Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Banoffee Pie recipe by Highlander Condensed Milk

Posted by Lou 
Calling all Banoffee Pie fans out there...

Does anyone have the Highlander Condensed Milk recipe for Banoffee Pie which has featured in NZ House & Garden. The base is made with Gingernuts and is always a hit... only problem being I've lost the recipe.

If anyone should have it please send it through. It will answer my calls from many friends for this mysterious recipe.
Re: Banoffee Pie recipe by Highlander Condensed Milk
February 14, 2007 03:48AM
Hi Lou

I don't know if this is exactly what you are after but here goes smiling smiley

BANOFFI PIE
(a Nestle recipe)

INGREDIENTS:
150g melted butter,
250g packet plain biscuits (crushed),
330g can highlander caramel,
2 bananas,
3/4 cup cream (whipped),
2-3 Tbsp grated chocolate.

METHOD:
Combine the melted butter and crushed biscuits and mix thoroughly. Press the mixture into the base and sides of a deep 20cm loose-based flan. Refrigerate for 30 mins Spread caramel over crumb base and refrigerate for 1 hour, until caramel is firm.To serve, slice the bananas and arrange half of them over the set caramel. Top with the whipped cream and decorate with the remaining banana slices and grated chocolate.

Regards
Sharon

As a parent, it is not what you give your children that builds their character but what you allow them to give you
Author Unknown
February 14, 2007 04:18AM
Do you have an idea when it was in the House & Garden magazine, we have a lot of copies here at work and I could look it up.

Alison
You are an absolute star - thank you very much.

And it is damn close to the original recipe. How I know that is that at the same time as posting this I left a message via Nestle's NZ website and much to my utter amazement and absolute joy, they managed to dig the advertisement itself out of their archives and pop it in the post. One gold star for the seemingly big hairy audacious corporate!!

Thanks again - I can now forward your recipe on to all those who have loved and thought they would never love again.
Could I please have a copy of this original recipe for the above pie.
thanks
Allison
hi , i too loved this recipe but lost it when my marriage broke up , could you please e-mail it to me .forever in your debt , Pete. many thanks.
ANy chance you could email me the Banoffee Pie recipe? Your version with the gingernuts sounds fantastic.
October 24, 2007 06:27AM
me to please. I love the sound of gingernuts.

sue
Hi
would love a copy of the recipe please
Thanks
Nicky
November 05, 2007 01:06PM
Could I please also have a copy of this recipe? I love anything with gingernuts in it.
Thanks in anticipation smiling smiley
Any chance you could email a copy of the gingernut version to me also please????

Thanks heaps
Toni
sue
November 06, 2007 12:58AM
Can I also have a gingernut version please please
Thanks sue
Hullo- may I also be emailed the banoffe version! Ive lost mine also when moving House! I Miss it! Thanks, Lisa
November 12, 2007 03:40AM
Banoffi Pie

Base
150g butter
250g gingernut biscuits crushed

Topping
125g butter
395g can condensed milk
2 tbsp golden syrup
300ml cream whipped
2 bananas
Chocolate

Base
Melt the butter over medium heat and stir in the crushed gingernut biscuits. Press into the base and sides of a 20cm loose-base flan tin.

Refrigerate until firm, approximately 30-40 minutes.

Topping
Combine the butter, sweetened condensed milk and golden syrup in a saucepan, stirring over medium heat until boiling. Reduce the heat and stir constantly for 5 minutes.

Spread the caramel topping over the base and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.

Slice the bananas and spread in a single layer over the caramel.

Cover with the whipped cream and decorate with shaved chocolate.

Enjoy!
Hi, my girlfriend makes this pie, but this is the way she makes the caramel

In a pot of water, put the tin of condensed milk - make sure the water covers the tin. Boil for 2 hours - the milk turns to caramel inside the tin - only problem - you have to keep an eye on the pot as the water can boil out, so keep adding water to cover the tin
December 18, 2007 07:31AM
To add to Sandie's message a word of warning: pressure builds up in the tin during boiling so please do make sure the tin has cooled before opening. The danger of opening or puncturing the can while it's hot is the pressurised tin will cause burning hot caramel to jet out of the tin and severe burns will result.
Regards,
Dawn.
Can you please email the recipe
I also used to have it And would love to make it again
June 27, 2009 02:30PM
Another tip is to use the caramel condensed milk. I have made Banoffie pie using this and it was divine.
June 27, 2009 11:24PM
Liz, scroll up a couple of posts and the recipe is there, but the Nestle one uses digestive (wheatmeal these days) biscuits. Also, the instruction re boiling the condensed milk etc says to boil gently till it thickens (not necessarily 5 minutes as stated in the post above). Otherwise, the recipe is the same as used to be on the condensed milk tin.

Another interesting aspect about the biscuit base: Some very pc people with nothing better to do complained that the word 'digestive' could suggest that the biscuits were in some way good for the digestion and deemed it misleading, so the manufacturers were forced to change the name to wheatmeal. The shape has also changed. I remember when the real digestives were a larger than normal round shape, quite thin and very crispy with lots of texture. Nowadays, they're the same size and thickness of all the other round biscuits on the market and don't have that special 'something' that the old digestives had. In fact, are the plain digestives still available, albeit as wheatmeal? Plenty of milk chocolate and dark chocolate ones, but I can't remember seeing plain ones lately.
Could i also have a copy of the Gingernut recipe...plz! Sounds yummy...much appreciated smiling smiley
September 14, 2009 04:56AM
could i please have acopy of this recipe too if it is not too much trouble thanks anne
September 14, 2009 04:58AM
whoops just found it thanks
I make mine using a sweet shortcrust pastry base, the recipe for both the banoffii pie (including the pastry base) is at [hippypad.co.nz] .
January 02, 2010 01:28AM
p

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 03:38AM by hippy chick.
January 03, 2010 07:09PM
Me too please or could you just post it for all the banoffee lovers out there thanks in anticipation, kind regards Lucy
January 06, 2010 12:50AM
Sorry to put more work on you but me too please.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Ancksunamun

[www.curd-nerd.com]
Your Essential Home Cheese Making Site

[www.growingandgathering.com]
Edible Garden Blog
January 06, 2010 05:43AM
Hippy chick has already posted a recipe just above Lucy's. Click on her www.hippypad link.
Ginger nut recipe is above, use that scroll , it's on page 2.

We still have normal, proper Digestive biscuits over in the UK. I'm surprised, if someone was going to an arse and complain about something utterly petty, I'd have thought it'd be over here! Maybe we're not so bad after all.

Another tip, when you boil a can of the old milk, add another 2 tins to the pan and then keep them. I've kept cans for months, years actually. Because they're still sealed, they'll keep probably as long as they would've originally. Then when you fancy another banoffee feast, all you need to do if buy the cream and make the base, assuming you've got bananas and Digestive or Ginger Nuts in the house.

I'm making mine later on today, to celebrate my birthday.

Mmm.... Ginger Nuts, I'm surprised that no-one has complained about that name too!

Stay safe
d
there is actually 420g of caramel in the recipe
May 17, 2012 12:25AM
"Ginger Nuts, I'm surprised that no-one has complained about that name too"

Ha ha - give them time smiling smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.