Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Recipes for beans (pinto, haricot, black turtle, etc)

Posted by J1 
J1
Recipes for beans (pinto, haricot, black turtle, etc)
August 15, 2019 04:45PM
I've been exploring beans a bit more than usual and still have several bags of cooked beans in my freezer (I don't buy canned) but after I make Smoky North African Beans this week I'll have run out of new recipes to try on them. I'd be grateful if anyone has any bean (they can include lentils) recipes they enjoy that I could try; they can be anything - bean loaves (as in "meatloaf" ), patties, stews, baked beans, bread, anything.... thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2019 04:45PM by J1.
Re: Recipes for beans (pinto, haricot, black turtle, etc)
August 15, 2019 05:54PM
This makes a good vegetable side dish, and can also be served as a dip.

White Bean & Rosemary Purée

1c white beans, soaked & cooked (keep liquid) i.e. 1 c dried beans (about 3 c when cooked)
3 tab olive oil
1 tab tomato paste
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 clove garlic chopped
1 tab rosemary chopped
1 tab lemon juice (or more)
salt

Sauté oil, tomato paste, garlic & rosemary a few min. Puree drained beans, add and cook a few min. Add lemon juice & salt, enough liquid to make smooth purée which holds its shape. Check balance of lemon & salt.

Serve at room temperature
August 15, 2019 05:56PM
White Bean Soup with Bay and Pancetta

serves 4

2 tab olive oil
1 tab butter
2 onions, chopped
1 tsp salt
2 bay leaves
1200g cooked cannellini or other dried beans, drained
1 litre fresh chicken stock

extra virgin olive oil
50g pancetta, fried crisp

Sauté oil, butter, onion and bay until onion is soft. Add beans and stock, simmer 10 min. Remove bay and purée, check salt. Garnish with oil and pancetta.
August 15, 2019 05:58PM
I like adding cooked dried beans, lentils or chick peas to Mexican-style braises, making a kind of Tex-Mex Chile con Carne or Picadillo. Let me know if you would like specific recipes.
August 15, 2019 05:59PM
Just last night I had red lentil dhal with rice and will be having it again tonight as there were leftovers. There are numerous recipes out there and I'm sure you don't need one but if you want mine let me know.
J1
August 16, 2019 01:28PM
Thanks for your replies. The bean puree is something I'd probably make, thanks TPANDAV.
August 16, 2019 05:10PM
About 10 years ago I read a delightful book about a young couple taking on a highland hotel. It is called The Highland Feast by Millie McQuarrie and it contained this recipe for pearl barley risotto, which I have made on several occasions:

Pearl Barley Risotto

2 tablespoons olive oil
200g pearl barley, rinsed in cold water
1 med leek, finely chopped
1 med onion, finely chopped
20g raisins
20g currants
50g pine nuts
Grated rind of half an orange
1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
480ml boiling water
1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in the boiling water
250ml red wine
1 cup mushrooms, cut into chunks

Heat oil in a wide pan.
Add barley and keep turning in hot oil until it starts to colour pale brown.
Add the chopped leek and onion and when softened add the raisins, currants, pine nuts, orange rind, rosemary and seasoning.
Stir all together, pour in the vegetable stock and wine.
Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered. Add the mushrooms when nearly all the liquid has been absorbed and continue simmering until all the liquid has been absorbed. The risotto should be served al denté.
J1
August 17, 2019 03:30AM
I made this recipe for Smoky North African Beans and it was absolutely delicious: [www.safe.org.nz] . It's "adapted from a recipe by Kelly Gibney" which featured in Dish magazine 18 July 2016 [dish.co.nz] . I was curious what changes safe.org.nz made to Kelly's original recipe but her full recipe isn't available for free online. Does anyone make Kelly's original recipe and, if so, would you be able to tell me what the differences are? Thanks for any help! It was so delicious!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.