Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Batter sticking to deep fryer basket

Posted by Maggie 
Batter sticking to deep fryer basket
September 11, 2006 10:32AM
When I deep fry small battered items eg oysters - they stick to the bottom of the basket and become "lodged" - very frustrating - how can I prevent this please
Re: Batter sticking to deep fryer basket
September 11, 2006 10:34AM
if you give your basket a shake sometimes that can dislodge it ,... just a gentle shake should help

Tessa....

"A computer and a cat are somewhat alike - they both purr, and spend a lot of the day motionless.
They also have secrets they don't share."

September 11, 2006 11:25AM
Hello Maggie,
I wonder if the oil is not hot enough? As soon as the battered item hits the cooking oil it should immediately be suspended by the hot oil and cooking.
Regards,
Dawn.
September 11, 2006 10:51PM
Good advice - have got it on what they recommend but Ill try that suggestion Dawn. Your quite right - thats exactly what they should do. I have tried to shake the basket Angel but they have already stuck. Thank you for your replies.
September 11, 2006 10:55PM
I don't use my basket for that very reason
I use a slooted spoon to retreve small items that I want to deep fry.
Then I have no problem

Bev M
Very Sunny Whitianga
September 12, 2006 12:27AM
Maggie - I've just had another thought and wonder if you are doing this when your fryer is on the recommended setting:

You know how the fryer light either changes colour or goes out which indicates the fryer oil has reached the temperature setting? Well, the instructions on my deep fryer say that when you first turn your fryer on you should not use it until the light has gone off, come back on again and then gone off again. This is to to enable even and sufficient heating of the oil before its initial use. I hope you can understand what I mean. My deep fryer doesn't live in this house, so I can't go and look up the instructions to give you a clearer idea!
Regards,
Dawn.

September 12, 2006 01:13AM
Hello

Like Bev, when I am deep frying battered or crumbed things that have a tendency to stick, I just chuck them straight into the oil without using the basket, and use a slotted spoon to remove them when they are done. That way there is no chance of anything sticking and you get perfectly crisp, intact batter.

:-)
September 12, 2006 08:07AM
Completely understood what you were suggesting Dawn - gosh as soon as the green light comes on - in goes the food!!!!! I will wait next time for that cycle to do its thing then not use the wire basket like the other ladies suggested - and turn the oil temp up. Thank you all so very much for those hints and I think I might be on the right track next time :-)
September 12, 2006 08:33AM
I'm with you DanielleW and I don't use the basket either for smaller things, instead using a slotted spoon to remove them.
When you do bigger items such as fish. I usually do what I see them doing in the fish and chip shop and hold the end of the fish (if it is battered) and kind of wallow it around a bit in the oil so it won't stick to the basket.
If anything is battered I usually find if I drop it in, it sticks, this way it doesnt stick.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.