Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Inspiration for cooked ham

Posted by Lyn V 
Inspiration for cooked ham
February 20, 2019 12:54AM
I have been given a massive ham on the bone there are only two of us what are some ideas for using it without being boring. The bone will do for soup eventualy but i cant face salad & quiche type dishes every night.
Re: Inspiration for cooked ham
February 20, 2019 01:30AM
Cubes of ham are good in fried rice, or make a Spanish-style one pot dish with cubed ham, boiled potatoes, sliced onions, olives, red capsicum and paprika, all slowly fried together until lightly browned and sticky.
February 20, 2019 01:44AM
You can take slices off the ham bone and freeze as well Lyn. And of course the bones freeze well for winter soups
February 20, 2019 05:14PM
Ham in various types of pasta and sauce is a useful addition to your repertoire. A bit of imagination can go a long way. Cubed ham in macaroni cheese; very thin slices of ham in lasagne; cauliflower or broccoli cheese with minced ham in the sauce. One of my favourite lunches is a ham and cheese sandwich with your favourite 'savoury' dressing (pickles, chow chow, marmite or whatever) dipped in beaten egg and either fried or toasted in a sandwich press.
February 20, 2019 11:10PM
Lyn I would find that overwhelming and be distributing sliced ham packages amongst friends and family. smiling smiley
I haven't had much success with freezing ham, it has defrosted to be quite flabby and more suited to cooking with than eating in a sandwich.
Good luck!
February 21, 2019 04:16PM
Thanks everyone, i too aren't keen on frozen ham but have done some. I have given packages out to neighbours & last night I did similar to what TAPANDAV. I used cooked sushi rice & added cubed ham along with anything i could find in my fridge even a half pear cubed peas, broad & edamame beans with a sauce made of sesame oil, soy sce, rice bran oil s & p it was very filling & delicios.
February 22, 2019 07:30PM
Another nice dish is a ham and chicken pie, you could make a couple and freeze one for later, Americans seem to have tons of recipes using cubed ham especially in casserole type dishes like scalloped potatoes with ham and mac n cheese with ham. Also Frittata type egg dishes and impossible pies are great with ham and I love a good Quiche Lorraine. Corn and ham go really well together and another nice American inspired dish is slow cooked corn, you just cut the kernels off your corn (you can griddle first to get a smoky flavour) and put in a slow cooker or casserole and add some green chilli's, I couldn't find fresh jalapenos so I used our long green locally available type, add salt, pepper and pour over some cream and cook on a low heat for about 4 hours in the oven or longer in your slow cooker. It was very nice and would go perfectly with some ham, thickly sliced and pan fried briefly to heat through.
March 01, 2019 07:04PM
I've used left over ham to make ham and potato cakes. Very enjoyable. [www.taste.com.au]
March 12, 2019 12:46AM
Freeze and use for pizza, carbonara, pea and ham soup, cheesy rice and ham balls, omelettes, ham and eggs on the BBQ, quiche, cheese and ham mash, frittatas or even add a slice and a slice of cheese to crumbed chicken breasts.

Keep the bone too - makes a great soup

Dont forget ham is great with cabbage and brussel sprouts sauteed with onions and garlic.

Vanessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 12:48AM by Vanessa45.
March 15, 2019 05:03PM
thats what i like too smiling smiley
March 15, 2019 05:04PM
Thank you for the idea friend
March 15, 2019 05:07PM
reading comments about foods to apply for daily life. and i like this one too. thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.