Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Does anyone know what I can use instead of cornstarch?

Posted by sharon1 
Does anyone know what I can use instead of cornstarch?
April 23, 2006 11:16AM
Hi,
I've found a recipe I would love to try, but what is cornstarch? Is cornflour the same? Would appreciate any help, it's for a very old strawberry tart recipe.
Thanks!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2006 11:17AM by sharon1.
Re: Does anyone know what I can use instead of cornstarch?
April 23, 2006 11:55AM

Hi Sharon,
I think cornstarch is the American name for cornflour. Where are you getting strawberries from at this time of the year ?
Cheryl
Yes, defineately cornflour here. I've done a lot of cooking in US at my Daughter's home. Thank goodness for our great flour here, for starters!
April 24, 2006 01:49AM
Try Arrowroot, for the substitute for cornflour.
April 24, 2006 09:43AM
Hi there Sharon,
I notice you are in Australia, and this may not apply to you, I really don't know.
Here in NZ we can buy Wheaten Cornflour or Maize Cornflour. I prefer to use the wheaten, but that's just me. I guess if we were gluten intolerant we would have to have the maize variety.
I remember years ago there was a kelp based product that I think was called AgaAga (please someone correct me if I am wrong......I often am!) This could be used as a thickening agent, similar result to cornflour.
I have probably given you a useless lot of dribble, but who knows?
Kindest Regards,

Raewyn G
April 26, 2006 03:59AM
Tapioca Starch or Rice Flour can be substitutes too, more organic!!
May 22, 2006 11:32AM
arrowroot is very good for fruit . it thickens clear and is more easily digestable in the body as well

Tessa....

"A computer and a cat are somewhat alike - they both purr, and spend a lot of the day motionless.
They also have secrets they don't share."

Re: Does anyone know what I can use instead of Wheaten Cornflour ?
January 30, 2007 12:40PM
Hi,

When I was in N.Z., I used to make shortbread with wheaten cornflour. Now that I am in S'pore, I cannot get hold of wheaten cornflour but only the usual cornflour made from maize. I would appreciate any advise on what would be a good substitute for wheaten cornflour in baking.

Many thanks.
Eileen
January 31, 2007 12:33AM
Eileen, I can't see why you couldn't substitute maize cornflour for wheaten cornflour in baking, providing there isn't an issue with gluten tolerance.

On a separate matter, maize is a variety of corn, so maize cornflour makes perfect sense to me. But if wheaten cornflour is made from wheat then it's not CORNflour is it? It's wheat flour isn't it? Or am I missing something?
February 01, 2007 05:10AM
I was very disappointed when I used cornflour instead of corn starch in my favourite strawberry pie recipe. The taste was ok but it looked terrible, will try arrowroot, thanks for the suggestion Tessa I had nearly given up on the idea of making it this season. Jess
October 22, 2008 06:06AM
Where can you buy wheaten cornflour? I have standard Edmonds cornflour at home but I don't think that is the same thing because it says it is gluten free.

Thanks
October 23, 2008 02:48AM
I quite often use potato flour which you can purchase from bin inn. This seems to thicken better than cornflour and on reheating seems to hold it together (if you know what I mean) instead of thinning out again. Might be worth a go.
October 23, 2008 03:05AM
Thanks but I was wanting the wheaten cornflour for a sponge cake not for thickening so I don't think potatoe flour would work.

Thanks,

Hannah
October 23, 2008 09:17AM
I'm pretty sure you can get it at the supermarket. I seem to remember tossing up the options last time I needed to buy some cornflour - corn? wheat? corn? wheat? I'm not sure what I decided now.
Where can I buy arrowroot in New Zealand?
July 25, 2009 11:26PM
At the supermarket, in the baking section, probably close to cornflour etc or maybe right on the top or second shelf. It comes in a smallish box, bigger than a box of herbs but smaller than a box of cocoa.
J1
July 26, 2009 12:04AM
Here's a pic of what you'll be looking for (arrowroot) [www.woolworths.co.nz]
July 26, 2009 12:33AM
Arrowroot is the same as tapioca flour.
Cornflour Cornstarch Arrowroot Tapioca
August 02, 2009 01:08PM
Real Arrowroot is the not the same as tapioca flour

Tapioca is a starch extracted from Manihot esculenta. It is also called cassava or manioc.

Genuine Arrowroot is the edible starch from Maranta arundinacea.

Unfortunately, the name arrowroot can also be a general term referring for a variety of starches used as substitutes for true arrowroot.

Tulema arrowroot comes from a species of Canna
East India arrowroot comes from the genus Curcuma angustifolia.
Brazilian arrowroot comes from the cassava plant (Manihot esculenta).
Tacca or Otaheite arrowroot comes from Tacca pinnatifida.
Portland arrowroot comes from Arum maculatum.

Some manufacturers adulterate arrowroot with other starches eg potato starch, or retail tapioca starch as arrowroot.. Considering the cost, consumers should check that it is pure arrowroot, as other starches have different properties to arrowroot.

Culina in SIngapore has very fine Italian wheat flour - it may do as a substitute for wheaten cornflour.

Maize cornflour AU is the same as cornstarch US.
August 02, 2009 11:32PM
Thanks Auzzi. As long as the arrowroot I buy continues doing the job I expect of it, I don't really care about its parentage. However, White Crest is pure arrowroot according to the box:

"white crest arrowroot
is a pure and easily digested form of starch ideal for sufferers of gluten allergy. also used by specialty cooks as a clear gel and for thickening sauces, desserts, soups, gravies and casseroles."
auzzi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Real Arrowroot is the not the same as tapioca
> flour
>
> Tapioca is a starch extracted from Manihot
> esculenta. It is also called cassava or manioc.
>
> Genuine Arrowroot is the edible starch from
> Maranta arundinacea.
>
> Unfortunately, the name arrowroot can also be a
> general term referring for a variety of starches
> used as substitutes for true arrowroot.
>
> Tulema arrowroot comes from a species of Canna
> East India arrowroot comes from the genus Curcuma
> angustifolia.
> Brazilian arrowroot comes from the cassava plant
> (Manihot esculenta).
> Tacca or Otaheite arrowroot comes from Tacca
> pinnatifida.
> Portland arrowroot comes from Arum maculatum.
>
> Some manufacturers adulterate arrowroot with other
> starches eg potato starch, or retail tapioca
> starch as arrowroot.. Considering the cost,
> consumers should check that it is pure arrowroot,
> as other starches have different properties to
> arrowroot.
>
> Culina in SIngapore has very fine Italian wheat
> flour - it may do as a substitute for wheaten
> cornflour.
>
> Maize cornflour AU is the same as cornstarch US.

October 25, 2009 04:14AM
Your point being what, pig?????
Out of interest - where in NZ have you bought wheaten corn flour from?? I'm in Auckland and have looked everywhere with no joy. Any help greatly appreciated! smiling smiley
September 21, 2011 06:22AM
Supermarkets usually have - they do in Tauranga anyway. In fact, most cornflour seems to be wheaten rather than corn.
J1
September 21, 2011 08:24AM
If you pick up a pack of cornflour at the supermarket, then read the ingredient list on the back, it will say whether it's wheaten cornflour or genuine (maize) cornflour.
September 22, 2011 01:25AM
Eileen

wheaten cornflour = Wheat Starch = Tung Min Fen or Cheng Fen (澄粉)
September 24, 2011 07:17AM
The Fielders cornflour is wheaten, someone was having trouble finding it
Arrowroot though especially good for thickening fruit sauces etc as clear can go thin again if it is cooked out too long so beware

Potato flour someone mentioned is very good in sponge cakes - not for the whole dry quantity but with the flour quantity instead of the cornflour part
September 24, 2011 07:32AM
I was shopping at NW today and they had labelled bags of Wheaten Cornflour on the shelf there
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.