Michelle
Steamed Pudding recipe for Hangi??
February 10, 2005 04:39AM
Hi there,

Help me please!! Does anyone have a recipe for a burnt sugar steam pudding that I would be able to put into a large tin to be put into a hangi??
Any variations would be great!

Thank you in advance

Michelle
Re: Steamed Pudding recipe for Hangi??
February 10, 2005 05:18AM
Michelle,
I have made the usual sponge pudding with either jam or golden syrup on base, I just used a normal pudding bowl,that serves approx 6 , you could try several small bowls rather than a very large tin, depends how many you are catering for.
The pudding I think was "Dominion Pudding" and was in an Edmonds recipe book,although this was over 33 yrs ago, but I would think any steamed pudding would be OK.
February 10, 2005 06:39AM
Hi Michelle

This pudding recipe was given by a good friend and it has never let me down. I usually double this recipe

Burnt Sugar Pudding
2 1\2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
250gr butter
1 1\2 cups sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
3 beaten eggs
Burnt sugar syrup
4 tbsp sugar - add more sugar if you prefer it darker, don't heat/burn any longer than necessay otherwise it will taste burnt and bitter.
I cup water

Place flour and sugar into a bowl, rub in butter until it resembles breadcrumbs, add mixed spice and baking soda. Make a well in the middle and add beaten eggs and lastly add brunt sugar. It should have to consistency of a runny chocolate cake mix.
Put in greased basin and steam for two hours.

I like to sometimes add a handful of raisins. Not too many, I love my fruitcakes, but I enjoy the random burst of sweetness in this pudding.

Good luck
Hoana
Michelle
February 10, 2005 08:05AM
Thank you both very much for the quick responses.
Hoana that is exactly what I'm looking for....I'm going to give that one a try! Cheers for that
February 10, 2005 09:13AM
Hoana,
you've made my day too, as I have had puddings like this when on school camps, on maraes with our kids years ago, and never had a recipe. Will copy it off and try it when the weather is a bit cooler. Too hot here today.
Regards Kaye.8)
I've been looking for a burnt sugar steamed pudding recipe for ages. My mum and Grandmum were experts at pudding an bread making and I didn't learn off them.

Could you please tell me how to burn the sugar i.e. what method and how long, as I'm sure you could overburn it and ruin the taste completely.

Thanks

Rick
February 20, 2005 10:24PM
Rick,
I imagine that you would put the sugar and water at the bottom of the list in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, then just boil until it changes colour and becomes a golden brown... don't go too far/dark or it becomes bitter. You'll get the hang of it.
Someone else may have more precise times etc, but I do this for making creme caramel and icecream and I think it would be similar.
Regards Kaye.
Have finally got around to trying this recipe out and have to say it is exactly what I remembered from my stays on maraes... excellent.
As I started to prepare this I realised this was a large pudding, and needed a bigger bowl than I would normally use, so dug deep into my kitchen cupboards and pulled out a pudding bowl that had belonged to one of my paternal, great grandmothers.... it was a special experience using this bowl and I can't wait to try the recipe out on other members of the family, now I know it works.
For anyone else who wants to try it, I made the caramel, by boiling the water and sugar together until a nice light brown, then added some boilng water to the caramel, and reheated to dissolve the caramel, this I then cooled and finally added to the dry ingredients etc. I also added a little milk powder to the dry ingredients. The pudding is a lovely texture, a nice light brown and a lovely delicate hint of caramel flavour. Nice with custard, cream and maybe some peaches....
And no I haven't overindulged..... I sliced up the remaining pudding, wrapped it and my husband and son each have a slice in their lunch boxes today, the rest is in the freezer.... so it is a versatile recipe.
Thanks Hoana, for sharing with us, if you are still reading Foodlovers.
Regards Kaye.winking smiley
Joy
September 08, 2005 10:59PM
I've been looking everywhere for this recipe and an eagle eyed fellow trader from Trade Me led me to this site. I too grew up with this recipe but unfortunately with the blinkered eye of youth never thought to learn how to do it myself. Thanks so much Hoana. I anticipate a very busy weekend (or two, or three) lol. Can't wait. Cheers.
:pfor along time now i've been looking for this recipe and yeap today is my lucky day for I see befor me the pudding that my grandma use to make us every xmas hangi get togethers gee it brings back good childhood memories thanx to this wonderful person for restoring an art so long forgotten by our younger generation my heartfelt thanx for always

cheers and blees you

jogrinning smiley
August 17, 2008 10:42AM
hi hoana,my husband tommy is from whangerai and i would like to make this for him. is it plain or self raising flour for this recipe and also is it white sugar for this recipe. am trying to find recipes for him as he misses new zealand meals, any suggestions would be appreciated
August 18, 2008 01:19AM
Plain white flour and white sugar. Good Luck. smiling smiley
When burning the sugar it is best if you use an old pot,put the sugar in and then heat. it will start to burn.then add about a 1/2 cup of boiling water to burnt sugar I also add 1tsp of baking soda I have been making this pudding for many years.this pudding may also be put in to an oven bag and steamed in water.for your hangis i use large fruit salad tins dont forget to grease the tin then put foil over the top and tie with string before it goes into the hangi.enjoy
Kia ora,
I just thought I'd warn you guys to watch out when adding the water to the Burnt sugar as it spits.. I use boiling water. I have found that it doesn't matter how much you burn the sugar cause the Baking Soda neutralises the burn't taste...some days it looks like my kitchen is on fire cause of the smoke.
I pop mine in a medium roasting bag that I have sprinkled flour in first and chuck that in the boiling water....sometimes I leave it for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
July 30, 2009 10:55AM
This was on the Good Morning show this morning!!
I do not know if I should copy their recipe, so i will just put the link in here,

Bill Hamilton's comfort food recipes - 30 July
[tvnz.co.nz]

I remember this from when I was a child, delicious, seeing it this morning brought back happy memories, so funny to see this tonight as well!

If you can watch the program on there, Bill added somefinely chopped leaf, I think it was Kaweka?? it sounded lovely.

I just checked, and it is showing yesterdays show online, so perhaps todays will be on tomorrow and I can check what it was he added.
September 15, 2009 10:16AM
i like steamm pudding
Dose any one know how to make the real steam pudding that come out from the hangi i need the recipe to day 9/10/2009 because our hangi going down on satday 10/10/2009 get back to me ASAP... thank you
October 16, 2009 02:00PM
Yes, the delicious subtle caramel taste of hangi steam pudding is a sure winner served with whipped or poured cream - and vanilla custard if you want to indulge in decadence!!
Its good prepared the night before and put in tins and covered with foil and left to stand overnight before going into your hangi aye.
Cheers.
December 06, 2009 04:28AM
kia Ora,

Just read the note on burning sugar.
I've always sone this way.
Sugar in a pot over heat (nothing added at this stage, just sugar)
the sugar will dissolve and liquify.
Once it has liquified and starting to boil you will notice the colour changing, the darker you burn your sugar the darker you pudding will be.
Now the fun part, have your kettle ready (boiled water) to added to your sugar mix.
I normally take the pot of sugar and the kettle outside because there is alot of steam and it can tend to spit. It needs to be done relatively quickly as you dont want you sugar cooling to quickly.

Cheers
Mandy
December 12, 2009 08:25AM
would this recipe be any good to boil as i remember our pudding being boiled it had burnt sugar and sultanas in it.
when i was younger my granny put sixpence coins in the pudding
Lovely to read through the success stories stemming from recipe for pudding. Can I just check - it's plain flour?
December 23, 2009 05:49AM
Yes,it's plain flour and take heed of the hints on burning the sugar. Happy pudding making!
December 23, 2009 10:08AM
Kia ora Hioana

Got my boy to google a burnt sugar steam pud.......he did just that......and thanks to your recipe they are going to have it for their christmas day dessert.....thanks....jolly xmas & a happy new year.
December 24, 2009 01:14AM
Kia ora Ting

Thanks and I wish you the same. I'll be making mine in the morning and most probably eat a fair portion of it before it goes into the pot; its delicious raw. Yeah, I'll be jolly too...
June 24, 2010 11:30AM
Food lovers please don't answer the above post.
Site admistrators please delete/block the above post in some form or manner as it is just spamming this forum.
Thanks
June 24, 2010 01:09PM
If you want to report it Letitbeme it's best to click on "report this message".
Regards,
Dawn.
June 24, 2010 10:55PM
Done.
November 30, 2010 11:41AM
Marae Steam Pudding

No 1,
This will make 4 A/cans
12 ½ Cups of flour
5 teaspoons B/ soda
1250 grm butter
7 ½ cups of sugar
5 teaspoons cocoa (or three spices)
15 eggs
½ milk ½ water

Burnt sugar method
Place ½ cup sugar in a pot, bring to boil on element,
Take off element when sugar is the colour brown that you require,
Rather then let it get too dark or black ‘ie burnt’
Slowly add ½ cup of water while stirring continuously,
Then allow to cool for 10 min

No 2
This will make 8 A/cans for the marae
25 cups flour
10 teaspoons baking soda
2500 grams butter
15 cups sugar
10 teaspoons cocoa (or three spices)
30 eggs
½ milk ½ water warmed or burnt sugar and water

Method in a very large container or basin for food place your 25 cups of sifted flour and 15 cups sugar, rub in 2500 grams of butter until it resembles bread crumbs, then add your 10 teaspoons of sifted baking soda, 10 teaspoons sifted cocoa or (10 teaspoons three spices,) mix these in until combined. Beat your 30 eggs add to flour mixture by making a well and pouring egg in and adding your liquid mixture ½ milk ½ water or the burnt sugar mixture make sure it isn’t to wet as it will take more then 3 hours to cook otherwise. Add chocolate chips or sultanas to mixture. Grease your tins well, place a square baking paper at the bottom of well greased tins, place cans into a large pot of water that comes to half way up all a/cans cook 3 hours or until skewer is clean (or steam for three hours)

Thanks Hoana for this delicious recipe
November 30, 2010 08:05PM
I'm never likely to make the above recipe but I'd be interested to know about A/cans. What are they, please?
November 30, 2010 09:21PM
Could they be aluminium cans Lorna?
Regards,
Dawn.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.