Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Soy sauce

Posted by Karen 
Soy sauce
July 14, 2019 06:21AM
Just wondering what soy sauces people used, and thought were the best? We probably use ours mostly for cooking, and occasionally for a dipping sauce. Now we have access to lots of Asian, shops the choice is overwhelming..
Re: Soy sauce
July 14, 2019 07:42AM
I use Megachef for all general purposes, light and dark. It is gluten-free, naturally brewed and I like its flavour. It needs to be kept in the fridge.
July 14, 2019 08:07AM
Where do you buy this brand from Tpandav please?
July 14, 2019 08:26AM
I've seen it at many Asian food markets, also at Vetro in Tauranga, and the Korean foodmarket in Tauranga. Eurodell in Auckland, the bulk food shop in Dominion Road, Mt Eden. It's more expensive than the industrial soy sauces but not impossibly so, around $5 a bottle. I'll give you a link to their website so you can see what it looks like.

[www.megachefsauce.com]
J1
July 14, 2019 08:27AM
I use Megachef soy sauce also. It doesn't have to be refrigerated (I keep mine in the pantry) - the bottle states "Can be kept at room temperature but best refrigerated." It contains potassium sorbate as a preservative. If I lived in Cairns, I'd refrigerate it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Ingredients are Water 38.9%, Soybean 20.5%, Rice 18.5%, Salt 15%, Fructose 7%, Potassium Sorbate (202). It's a product of Thailand. I buy it Moore Wilson's, my local equivalent of Gilmour's.
July 14, 2019 08:43AM
I use either Megachef or Pearl River Bridge "Superior Dark". Mostly the latter as I can get it at New World, Megachef I need to go to my local asian fruit shop.
J1
July 14, 2019 10:32AM
Unfortunately I always associate the name Pearl River Bridge with these reports.... sad smiley

June 2001 [www.nzherald.co.nz]
August 2016 . [nextshark.com]

I do have their Chinese rice wine though (cooking wine)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2019 01:00PM by J1.
July 14, 2019 11:36AM
At present I have a bottle of San-J tamari made in Japan. It looks like a reasonably unadulterated product that is wheat free. I don’t use so y sauce often.
J1
July 14, 2019 01:08PM
Oh, yes, I have the San-J Organic Tamari gluten free soy sauce also. Ingredients are "water, organic soybeans, salt, organic alcohol (to preserve freshness)". I use my Megachef a lot more than the San-J though. The San-J is rich, one-dimensional but deep and strong flavour, whereas the Megachef is a soy and rice flavour with a sharp bite/tang. The San-J can dominate a dish too much (imho) and,depending on what you're using it for, it might suit cutting the amount in half or watering it down by half (a good way to save on soy sauce if the recipe's calling for ¼-½ cupfuls....).

I was brought up on Highmark Soy Sauce (premium dark), a New Zealand soy and staple of the supermarkets for years. I'm used to and enjoy/enjoyed its flavour but its ingredients are: water, salt, soya beans (6.5%), wheat, sugar, colour (150c), vegetable gum (415), flavour enhancer (621), preservative (211) so it is fairly "fake" as far as soy sauces go. Flavour enhancer (621) is MSG.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2019 01:40PM by J1.
July 14, 2019 03:15PM
J1, I've read those too.. but also read several reports saying that the silver label superior dark does not contain whatever it is that is the problem. For the moment I'm choosing to be ok with that.
July 14, 2019 11:07PM
I will get Megachef next I am in a city. It’s good to have a bit of variety.
DK
July 15, 2019 06:56AM
I use Yamasa, a Japanese brand. Ingredients are soybeans, wheat and salt. I like the yeasty taste.
July 20, 2019 12:38PM
Hi,

I’m not very experimental, I use Highmark low salt soy sauce (green label).
July 22, 2019 04:30AM
I use whatever is on the shelf in the Asian supermarket. I do have GF soy to use for GF visitors.
July 24, 2019 01:54AM
I use Pearl River both light and Dark for cooking, and Yamasa exclusively for dipping.
July 24, 2019 04:54AM
@J1 I had a look at those reports. For the carcinogenics in those Soy Sauces to affect you, you need to consume 3 LITRES of that every day, to be at risk.

If you eat Meat that is black, or Steak that has char marks, or even medium browned toast, you are at a MUCH higher risk.

By all means, I am not saying don't choose another brand, but those reports need to be taken with a grain of salt (pun intended).
J1
July 24, 2019 08:50AM
networkn, yes, totally I agree, and I still eat bacon too and we had "caramelised" steak last night, but I don't like burnt toast smiling smiley
July 25, 2019 01:40PM
Caramelised is OK, charred isn't (Brown vs Black).
Toast according to WHO Guidelines you want "as lightly toasted as you can live with".
Bacon is fine-ish, but try and avoid bacon that uses Nitrates or Celery Juice.
J1
July 25, 2019 08:13PM
Well, did you know you shouldn't breathe the air in your kitchen while you're toasting your toast...and your roast...
July 25, 2019 10:53PM
Oh my gosh - I think I'll stop eating and breathing!!the finger smiley
Regards,
Dawn
July 26, 2019 04:21AM
Kikoman usually but sometimes cheap and cheerful Highmark.
I love the good stuff on sashimi but my kids dont notice the difference on dumplings or sushi.

Vanessa
July 26, 2019 04:47AM
What's wrong with celery juice.......?!?!
July 26, 2019 05:07AM
Celery juice is high in nitrates. From Wikipedia: "Celery has a very high concentration of natural nitrate, and treating celery juice with a bacterial culture produces nitrite. The concentrated juice can then be used to produce “no nitrite added” processed meat"

I've also tried "nitrate free" bacon preserved with pineapple juice. It wasn't good at all.
July 26, 2019 10:11AM
I usually get the big Kikkoman soy but think I prefer the Yamasa brand as for taste.
July 26, 2019 10:17AM
I'm probably not alive, probably just some ethosomething cosmic waffle controlling my fingers enabling me to write this. How did I live for so long and for the most part quite healthily when I've eaten celery by the truck loads cos it's great for the widdles and supposedly kidneys. Not to mention all these other infused with nitrates greens I've stuffed down my unsuspecting throat over the years. I'm doomed obviously. Take me quickly and painlessly please. In the words of the immortal bard who in this case is me. Muck a duck. [healthyeating.sfgate.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2019 10:19AM by Kone.
J1
July 26, 2019 12:28PM
Ah Kone, how I loved your opening sentence grinning smiley. And celery is high on the list of foods with the most pesticide residues [organicnz.org.nz] Soy sauce doesn't get a mention though.
July 26, 2019 12:48PM
Kone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
How did I live
> for so long and for the most part quite healthily
> when I've eaten celery by the truck loads cos it's
> great for the widdles and supposedly kidneys. Not
> to mention all these other infused with nitrates
> greens I've stuffed down my unsuspecting throat
> over the years. .....
> [healthyeating.sfgate.com]
> getables-3535.html

The answer to your jocular rhetorical question is in the article you have linked:

"Normally, sodium nitrate in vegetables does not pose the same health risk as nitrites found in processed meat. The nitrites added to processed meats as preservatives and color enhancers can combine with proteins called amines to form compounds called nitrosamines. Nitrosamines have shown cancer-causing potential in animal studies. "
July 26, 2019 12:57PM
Ok good, I was rolling my eyes a bit that celery was now on the no-go list of foods. Frankly, that just didn't make a lot of sense.
July 28, 2019 04:10AM
Eat, drink and be merry Kone, I am!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.