Dried out pork chops saved
June 11, 2019 03:22AM
I would like to share a save I recently discovered for dried out pork chops.

Sunday night roast was some very large pork shoulder chops. They went from beautifully cooked to totally dried out within minutes (as they do). I had actually removed them from the oven while I finished off a few other things but they dried out and went hard in that time.

As the chops were so large I had reduced the vegetables to serve with it so the chops really had to be saved.

I had some leftover liquid chicken stock in the fridge so poured some over the chops and put back in the oven.

Saved! Moist again and gave a good gravy base which you don't often get from cooking pork chops. The crackling even stayed fairly crisp. Wish I'd thought of this years ago; so many dinners I've ruined.
Re: Dried out pork chops saved
June 11, 2019 05:26AM
Good that you were able to save the day, Judy. However, I have always understood that shoulder chops were for stewing/casseroling/braising - I have never attempted to roast them. Have I been missing out on something all these years?

Regards,

Barbara Anne
June 11, 2019 07:43AM
That's interesting Judym I was going to ask you all what to do with Pork shoulder chops.I bought some on special a few weeks ago and froze them.I don't think I have ever bought the shoulder cut before but these were cheap.Are they nice just roasted and how long should they take to cook or are they better casseroled.If any one has a recipe I would love to see it.Also Judym how do you get the rind to crackling stage/ Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 07:44AM by marylew.
June 11, 2019 09:40AM
I've only ever roasted pork shoulder chops, but as they can be thinly cut you really do need to watch them closely otherwise they will go dry as I've often experienced.

Treat rind same as for a pork roast. Cut thru across the rind every 1-2 cm. Dry, oil and salt as usual.

Don't take long to cook; pretty much same time as kumara.

Cook in a little oil but watch closely. Super lovely when moist. I serve with pineapple or apple sauce and gravy just like a leg/shoulder roast cut.
June 11, 2019 10:53PM
Thanks judym I will try this method.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.