Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

1 week holiday, where would you go?

Posted by helen 
1 week holiday, where would you go?
September 18, 2017 04:48AM
If you had 1 week to spend a holiday with your partner and no kids where would you go?

Ed and I have had a year of curved balls, he recently broke 8 ribs and smashed his clavicle in a ski accident (runaway snowboard hit him) and subsequently we missed a wedding in Greece where he was to be Best Man.

So, come November, he will hopefully be back lying down to sleep and we want to have a hot and interesting holiday but obviously don't want to spend our whole time travelling.

Where would you go?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2017 11:14AM by helen.
Re: 1 week holiday, where would you go?
September 18, 2017 08:52AM
Central Otago can get pretty hot and there is, as you will know, tons to do. You'll be in Queenstown in next to no time and can travel onwards from there.smiling bouncing smiley
Probably not what you had in mind though.
September 18, 2017 10:17PM
Noosa would be my pick
September 18, 2017 11:10PM
Last year we absolutely loved travelling almost right around New Caledonia so, if we had a week to spare and were in your situation, our pick would be to fly to Noumea and then either boat or fly to Isle des Pins because we haven't been there yet and it sounds idyllic and very romantic! [www.newcaledonia.travel]
Regards,
Dawn.
September 19, 2017 12:02AM
Singaore. I never tire of the place, there's so much to see and do.
September 19, 2017 03:47AM
Somewhere warm for a relaxing break - the Islands

Venice - if money was no object for a bit of romance

New York City or Boston for a city break

Marthas Vinyard/Nantucket for a nostalgic break

Meribel (France) for skiing

Vanessa
September 19, 2017 11:24AM
Vanessa those places look dreamy but think it would take us our whole week just flying there and back. smiling smiley

Dawn the Isle des Pins has certainly been on my radar as we both love snorkelling and it looks idyllic. I had thought that maybe a couple of days there would be enough as the accommodation is somewhat limited - Le Meridian looks to be the pick - and it is also quite $$.

I do like Noosa so that is also an option...

Chris as much as I like Central Otago I think we want to head off shore and our last trip south was when Ed had his accident.

Lorna I agree re Singapore as a destination but think maybe somewhere less urban and I think November is quite wet around there.
Phuket and Bali are also considerations, although Bali flights all go through Australia which makes them a bit lengthy and arduous.

I have been studying Luxury Escapes to see what resorts they have specials on. A friend recommended that website and there seems to be some great deals
September 20, 2017 02:39PM
So sorry to hear about Ed - what with that and your concussion I'm not surprised you're looking forward to a holiday! I'm afraid I can't make any recommendations for somewhere hot as I'm a cold-weather girl (the only hot holiday I've had was Tahiti earlier this year as part of my Antarctica/Easter Island trip and we got bored and came home early) but thank you for the Luxury Escapes link! I will definitely be bookmarking that.
September 21, 2017 09:46AM
Rarotonga for a relaxing holiday. Not far to go. Edgewater Resort is lovely. Just relax, swim, snorkel and read lots of books.
7 days would be all you need
September 21, 2017 09:56AM
I'm sorry to hear of Ed's accident, it seems like a little break away is just what you are both needing.
Have you thought of Fiji? Maybe it is too close to their rainy season. The flight times aren't too long and it should be relaxing.

I've also had a peek at the Luxury Escapes website, thanks for posting that.
September 21, 2017 11:24AM
Thanks everyone.
I think it may be Fiji or perhaps Rarotonga.
The week is actually getting smaller as we realise that we will be missed if we are not at Freddie's school athletics sports. 6 days is still better than none. smiling smiley
September 25, 2017 10:19AM
What about Great Barrier Island? Fly over on a sea plane...
September 27, 2017 10:35PM
Last week we spent a day at the Isle de Pines, totally recommended it, people are beautiful, friendly & oh so relaxing the water crystal clear. We loved it. We were on a cruise ship that did all the Islands & this was our choice to go back to for a holiday. It is a bit expensive at hotels but not ,ugh else to spend it on so could compensate there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.