Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Google

Posted by Dawn 
Re: Google
July 29, 2009 01:51AM
I do look forward to the creative look that Google produces on auspicious occasions.

What I would love to know is how they do this. Does someone out there know? If so is there an online tutorial on how to combine letters with pictures.

I have tried to find this information, but I am unsure just what the correct wording is. I can find tutorials of pictures within letters, but not as Google does with pictures attached to the letters.

July 29, 2009 05:42AM
They have their own artists in various countires. Recently in the mail at school we got a pack from Google for a student art competition for google NZ to design a NZ "google" on anything that they thought was "kiwi". There were a few examples in the pack of other country entries
August 12, 2009 06:23AM
there is a new one... looks good !!
August 12, 2009 08:56AM
What do you think it is "about". Is it a phenomenan or marking a certain day or persons life?
August 12, 2009 09:04AM
If you click on the picture Maryloo it gives you the background. Apparently it is to do with expected comet showers - but I didn't read fully into it
August 12, 2009 09:37AM
The showers are really only seen in the Northern hemisphere so don't get too excited.
August 12, 2009 10:32AM
Thank you for that Irene - very helpful, and no StephanieD I wont get excited! To tell the truth I cant actually gaze up into the night sky at the best of times. I get a shiver of "fear" for want of another word when I do so. It must be the unfathomable sense of vastness or something bigger than all of us! Not sure what it is.
As a child I used to be scared of looking up into the night sky.
I still do have a slight nervousness when I ever look for a comet, etc or just looking for a planet. The moon doesnt worry me as that distance is finite I guess.
August 12, 2009 12:02PM
I thought it was bombs and rockets raining down on Orewa. I go sleepwalking just for the sheer pleasure of witnessing these events. Magic!
August 12, 2009 12:29PM
A friend in the Northern hemisphere (California) was online and kept going outside to look. She said it was spectacular.
August 13, 2009 11:58PM
and another new one today celebrating Hans Christian Orsted birthday
August 25, 2009 03:32AM
A new one today for the anniversary of Galileo's telescope.
August 26, 2009 12:27AM
Isn't that just lovely! I'm one of those people who comes onto the FL forum fairly early in the morning so sometimes miss these google alerts until the next day. In that case, google nz has usually reverted to the normal, plain variety, so I go to [www.google.ca]. Canada being in the northern hemisphere are between 16 and 21 hours behind us and I get to see the decorated headings that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2009 12:29AM by Lorna.
August 26, 2009 09:59AM
Me too Lorna, but my PC at school displays it so I can show the children. It is a great talk starter.
September 05, 2009 02:32AM
A new one today - something to do with flying saucers?
September 05, 2009 03:00AM
I would probably have missed it today, thanks for that Margaret. Usually when I wave Mr Mouse over the Gooogle insignia it gives a brief description of what it's depicting - but that's not happening on this one! When I double clicked it I get sites for 'unexplained-mysteries, paranormal phenomena' so it must be an anniversary of some sort.
Regards,
Dawn.
September 05, 2009 10:35PM
Dawn, here's an explanation for why Google didn't put a brief description on their doodle yesterday. I have no idea what District 9 is. Will have to go and Google that, too.

"The new doodle has flummoxed web users because it does not appear to represent a specific event or launch, both of which are the usual reasons behind special Google doodle. Instead, clicking on the image of the UFO takes the user to a search for the term "unexplained phenomenon" which just happens to be one of the top trending search terms on Google today. Also in the top 10 search terms is the phrase "top 10 unexplained phenomena".

But is this chicken or is this egg? Did Google change the logo in response to the growing number of searches for "unexplained phenomenon" or is it specifically seeking to drive traffic to that term. Web users are asking if this is a precursor to some viral event or if is tied to yesterday's release of District 9."
September 05, 2009 10:44PM
District 9 is a recent release movie with a variety of unknown actors and is related to aliens coming to earth, being stranded here and their plight is very similar to apartheid - they are ostracised into a ghetto in Jo'burg. Peter Jackson has involvement in the movie, and it was released with very little fanfare and was a hit immediately. I think it was released about a month ago now??? But it won the weekend Box Office records in the States against whatever other movie was released that weekend.
September 15, 2009 02:26AM
I notice Google is in crop-circle formation today!
D.
September 21, 2009 12:10AM
and for today's Google....
H G Wells Birthday
September 26, 2009 11:06PM
Have a look at Googlle today - can you guess what it's celebrating? If I'd thought about it for long enough I may have guessed, but I was a bit quick with mousey!
Regards,
Dawn.
September 26, 2009 11:38PM
It made me laugh, Dawn. I was just going to start a new thread Googlle is funny today.
September 27, 2009 08:55PM
I wouldn't have got it, Dawn. It's very clever.
September 27, 2009 09:20PM
Check out today's!!!!

Judith
September 27, 2009 09:25PM
Gosh two different logos two days in a row! I love today's one! Thanks Judith.
Regards,
Dawn.
September 27, 2009 09:39PM
Confucius say....
Google remember one man birthday
that man very special man
September 27, 2009 09:41PM
Wow, I should have known that. It's my birthday too, and when anybody asks when is my birthday I always answer: "I share my birthday with Confucius and Brigitte Bardot. I have the brains of one the looks of the other, but I won't say who's brains or who's looks."

Now, does the Japanese writing say Google, or Confucius' Birthday?

I just Googled google.fr in case they had honoured Brigitte Bardot but they still have their own birthday logo up. The NZ one does not have my picture there sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2009 10:23PM by Lorna.
September 27, 2009 10:56PM
Happy 65th Birthday Lorna (with the Briget Bardot looks!) Aha, now I know why you have so much wisdom! Make the most of this day for it shall ne'er come again! (That's my wise quote)!
Regards,
Dawn.
September 28, 2009 10:36PM
Thank you Dawn, but I'm not quite of pensionable age yet. Another year to go. **sigh**. Until then, I'll remain the sweet young thing that I am. grinning smiley
September 28, 2009 11:49PM
Just guessing Lorna sweet young thing! You're going to pip me to the post! But there's still life beyond 65 isn't there - like keeping sweet and young? Otherwise, I'm scared!
Regards,
Dawn.
October 01, 2009 09:50PM
It's Gandhi's birthday today - simple but effective!
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2009 10:43PM by Dawn.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.