Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

cordless phones

Posted by karena 
cordless phones
August 04, 2011 05:33AM
I need to replace my cordless phone, and would really appreciate recommendations from this forum. Have checked Consumer NZ, but the ones they recommend often have poor reviews from Consumer members who have bought them - very confusing (though their list of features to consider is useful). I don't need more than one handset, compatibility with Bluetooth, mobile phone etc - but I do need one with a good rechargeable battery, and really good reception.
Re: cordless phones
August 04, 2011 12:39PM
I personally am a fan of Panasonic cordless phones. I've had nothing but good experiences with them over the last 15 years or so.

I just recently purchased this phone for my mother. So far it has worked very well. She likes it because the display has larger than average numbers which she finds much easier to read. However, I chose this model for the excellent reviews on call quality etc. I also think it feels very nice to hold, not too thin to rest on your shoulder, and not slippery either.

[www.noelleeming.co.nz]
August 04, 2011 01:10PM
I guess it depends on what you need like a button for call waiting etc, built in answer phone?

We have a Uniden at the moment and I hate it. I prefer my old Panasonic.
August 04, 2011 09:58PM
We had Panasonic which was brilliant, then when it died we replaced it with a Uniden using our Flybuys. We're not too fussed with Uniden and find the sound quality is not as good as the Panasonic. If there is a 'next one' it will be Panasonic.
Regards,
Dawn.
August 05, 2011 01:28AM
We have Uniden, which works for us. We wanted a triple set and when looking it was hard to find a brand that the stores had in stock featuring three.
Any problems were quickly sorted, mainly with our answerphone and messages not being deleted caused that bottom of a barrel tone.
When we bought we asked a question we usually ask; and that is: "Which brands do you have returned most often"?
I have also used Panasonic, which was good, but at the time of replacing we couldn't find a triple set.
August 05, 2011 03:12AM
We just purchased a replacement for our cordless phones and got a triple set of Panasonics. Our old set were also Panasonic and have been going for over 10 years but the batteries were starting to fade and we wanted additional base stations that didn't need a phone jack. We got 3 units for $149.99 from Harvey Norman.
August 07, 2011 08:56AM
Thanks everyone - my old phone is a Uniden, but think I'll try a Panasonic this time. A good idea to ask which brands come back most often - will do this too!
August 07, 2011 10:58PM
Another thing to ask as we had this problem.

Will the phone interfere with your SKY tv? Because SKY and most cordless phones run at the 1.8hz, it can cause a little trouble but in saying this, we had trouble 3-4 years ago. Im 100% sure the phones of today are much better.
August 08, 2011 01:27AM
I am glad you brought that up, Zeetra. Some cordless phones have been known to cause problems with wireless internet as well. Hopefully, that has improved in the last few years.
August 08, 2011 06:40AM
WiFi interference is only a problem if the phone you buy also runs on the same frequency as your wifi.

Most wifi runs at 2.4Ghz - newer setups can run at 5Ghz. Several years ago, the new rounds of cordless phones were also at 2.4Ghz causing a raft of problems.

If you get a 1.8Ghz phone - which most of the new DECT phones are, you're unlikely to have any problems. I believe most of the old Sky issues have loong been resolved with firmware updates of the Sky equipment - rather than it being anything to do with the cordless phones themselves.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.