ago - I would never have enough salt in the house these days to make a pavlova.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.