Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Louisa plum tree

Posted by June 
Louisa plum tree
May 25, 2005 07:28AM
We would like to buy a louisa plum tree.We have been ringing around and no success.Would love to know where we could buy one
Liza
Re: Louisa plum tree
May 25, 2005 11:12PM
Hi June - I bought one about 4 yrs ago, planted it and then moved farms!!! I've tried for the last two years to buy another one because it was beautiful!! The plums were the size of mangos and so sweet!!! I've been back to the garden centre where I bought it from and she is puzzled as to why no-one is listing it anymore. When I bought it, it was a 'royalty' tree, so maybe it was a limited one! I think it was not spelt Louisa, but Luisa. Could be wrong though. You've reminded me to do an internet search though - I'll let you know if I find anything. Please let me know if you have any joy too!!
Liza
May 26, 2005 01:49AM
We are pulling out a rampant climber soon and want to replace it with a plum tree and espalier it. Would this be a good variety - but in case I can't get one what other varieties would be good for eating? (I don't like insipid watery plums!)
May 26, 2005 03:17AM
Try DIACKS nursery in Invercargil. They ship nationwide and have agreat website.
Liza
May 26, 2005 04:55AM
Thanks Virgil - I'll give it a go smiling smiley
Liza
May 27, 2005 12:27AM
Here we go June - I've contacted a 'plant shop' in Auckland and here's the reply I was sent. I'm on a farm in the middle of the north island, by the way, which is why the courier fee is $40. He couriers very reasonably around Auckland though, check out his website. I'll contact my local garden centre and hopefully they can get some brought in - I don't really want to pay $40, although the tree would be worth it!! Hope this is of help to you...

I've had a real struggle to get hold of these as well, although have managed to get a few each year. I have a few left in stock at present - they are good strong plants, however have lots of branches low down and don't have a main leader. They would be perfect for a home orchard. The cost of the trees is $30, however it would cost us around $40 to package it and courier it to you as they are quite heavy.

regards,

David Bayly
Kaipara Coast Plant Centre
1481 Kaipara Coast Highway
P.O.Box 63
Kaukapakapa
Auckland 1250

ph 09-420 5655
fax 09 420 5654
www.plantsnz.co.nz
May 27, 2005 06:58AM
Most plum trees require a pollinator so check this before you buy one.
Liza
May 27, 2005 07:25AM
I'm pretty sure Luisa is a self pollinator - we bought it to plant next to the haybarn on the farm - yummy plums to eat while haymaking!!
May 27, 2005 11:00PM
I bought mine from Te Hana Wholesale nursery for $20 last winter.
March 21, 2012 10:28PM
you might find that they are just not in stock yet as I was told that they will not be available until around June /July
March 21, 2012 11:59PM

If you want a no maintenance, space saving, delicious apple tree, try a Ballerina Bolero.

We planted one in a tub 2 years ago and this year it has 20 beautiful apples on it. They grow upright, don't need pruning and the fruit are sweet, crispy and delicious.

Cheers,

Beverley
February 14, 2013 09:58PM
Hiya. I brought one from Kwan Nurseries in Kerikeri last year, they have quite a few and get them in every year. Hope this helps.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.