Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Google

Posted by Dawn 
Google
January 28, 2008 10:37AM
I love the way the 'Google' heading or insignia symbolises occasions.

Today it's like Lego bricks to symbolise the 50th anniversary of Lego Bricks.

Have they really been around that long? I can't believe it - wow time flies!!
Regards,
Dawn.
Re: Google
January 29, 2008 08:59PM
Tell us where we can see this insignia, please, Dawn. I have Google as my search engine but that's all. I don't otherwise use Google.
January 29, 2008 09:17PM
Oh Dear Lorna - you've missed it!! It's back to normal today! It was only there for 3, maybe 4 days. You will possibly have noticed in the lead-up to Christmas, that the little elves(?) decorated the "google" letters and day by day a little more decoration was added. Of course by Christmas Day it was looking in fine fettle.

They often have a cute little symbol incorporated into their google heading to signify a nationwide or worldwide event. Olympics was another occasion where there were fun decorations.

I'll let you know when I see the next one - before it disappears from sight and makes a liar out of me huh!
Regards,
Dawn.

January 29, 2008 09:21PM
The Google logo/heading/insignia is simply the Google word, which is in colour (blue G, red o, yellow o, blue g, green l, red e) on the main search page. They often change it to match whatever event is happening on any particular day. If you scroll down two-thirds of this page [www.geekgirls.com] you'll see examples of what the Google word did for US Thanksgiving, Monet's birthday and Halloween. Sometimes the change to the word is very subtle, other times it stands out a lot and grabs your attention, like the Lego brick one. Here are a couple of interesting web pages about Google lego, etc.

[googletalk.blogspot.com]

[www.mocpages.com]

(oops, good morning, Dawn, we've posted at the same time smiling smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2008 09:22PM by Jennifer1.
January 29, 2008 09:30PM
Morning J1. Good on you - I don't mind one bit - you've added a much broader and more interesting description to what I've written! I thoroughly enjoy opening Google to find a bit of titivation going on!
D1 ('i')
January 29, 2008 09:45PM
that was interesting thank you Dawn. Did you know Trademe do the same with their kiwi in the top left hand side - he had various Xmas guises over the Xmas build up, and last week was decked out in mountain gear for Sir Ed's funeral - I never noticed Google did it and I use it all the time - oops sad smiley
January 29, 2008 10:12PM
Hello Irene - no I didn't know Trade-me does it too - I'm not a regular T/m user though! I think it's neat that they should do it!

I have Google in my "links" and I click onto that when I want to do a search and that opens up the Google page and I do my search from that page. This way I see the "real" Google insignia and can see what if any events they are signifying.

I used to have the Google search bar up in the menu bar and I could do a gooooooogle search directly from there which eliminates opening up the gooogle page itself. I suspect maybe both you and Lorna do your google searches this way, and if so, you would then miss seeing the real google insignia.

Hope you can underkerstumble my interpretation!
Regards,
Dawn.

January 29, 2008 10:50PM
I love checking the Google & Trademe sites to see what they have each day.They are very clever!!!

Judith
January 30, 2008 08:04PM
You're right Dawn. I never open the Google page, I just have the little search box up in my menu bar, and I have the options of searching world-wide or only in NZ and for images, which I use a lot to find images to attach to my recipes in MasterCook.
March 03, 2008 08:21AM
Lorna - Alexander Graham Bell (3 March 1847 - 2 August 1922) was an eminent scientist, inventor and innovator.

Here today Lorna if you're quick enough - maybe gone tomorrow!
Regards,
Dawn.
March 03, 2008 08:34PM
Hi Dawn, thank you for that. I clicked on Google Home but it just comes up with Google.co.nz so I typed Google.com into the address bar but it automatically changes it to .co.nz again, and the 'Google' is just plain.
March 03, 2008 10:13PM
Same here Lorna! I think Dawn is playing games with us. I wasn't at all interested in this thread , but you know how curiosity gets the better of you well..........
March 03, 2008 10:19PM
Told you Lorna - here today, gone tomorrow, or in this case here yesterday, gone today!! But we'll get you there on time one day! I'll keep you posted.

Gotta play games with someone Stephanie!
*d*
sue
March 04, 2008 04:44AM
Dawn did see it - really. I saw it all so.
March 04, 2008 06:25AM
Thank you so much Sue - you are my saviour!

In case Jennifer1 is counting my editing - I thought I was going to be able to provide a link to show Lorna and Stephanie - but had trouble getting it to come up. Might try again later!
*d*

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 06:34AM by Dawn.
March 04, 2008 06:47AM
Lorna and Jennifer - I've got my magic wand this time and I've waved it - and turned today back into yesterday - just for you two ...................[www.google.com] .......and of course to prove I'm not trying to make your peg-legs one longer than the other!
*d*
PS - (Dear God, this had better work for me this time - thank you in anticipation).
March 04, 2008 08:20AM
God loves a tryer - well, I did try! You gotta be quick! (Wand has been banished haha).
*me*

March 04, 2008 08:54PM
Dawn, our 'problem' in not seeing the same thing seems to be the approximately 12 hours difference in our visiting Foodlovers. I am a morning person, whereas you, despite your name, seem to be a night owl. By the time I see your post, it's all over as far as Google goes. However, I'm not going to cry into my soup about it, but thank you for your efforts.
March 04, 2008 09:22PM
Lorna, no problem - I quite realise you were digesting Foodlovers along with your muesli and yoghurt the next morning and missed it he he!!

The funny part was that I stumbled across it yesterday afternoon and just for fun thought I'd try to post the link - and it backfired!
Regards,
Dawn.
April 22, 2008 01:12AM
If anyone's interested -
Today is International Earth Day and Google has been dressed up accordingly. [www.google.co.nz]
But you will only see Google's Earth Day Version for as long as Google displays it i.e. it may only be up for 24 hours!

What is International Earth Day? - [en.wikipedia.org]
Regards,
Dawn.

Anonymous User
Google
April 25, 2008 03:12AM
Today of course is Anzac Day & Google has a poppy for today .....

[www.google.co.nz]

Lyn
April 25, 2008 10:59PM
I checked both the Google.com & Google.nz home pagesyesterday and could see nothing different. No poppies, nothing.
April 25, 2008 11:25PM
Lorna,

Click on Lyn's link above and look above the box where you put in your search words and where the word Google is written in big multi coloured letters. The first o was replaced by a poppy yesterday, although of course it's back to normal today. The word is often adorned accordingly for special days - Christmas, St Patrick's Day etc - quite clever really. I'll let you know next time they do it so that you can have another look.

Kind regards,

Barbie Girl
April 26, 2008 04:01AM
I think if you go to www.xtra.co.nz they are still there today in the google search engine,hopefully this is what you are referring to,
April 26, 2008 10:36AM
....Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are referring to Yahoo, which has the oo as replaced with poppies.

Lyn is referring to the Google site.

Kind regards,

Barbie Girl
April 26, 2008 12:12PM
Here's a link to "public holiday" Google logos of the past.

Although Anzac Day hasn't been added to it yet, the elusive Alexander Graham Bell one that I tried so hard to put up for Lorna is there!!! Gotcha Lorna - now you can see it! There's many years' worth of them actually, but I haven't gone into the links of previous years.
[www.google.com]

Incidentally the Anzac Day logo wasn't there first thing in the/my morning on 25th, but was there when I used Google around about 11 a.m.
Regards,
Dawn.
May 01, 2008 05:49AM
Lorna,

Yesterday, a bunch of flowers appeared adorning the word Google on the home page, or at least I assume that's what it is... - for Mother's Day?

Not their best or most recognisable effort, but it's there nevertheless.

Regards,

Barbie Girl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2008 05:50AM by barbie girl.
May 01, 2008 06:02AM
But it's not Mother's Day till 11th May (in NZ anyway).

I must get in the habit of checking the Google homepage each morning just in case there's something special there. As I visit Foodlovers early in the morning (usually), any messages telling me about the embellishments is usually too late for me to see until next morning, by which time it's all over.
May 01, 2008 07:36AM
Hello Barbie Girl,
I thought they were a bunch of glorified lollypops!! They are by an artist Jeff Koons and I think they are probably meant to relate to "What happens when great art mixes with the Google homepage?" See the link:

[www.google.co.nz]

Personally, I prefer the usual Google logo with the occasional titivation that they've been doing in the past. Maybe they will still do themes in recognition of public events etc.?
Regards,
Dawn.
May 01, 2008 11:10PM
WOW! I've seen it!! Those huge garish lollipops. Only on the NZ site, though; the .com site is still plain today.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.