Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Exploding glass oven door, help please

Posted by Kayc 
Exploding glass oven door, help please
March 01, 2019 11:33PM
My Parmco oven door exploded this morning when I went to take muffins out of oven, nothing was touching the door and it went just as I opened the door. Has anyone had the same experience and can you get replacement glass? The oven is still under warrantly but not sure if glass door is covered. Would it still be safe to use just the gas hob? Thanks for your help.
Re: Exploding glass oven door, help please
March 02, 2019 01:08AM
Oh what a pain in the neck.

Personally I would have no concern about using the hob. The glass likely had a flaw in it which failed after a number of heating/cooling cycles.
March 02, 2019 04:42AM
Doors are not suuposed to explode. Get parmco to replace. I would still think the hot is OK to use.
March 02, 2019 07:09AM
I agree with Plates. There is nothing normal about exploding glass and they should replace it without question.
March 02, 2019 07:43AM
Thanks for you advise, the warrant on the back of the manual says glass is excluded but I agree it shouldn't have exploded as I didn't have anything touching the glass and it happened as I started to open the door so the door was only slightly open instead of fullly open.
March 02, 2019 09:31AM
The CGA would be on your side for this issue.
March 02, 2019 09:59AM
Quoting from Consumer NZ: "Exploding toughened glass is relatively uncommon. When we get complaints they usually involve new ovens – especially one brand or even one model, which indicates that a batch of safety glass has problems. The Consumer Guarantees Act entitles you to replacement glass." The Consumer Guarantees Act applies irrespective of what the warranty says.
March 03, 2019 07:32AM
I have had this happen before a few years ago and yes it was covered by the company as was still under warranty.
Mine went off with a bang and sent glass flying everywhere.
March 03, 2019 08:22AM
Mine also went off with a bang and I was amazed at how much glass there was and how far it travelled. The warrantly on this oven excludes glass but I will still try to get it replaced as I know that I have been very careful in my treatment of the oven door as I was aware of the possibility of glass exploding through threads on Foodlovers site.
March 03, 2019 11:50PM
I had a problem with my oven which was actually just out of the three year warranty but I was a member of Consumer Magazine and on their website if you are a current member you can call and talk to one of their experts, who was excellent and told me exactly what my rights were, who to email, what to say and how to reply when they came back to me. What really got me some action was when I "copied to" Consumer on my emails to the company - they rapidly changed their tune. It makes a big difference if you have someone to advise you otherwise company's often try to fob you off. I can't recommend Consumer enough! If you are not a member you can just go onto the website and join (there are few options) online an then call straight away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2019 11:51PM by Danube.
March 04, 2019 01:09AM
Thanks Danube, I'm a member of Consumer and I rang them before I rang the company. They were very helpful and offered suggestions of what to say. They told me Parmco were difficult to deal with so I'm hoping this won't be the case. I've sent them all the information they have asked for this morning and will ring them again this afternoon if I don't hear back. I'll post here once I have an outcome. If I do have problems I will take up your suggestion of cc consumer into all email correspondence. I appreciate all the advice from Foodlovers members.
March 18, 2019 06:37AM
Thank you for all the advise I received regarding my oven door. Parmco sent me a replacement glass which we put in place but I haven't tried using the oven yet.
March 18, 2019 10:55PM
Good to hear you have a replacement glass at least. Its hard to believe the hoops some companies want to put you through. Hopefully you won't have any other problem, it really puts you off some brands though.....you wouldn't recommend them I'm sure, not a good look to have a reputation of "being difficult to deal with" by Consumer!
March 19, 2019 01:54AM
Excellent result. I hope this one lasts longer.

I agree with you Danube. I will no longer use my local Noel Leeming branch as I've had several difficult dealings with them in the last several years. I finally ended up talking to Consumer for advice, and she mentioned that particular branch was well known to them for trying to skate the CGA and other consumer laws. She was very happy to write (another) letter to Noel Leeming head office informing them of yet another infraction, and suggested some further training for the manager in particular, as he is the main culprit.. but then of course many of the junior staff members follow his lead.

While I don't read a heck of a lot into Consumer's reviews on things, I have found the advice to be invaluable over the years, which is why I maintain my subscription.
August 04, 2020 11:32PM
I think this is the thread you're looking for Kaz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.