Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Google

Posted by Dawn 
Re: Google
May 01, 2008 11:35PM
Here is some inconsequential information for the week:

the lollipops are balloons, and are a piece of artwork by the American Artist Jeff Koons
I have no idea why they are there but under the search boxes, google has written the following:

What happens when great art mixes with your homepage? iGoogle Artist Themes

so possibly this Jeff Koons is the 'Artiste of the Week' ????????

oh, and how did I know the balloon/lollipops are a creation by the artiste, Jeff Koons, because if you scroll over the image it reads 'by Jeff Koons' smiling smiley

May 11, 2008 09:20AM
Have you seen the Mother's Day 'Google'?

A mother duck and her ducklings.

Just beautiful.

Happy Mother's Day!

Kind regards,

Barbie Girl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2008 09:22AM by barbie girl.
May 12, 2008 12:36AM
Barbie Girl - we were away and came home this morning and I've missed it - darn!

Yes - hope all Mums had a wonderful Mother's Day yesterday!
Regards,
Dawn.
May 12, 2008 09:55PM
I'm going to diarise to remind me to have a look first thing in the morning on Queen's Birthday, see if anything special has been done.
Anonymous User
May 16, 2008 06:35AM
Hi Lorna,

I have just now opened up Google & see that today there is another special Google page - this time for the 'Invention of the First Laser'.
Lyn

[www.google.co.nz]

May 16, 2008 07:33AM
I would have missed it too Lyn - so thanks from me! Life seems to be too busy and I haven't been doing much Gooogling this week.

This lazer one is a bit different and in a very vague sort of way (just my imagination) but it immediately reminded me of the French knitting we used to do as kids (and nothing to do with lazers). A wooden cotton reel with four small nails or tacks (?) evenly spaced around the top, wool and I think I used a knitting needle to flick the wool over the nails to make the stitches. I loved making French knitting, yards and yards of it in all different glorious colours!
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2008 07:39AM by Dawn.
May 16, 2008 01:06PM
Dawn
French Knitting I remember it just as you describe it. stitched it into teapot stands.
I also remember doing it when I was doing my training at somewhere around 18 or 19yrs old. several of us did french knitting and we would go up on to the roof of the nurses Home 4 or 5 floors high, and drop the knitted cord over the railing and watch it straighten out and see who reached the ground first.
That was how we untangled the cord as well as checked the progress.
Don't remember what we did with that lot.
Jean

Jean
May 16, 2008 11:18PM
It's still there this morning, but if you showed me that without telling me it says 'Google' I would never have known. It's very pretty, though, and just like Dawn says, it reminds me of French knitting, or those string art pictures, where you banged a series of nails into a piece of wood then wound layers of different coloured embroidery threads around to form (mostly) abstract designs. Here are pictures of some examples, mainly on a star theme, but the possibilities were endless.
[images.google.co.nz]
May 16, 2008 11:48PM
Morning Jean and Lorna,
Jean, I still have a huge ball of French knitting tucked away (somewhere) from way back when would you believe!! It used up all Mum's excess bits of wool. I can't remember what we actually made with the knitting but I do remember the challenge (and the fun) was in knitting the longest ball of French knitting with the most variety of colours!

You will remember too Jean - Peggy squares were an in-thing at the time too so the larger balls of spare wool went into these, and the little balls of left over wool we could use for French knitting. Old hand-knitted cardigans or jumpers were most times unravelled and made into skeins, washed and then wound into balls ready for use. These were often re-knitted or used for Peggy squares and French knitting. I loved winding the skeins of wool into balls and then laterly when Mum got one of those fandangled little ball winders it was great fun turning the handle to wizz up a ball of wall. Oh the memories! Peggy squares have never really gone out of fashion for making the colouful knee rugs and throws for the elderley (and not so elderley too!)

Lorna - you're privileged - you still have the Lasered Google this morning - mine has gone back to normal. But you certainly are right - I had to study the lasered version hard to read "google" and it was definitely similar to the string pictures!
Regards,
Dawn.

May 18, 2008 07:37AM
Hello!! I just clicked on to use Google and got a surprise to find it looking less like the word and more like a row of buildings!!!! Apparently the 125th birthday of Walter Gropius (a German architect). Here's more information if anyone's interested [en.wikipedia.org]
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2008 11:31AM by Dawn.
May 18, 2008 09:22AM
I saw it , I saw it! I have been trying and trying to see the different Google, I really thought you were all in on a conspiracy but now I am part of it too!
May 18, 2008 10:28AM
Welcome to the club, Stephanie, good to have you with us. I know how frustrating it can be to keep missing because I don't hear about it soon enough, but the few times I have been quick enough, I've enjoyed the inventiveness.
May 18, 2008 11:42AM
Ole - ole, ole, ole, Stephanie! Now you know you're leg wasn't being pulled after all huh - it's been proven!

You've joined Google fan Club!
Regards,
Dawn.
May 29, 2008 05:03AM
Check out Google today!!!

Really cool,huh?

Judith
May 29, 2008 08:10AM
This is getting more than I can cope with- I have seen it twice now!
May 30, 2008 07:42AM
B*gger - missed it again! Just arrived home from a visit to Rotorua, popped in home and now off again to the winterless north!
D.
May 30, 2008 11:06PM
I missed whatever Judith was talking about, but I checked the NZ Google site this morning just in case they've done something for Queen's Birthday weekend, but nothing yet. Maybe they will have it embellished on Monday. I'll try and remember to check again.
May 31, 2008 02:28AM
Lorna,it was the 50th anniversary of Hillary climbing Everest.

Cheers,Judith
June 04, 2008 09:40AM
Quick Quick ladies..... today it is a hot air balloon
June 04, 2008 12:14PM
Thankyou, thankyou - got it!!!
Regards,
Dawn.
June 04, 2008 11:09PM
Missed it, but I did ckeck every day of the long weekend and there was absolutely nothing to celebrate Queen's Birthday. Perhaps the Google people are all Republicans! sad smiley
June 05, 2008 01:22AM
If you look at the Trademe homepage the wee kiwi on the top left hand side is celebrating 'World Environment Day'

mmm looks like Google doesn't give a rats posterior about it as they are back to plain.

Gosh they overlook Queens Birthday, World Environment Day but can commemorate the first Hot Air Balloon flight smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2008 01:22AM by Irene Field.
June 05, 2008 10:24AM
you beat me to it Irene! - I was going to say that google might not just be republicans - but also Americans! all in all a very narcissistic culture (imho)

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
June 06, 2008 02:14AM
and just went to use Google for some info, and today vee have zee noted Spaneesh painter Diego Valezques - ole !!!
June 06, 2008 02:22AM
That change must have happened in the last hour or so as it wasn't there early this morning. USA time?
D.
July 08, 2008 01:03AM
Google's looking a bit messy this morning - celebrating Mark Chagall's Birthday and I have to show my ignorance here, maybe he's involved in Arts, haven't got time to look him up at the moment. Hope his birthday isn't quite as busy as Google looks!
[www.google.co.nz]
D.
July 08, 2008 02:40AM
Good for them for trying, but they do no justice to Chagall, a painter, whose work is full of whimsy----happy and lovely.
July 08, 2008 08:52AM
He's gone from Google now, but I'm sure his birthday was very happy and lovely, just as you say his paintings are Stephanie T and yes, I could see the whimsey in the Google depiction!
Regards,
Dawn.
July 08, 2008 10:05PM
Dawn, would you PLEASE live up to your name and post these items about Google at around 5.30am so that I can get to see them? grinning smiley I never see your posts till the next day because I've already visited Foodlovers and I severly restrict myself to once a day, to make it a real treat.
July 08, 2008 11:25PM
Dearest Lorna the fact of the matter is, that's what happens when a person gives up milking cows........it allows time for well deserved snoozies...... a little beyond the 5.30 realm....... and that's my treat!! Plus, for added comfort, when I have awoken from beautiful snoozies, I have my cuppa in the comfort of the bed before doing my scratchies amd stretchies and leaping ever-so-daintily out of the warmth of the sack to face another real day in the land of the lengthy grey clouds. I hope this conjures up breathless imaginary imagery in your mind enough to cheer you and replace the sadness in your heart from missing yet another wonderful world of GOOGLE figurative illustrations!
Fond regards,
Dawn.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.