Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

sushi

Posted by Katrina 
sushi
January 14, 2005 02:46AM
can anyone please tell me how to make sushi?
Regards Katrina

Michelle
Re: sushi
January 14, 2005 03:39AM
Theres quite a few recipes floating about. Maybe do a google search for recipes. I'm not game enough to try making it but it looks easy enough. I prefer to buy mine already made grinning smiley
Good Luck!
January 14, 2005 03:53AM
Hi Katrina .. you will need
a bamboo rolling mat
Nori - Sheet seaweed
Short grain Rice - boil so it is cooked (reduction method is best) and should be sticky - you can also buy sushi seasoning mix and add it if you want but it isn't necessary. All available from any good Asian Food Shop.

Put Nori (Seaweed sheet) onto bamboo rolling mat...
spread cooled rice onto it leaving about 10mm around the edges and fill with whatever you want
( If the rice is too hot the Nori sheet will get too soft and be difficult to work with - also dampen your hands with water which makes to rice easier to work with)
Filling: Fish, Teriyaki Chicken, Capsicum, Cucumber, Avocado,lettuce, anything you fancy really...mayonnaise etc., . You could also spread alittle Wasabi onto the rice if you like it hot!
Put this filling across about 1/3 of the way down the sheet and roll tightly in the bamboo sheet. Press tightly and take out of the bamboo mat and it is done....
Easy Peasy once you get the hang of rolling it up! That is the trickiest bitsmiling smiley
January 14, 2005 05:17AM
Hi Katrina
You can often buy Sushi making Kits at the supermarkets which have everything you need in the kit, except the rice, which you will find in the supermarket anyway.
It's not a good idea to refrigerate Sushi for too long as the nori sheets become soft and chewy - That's why it's usually made and eaten if not straight away soon after making it....
I adore Sushi, but have found that if I eat it for lunch I get a real energy drain immediately afterwards....quite strange really but I have heard of another person who has experienced the energy drain too....?:-(
January 14, 2005 11:25AM
Thanks everyone for your help, I will give it a go tomorrow, would be much easier to buy it but nobody sells it where we live:-( so have decided to try to make my own!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.