Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Shoulder Pork Chops.

Posted by marylew 
Shoulder Pork Chops.
June 13, 2019 09:38AM
Does anyone have a pork shoulder chop recipe other than Judyms {which i like the idea of } Something that is casseroled,stewed, long slow cooked? I would be very grateful thanks.
Re: Shoulder Pork Chops.
June 13, 2019 10:23AM
I like to braise pork shoulder chops with apples and onions. Use a big cast iron casserole, salt the chops and brown them in butter or olive oil. Turn the heat down, add chopped onion (one large onion per four chops) and turn chops over a few times until the onion is softened. Add garlic and/or finely chopped rosemary and combine. Pour in enough fresh chicken stock to almost cover, put in a moderate oven and cook until the chops are almost tender, maybe 90 minutes. Meanwhile, peel, core and quarter some apples, Granny Smiths are good, fry briefly in hot butter or olive oil until golden. Set aside. When the chops are nearly tender and the liquid much reduced add the apples and cook for a further 10- 15 minutes until the apples are tender.

You can use other herbs as available : tarragon, thyme, bay leaves, marjoram, sage are all good with pork.

You can add some double cream to the sauce, or whisk in a lump of good butter just before serving.
June 13, 2019 11:57AM
Marylew, I do a similar recipe to TPANDAV but also add a squirt of soy sauce to the liquid. I find it adds to and/or brings out the flavour.
Regards,
Dawn.
J1
June 13, 2019 09:42PM
This recipe uses pork shoulder but it can be hard to get (and in the right quantity) so I've substituted the meat from approx 1kg of pork shoulder chops (usually three or less chops). I've removed the bones and cut the chops up but it would probably be fine to either leave them whole (if they'll fit in your pot) or just cut them in half. This recipe could also probably be done in a casserole dish in the oven - just keep an eye on the moisture levels.

Italian Pork Stew
800g pork shoulder, cut into chunks
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1 leek, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tb paprika powder
1 t ground cumin
2 tb each: flour, tomato paste
400ml water or enough to just cover

Brown pork on all sides in a pan. Set aside. Add a little evoo to the dish if necessary, add onion, carrot, celery, leek, garlic and cook for a few minutes to soften. Add paprika, cumin and flour and cook for a couple of minutes then add tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add the pork back in, and the water. Reduce heat to very low and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
June 13, 2019 11:01PM
What region of Italy is this recipe from J1 ? I'm intrigued, as I have never run across cumin or paprika in Italian cooking.
J1
June 14, 2019 07:05AM
It's a recipe from New Zealand home cooks, who I imagine have altered it to their own taste preferences over the years, absentmindedly omitting to rename it New Zealand Pork Stew....
June 14, 2019 07:32AM
Ha ha, yes probably. From the days when any dish with tomato in it was in danger of being called Italian.
June 16, 2019 07:37AM
Thank you Tpandav, J1,and Dawn for the addition of soy sauce in Tpandav's recipe.I do tend to use a lot of soy sauce if I am cooking something like mince or tasty chops.This is cooking that comes naturally to me,but give me a written new recipe and I need to follow it with my finger.I do like these recipes and I will definitely try them both.
June 28, 2019 09:43AM
Grandma's Pork Chops
3 pork chops
3 T flour
2 tsp maggi onion soup mix
2 T butter
1 medium onion, diced
Place flour and stock in plastic bag, add chops and shake to coat. Brown chops in butter, remove, add onion and cook until glassy. Add remaining flour and stock to pan, stir. Add enough water to just cover chops, stir, and add chops. Simmer for ¾ - 1 hour until tender. Serve with mashed potato and green veges.
June 29, 2019 03:49AM
Wow that's looks tasty and very easy goddess558.Thanks very much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.