Ravioli Trays
June 30, 2004 12:28AM
I have just purchased a ravioli tray. It is designed so that you lay your pasta on the bottom, fill it ,then place another pasta sheet over the top. You then get a rolling pin and roll over the top to seal, however it does not cut the ravioli into parcels very well. Is there a special knack, or tool that I should be using??? The rolling pin just does not cut the mustard..... or the ravioli
Re: Ravioli Trays
June 30, 2004 01:33AM
Hi Trish I have the same problem, I now just turn it all out onto the bench, and cut!
June 30, 2004 01:36AM
Have had the same messy experience, in fact not keen to repeat!!! Perhaps more practice is required. What about running a knife down the lines, while in the trays?winking smiley
June 30, 2004 01:44AM
I've got one too and tried it once but found it to be totally useless - it's now lurking in the back of the cupboard somewhere. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had success with it!
June 30, 2004 02:01AM
Thnx to those of you who replied. Its a shame really - I paid $40 for the tray from a very reputable kitchen store in WLG. I rarely buy kitchen gadgets, and like to think that my purchases are well thought through - I might pop back to the store and get their opinion. The ravioli did tase good despite the messy experience. If you have any favourtite ravioli recipes to share let me know....
June 30, 2004 02:04AM
Yes Ive had the same prob. Fortunatly a bought 3 unused trays from a school fair for about $5. So I dont feel too ripped off. I have a ravioli cutter, which stamps the ravioli out and it works much better.
June 30, 2004 02:09AM
ok - spill ! where did you get it from and how does it work....?
June 30, 2004 04:27AM
Thankfully like Virgil I bought my ravioli tray 2nd hand, ( some poor person had probably already had the same experience that we've all had), and don't feel too upset as not too much money wasted. Guess this is the sort of thing we all have to try , at least once!!winking smiley
Della
June 30, 2004 04:52AM
Trish,
If you've still got the receipt you should take it back to the shop, explain the problem and ask for a credit note or your money back. Unless it explictly says on the instructions that you have to cut the parcels with a knife, surely one of the main purposes of the tray is to cut the separate ravioli?

If it doesn't do that adequately then it isn't fulfilling the Consumer Guarantees Act - it is not fit for its purpose and it it is not of acceptable quality. If the shop is reluctant then ask them to show you the correct way to use it so that it cuts the ravioli (although it doesn't sound like it will, from others' comments!)

You can then use the $40 towards another ravioli gadget that actually works!

I would have thought that a reputable kitchen shop selling something like that for $40 would have tested it first to see how useful it is and to be able to explain the benefits to their customers.
June 30, 2004 04:59AM
I bought the cutter at Epicurean I think, It just looks and works like a cookie cutter. Very simple but effective.
June 30, 2004 06:08AM
Absolutely correct! Im on my way down there now... I just wanted some feedback to make sure it wasnt the way in which I was using it....... I might try to make Ravioli the way Jamie does it.... Thanx for your response
June 30, 2004 06:24AM
Ok Trish ... you're turn to spill! How does Jamie do it?
July 01, 2004 02:43AM
What Jamie does is cust two strips of pasta 2 inches wide by 6 inches long, puts several dollops of mixture along the pasta, then covers it with the other length of pasta. He then cuts it with a decorative cutter to give it the zig zag effect! classy and simple
July 01, 2004 03:02AM
That's exactly how I normally do but didn't realise that was also how Jamie does it - perhaps he's had spies in my kitchen!!!winking smileywinking smileywinking smiley
Marilyn
July 01, 2004 03:14AM
My Italian mother-in-law was the best ravioli maker ever, and she used a cutter that was a little fluted wheel on a handle. Sort of like a little pizza cutter I suppose. Unfortunately, I never took the time to really have a lesson. We never realise at the time how much we are going to regret something we did or didn't do, do we?
July 01, 2004 04:19AM
I have found one of these cutters you mention.... I will use it in conjunciton with my ravioli tray - $6 from the Home store.... does anyone have any inspiring recipies???
July 01, 2004 04:48AM
I copied both of these down from a programme on Discovery channel (Biba's Italian Kitchen) and haven't gotten around to trying them...

Fish Ravioli
--------------
3 tbsp butter
750 grams white fish
2 slices white bread
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp parsley -- chopped
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 egg

Melt butter and saute fish. Soak bread in cream. Place fish, bread and all other ingredients into a food processor and pulse gently. The mixture should be granular, not a paste. Refrigerate until firm and then use to prepare ravioli.

Eggplant Ravioli
--------------------
1 large eggplant
2 cloves garlic -- crushed
7 basil leaves
1/2 cup parsley
250 grams ricotta cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Slice eggplant and sprinkle with salt. Leave to drain, then saute 6 - 7 minutes. Add garlic. Combine with other ingredients in a food processor.

You can be my guinea pig if you like Trish!:}

Lucy
July 01, 2004 06:30AM
Laurel Watson did some Salmon & Cream Cheese Ravioli the other day on the Good Morning Show. Looked pretty yummo. The recipe is on the tvnz.co.nz website. Just go to the Good Morning link and then into 'Related Articles'. It is headed Ravioli Recipes.:p

July 01, 2004 09:02AM
While browsing I found this site - [www.ravioliroller.com]
Perhaps it is not avaialble in NZ.
Jean
November 15, 2004 05:22AM
Can you please tell me where to buy one or altenatively if you would like to sell the one that you have?

My work number is 3569839

Thanks
November 15, 2004 08:31AM
I've got a ravioli gadget that fits on my pasta machine - you roll 2 sheets of pasta through it at the same time as the filling!! You can imagine why I don't bother with it at all now and just do it Jamies way and the uneven "peasant look is much more appealing especially in a big bowl. And round ones are real easy with scone cutters.
Wendy
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.