Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Skimming fat?

Posted by Vanessa45 
Skimming fat?
July 28, 2019 12:16AM
I make a lot of soups/stocks/broths. Often I don't bother skimming the fat off and just eat it but Ive just bought a slow cooker and made a soup wth bacon bones. Im also trying to reduce the fat in my diet.

Is there any other way other than cooling and refrigerating my stock/soup so the fat rises to the top and harden to get rid of the excess fat?

Thanks
Vanessa
Re: Skimming fat?
July 28, 2019 12:51AM
How about allowing the soup to cool a little then throwi a couple of ice cubes in; the fat is supposed to be drawn to the cubes and slightly solidify and can be scooped off with a fine-mesh sieve (tea strainer?). Or use a paper napkin to mop up the fat, or a piece of bread used in the same way.
July 28, 2019 01:15AM
Leave the soup undisturbed for about 30 minutes and the fat will rise to the top. Carefully skim it off with a big spoon(keep it for frying potatoes or other delicious purposes), blot the last droplets with kitchen paper.

Do remember that fat carries flavour, and if your soup is fat-free you may need more salt and herbs.
July 28, 2019 01:49AM
Great thanks for those ideas, Im currently letting it cool outside as it quite warm inside.
I do like the idea of keeping the fat, ive actually never done that. Can you use ANY animal fat?
Ive had goose fat fried chips before but Im not planning on cooking a goose anytime soon Ha Ha
The ice cube is a great idea too - I just dont have any at the moment.

Vanessa
July 28, 2019 02:09AM
You can keep any skimmed animal fat for other purposes, but make sure you keep each type in separate containers otherwise you'll have a murky tasting "dripping" that will blur the flavours of anything you add it to. Don't get too carried away though or you'll end up with dozens of little jars cluttering up the fridge.

I always keep the surplus fat from red-braised pork belly or Thai sweet pork, and use it for fried rice or stir fried greens. I keep excess chicken fat from chicken and vege soups and use it to fry potatoes and kumara.
July 28, 2019 02:19AM
I know what you mean about having too many little container - somtimes my freezer is filled with various ziplock bags containing things I cant throw away ;-)

A great reminder, thanks
Vanessa
July 28, 2019 03:33AM
You can use a gravy separator too.

[www.farmers.co.nz]
July 28, 2019 04:55AM
Sorry to squeeze in on your thread Vanessa but can I ask Tpandav the recipes for Red braised pork and thai sweet pork as I have cuts of pork in my freezer that I am sure will suit this type of cooking.If they are too much to print here Tpandav I will google them, but I know you have tried and true recipes.Thanks.
July 28, 2019 05:12AM
Thai/Korean Sweet Pork

Serves 4 - 5

750g pork scotch fillet or belly or shoulder chops, cut into large chunks
2 tab dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
3 tab peanut or coconut oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 tab palm sugar (1 disc)
2 tsp shrimp paste
4 tab fish sauce
2 tab dark soy sauce
1 tab Korean chilli flakes OR 1 tab Gochujang (Korean chilli paste)

Mix pork, 2 tab soy sauce & salt. Marinate at least 30 min.

In wok cook oil & onion, when soft add sugar, shrimp paste, fish sauce, soy sauce and chilli. Cook until caramelised. Add pork, fry 1 hour min (scotch fillet) or 2 1/2 hours (belly, chops) until very tender and a small amount of syrupy sauce remains. (Keep an eye on it and add a little water if it threatens to burn). Skim off excess fat.

Serve with rice, kimchi and a vege dish.
July 28, 2019 05:24AM
I don't actually have a recipe for the red-braised pork as I use my frozen masterstock, which has been on the go for many years and gets topped up with flavourings every so often. Basically, you make an initial braising stock with (very approximate quantities):

1 litre fresh chicken or pork stock
500 ml good quality dark soy sauce
100g Chinese rock sugar
10 cloves garlic, crushed
6 cm ginger, peeling and sliced
6 star anise
10 cardamom pods
2 black cardomom pods
100 ml Shaoxing wine
1 stick cinnamon
3 spring onions cut in 4 cm lengths

Simmer together for half an hour then use unstrained to simmer a piece of pork belly or a whole duck or chicken. When the meat is cooked lift out of the pan and strain the braising liquid through a sieve into a suitable container for freezing. Keep aside 1/2c of liquid to pour over meat before serving, freeze the rest.

Use the braising liquid over and over again; it will improve in complexity and viscosity every time you use it. Every so often (maybe after six braises) top up with a few spices. If you find the volume is inadequate for the cut of meat you are using, add more soy sauce and Shaoxing wine. I tend not to add any further sugar.
July 28, 2019 06:49AM
Jenna that gravy separator looks and sounds fantastic despite the $40 price tag!
Does it work?

From the website...
Simply pour gravy into the heat-resistant Separator and watch the fat rise to the top. The strainer catches unwanted bits, and the stopper keeps fat out of the spout. A shield prevents the gravy from spilling over the top of the Separator when you pour.

Also thanks for the Pork recipes TPANDAV - they both sound delicious!

Vanessa
July 28, 2019 09:21AM
Yep, they work great, Vanessa. I waited and waited for the damn thing to go on sale, then after about 9 months I got tired of waiting and bought it at $40. I use it quite a lot, especially for pulled pork and braised beef. It can all go in the dishwasher too.
J1
November 21, 2019 09:09AM
Jenna, re the gravy separator, how long do you have to generally wait for the fat to separate to the top before you can pour?
November 21, 2019 11:16AM
Less than 5 minutes. It sits and separates while I'm making a roux in the roasting dish.
J1
November 21, 2019 08:22PM
Thankyou! I think this might make a handy Christmas present.....
November 22, 2019 05:40AM
I always throw in a handful of ice cubes and then as the fat settles around them I lift them out.
November 22, 2019 10:53PM
That is CLEVER, Helen!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.