how to bottle beetroot

Posted by Doff 
how to bottle beetroot
January 07, 2007 12:26AM
have some in garden ready have not done any for years cannot remember the
quantities of water ,vinegar and sugar please help
Re: how to bottle beetroot
January 07, 2007 12:57AM
cook beetroot in microwave and cut when cool.

1 cup water
1/2 cup vinegar [white or brown]
2 tsp soft brown sugar
salt & pepper
bring to boil and bottle
January 07, 2007 01:00AM
thank you Jean
January 07, 2007 11:52AM
Bottled Beetroot
3 cups vinegar (i use malt)
2 cups water
2 1/2 cups sugar (iuse 2 cups)
2 tsp plain salt
boil together add cooked sliced beetroot return to boil then bottle.
I sometimes add some freshly ground black pepper to mixture.
I have used this recipe for years
Jean
January 08, 2007 01:13AM
I use the following and find the family like the beetroot bottled with the addition of the spices.

Cook beetroot until tender and then cool and remove skins, Make a mixture of the following
3/4 cup sugar, 1-1/2 cups white vinegar, 3/4 water( I use water from cooking beetroot) 1 bay leaf, 1/2 cinnamon stick, 1/2 tsp peppercorns, 1/2 tsp mustard seed, 1/2 tsp cloves, 1/4 tsp salt. Place all into saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer about 5 mins. and strain. Placed sliced beetroot into hot jars and top up with vinegar mixture. Seal. Store in cool place.
Enjoy!
January 08, 2007 03:18AM
How long do I need to cook beetroot in the microwave?

Have fun
Ruth
January 20, 2007 12:13AM
I put 3 or 4 beet in a pyrex casserole with just a drop of water and cook on high for about 10 mins. then test with a skewer.
Jean
March 01, 2009 01:37AM
Hi
Your recipe sounds great!What does the sugar actually do, Can splenda be use instead of sugar?
Thanks for sharing Sue
March 01, 2009 04:48AM
The sugar balances the vinegar same as in sweet and sour . The amounts used are adjustable to taste.
If you are a user of artificial sweetener I can't see why it can't be used. I have used artificial sweeteners in other preserves and other items.

Jean
March 01, 2009 09:20PM
Can you omit the vinegar from the preserving liquid? We don't buy canned beetroot because of this.
March 02, 2009 07:22PM
This recipe looks very tasty. Please could you tell me how many lbs or kgs of beetroot are needed to this amount of liquid.
Have just found you site and find it great!
March 04, 2009 08:37PM
Mine is even more simple. Cook beetroot - I just cover with water, bring to boil and simmer for as long as it takes - usually about half an hour, but depends on size of beetroot. Drain and allow to cool enough to handle. Skins will just rub off, although you will look as if you have slaughtered someone!.
Slice, and layer in clean jars (sterilised in oven) with roughly half a tsp salt and half a tsp sugar sprinkled on each layer. Half fill jar with vinegar, then top off with water. Screw lid on and give a little shake.
I have done them this way for years, and never had a problem.
March 05, 2009 07:11AM
Grace: the vinegar is what preserves the beetroot; pickles it in fact. In order to preserve it without vinegar you'd have to process the filled/covered jars in a hot water bath which expels all the air and creates a vacuum which nasty bugs can't develop in. I've never tried to freeze it nor heard of anyone else doing it, but that's not to say it doesn't work. A google might tell you if it's possible.

Lynne2
JeanT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bottled Beetroot
> 3 cups vinegar (i use malt)
> 2 cups water
> 2 1/2 cups sugar (iuse 2 cups)
> 2 tsp plain salt
> boil together add cooked sliced beetroot return to
> boil then bottle.
> I sometimes add some freshly ground black pepper
> to mixture.
> I have used this recipe for years
> Jean

August 22, 2009 03:09PM
Hi Lynne2,
I have been freezing beetroot for many years as I do not like beetroot in vinegar. Prepare in the usual way and then slice. Either open freeze on trays for single slices or in portions in plastic bags. I too would like to be able to preserve beetroot without vinegar, but don't know if it is possible.
Luckyling
January 20, 2010 06:03PM
JeanT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bottled Beetroot
> 3 cups vinegar (i use malt)
> 2 cups water
> 2 1/2 cups sugar (iuse 2 cups)
> 2 tsp plain salt
> boil together add cooked sliced beetroot return to
> boil then bottle.
> I sometimes add some freshly ground black pepper
> to mixture.
> I have used this recipe for years
> Jean

January 20, 2010 10:18PM
For anyone wanting to bottle beetroot using less vinegar and sugar here is the recipe I've always used and the one my Mother always used.

Wash and cook Beetroot. When cool enough to handle skin and slice into the following boiling mixture:

3 cups water
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 oz salt
2 ozs (2 1/2 tablespoons) sugar

Seal using the overflow method.

Regards,
Dawn.
GD
September 15, 2011 12:29PM
No, you cannot omit the vinegar unless you do a botulinum cook of the jars in a pressure cooker (121 degrees c for at least 3 minutes)! Normal bottling depends on an acidity <4.5 or a water availability <75% (hence the use of sugar in bottled fruit) to prevent bacterial spores from multiplying.
September 20, 2011 12:50AM
I believe you can use acetic acid in place of vinegar. Don't know if it would work here, but it would be worth looking into. Not sure of the ratio with water, but have seen pickle recipes using it.
November 12, 2011 04:49PM
hi, have bottled beetroot with various recipes, but after storing beetroot has fermented and is unedible. What am I doing wrong?
November 14, 2011 05:16AM
Are you sterilizing the jars and lids and sealing the lids down properly when you bottle the beetroot? What is your method of bottling?
November 18, 2011 02:47AM
All into the pan and bring to boil. Cook about 5 minutes. And strain. Place sliced ​​beets into hot jars and top with vinegar mixture. Sealing. Stored in a cool place.

Wedding Cufflinks
November 19, 2011 04:16AM
What about any recipes for beetroot relish??? Have tried a really nice one with grated beetroot and possibly balsamic vinegar.. anyone have any recipe to share
have just boiled beetroot and there is alot of yellow in it. Can I still bottle this and will it still be the same
THS
Preserving vegetables
February 02, 2012 12:49AM
do we need to use a pressure canner or the water bath method. When can we just bottle the vegetables and store them?
February 02, 2012 11:42PM
As far as I know you need to seal beetroot in jars with a proper seal not just a lid or it will ferment. I have never used anything other than the hot overflow method for doing beetroot and havn't had any problems. My recipe is for those who like simple smiling smileyequal quantities of sugar, vinegar and water boiled together with any spice that takes your fancy at the time, pack hot cooked beetroot into sterilized jars, cover with boiling liquid, seal, try not to eat immediaely! I love beetroot
February 28, 2012 06:59AM
Is It ok to leave the whole spices in with the bottled end product.
February 29, 2012 01:57AM
You can use ground or whole spices and its fine to leave them in they will just get abit stronger as the beetroot sits.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.