Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Curious Cats

Posted by IngridO 
Curious Cats
January 17, 2018 09:38AM
My beautiful cat Zoey is so curious that she keeps getting locked in peoples garages, under houses, roofs....Every few nights we seem to lose her and hear her meows, from the neighbours shed or car even.

Has anyone got any ideas of how we can keep her safe and sound at our house.

Shes a 3 year old Tonkanese (not sure how thats is spelt!!)
Re: Curious Cats
January 18, 2018 01:45AM
The Asian breeds of cat seem to be the most inquisitive and intelligent, certainly the most friendly and people-compatible! My Burmese was always getting shut in somewhere. Lost him for about a week once and thought I'd never see him again. He'd gone into someone's garage down the road when the left they door open. As they only use their car once a week, it was that long before they found him. He didn't suffer too much, apparently. He came out glossy and not at all thin, though a little hungry. There must have been enough spiders and mice in there for him to survive the week. He lived until 3 days before his 18th birthday!

There's really nothing you can do unless you want to build a cat-proof fence in part of your garden to keep the cat confined to your property. Here's a place that manufactures and even installs it, though they say it's easy to install yourself. There's a video showing how it works. [catfence.nz]

Good luck, keeping cats confined is like trying to keep the tide back with a pointy stick!!
January 18, 2018 03:19AM
I agree, Oriental types are very intelligent, inquisitive and so they do wander. I had a Burmese fella who was the delight of my world for many years, but man, did he get himself into some scrapes!

PS. I believe it's Tonkinese.
January 18, 2018 05:19AM
I bet Gareth Morgan has shares in that company (or owns it)
Attachments:
open | download - Friday Funny 2.jpg (17 KB)
January 18, 2018 11:16PM
If I could afford it, I would have that fencing for my current cat. That way, she would have some access to the outdoor world without getting the ire of neighbours when she digs in their gardens to do her business and she would have less opportunity to try to decimate the local bird population single handedly!

I love my cat but cannot keep her in 24 hours, although she is locked in from dusk to daylight. I am not so shortsighted that I can't see the rising tide of public opinion against the freedom of cats. I can foresee cat licencing and hefty restrictions in the not too distant future.
January 19, 2018 01:46AM
I've always had cats, at some points up to 5 at the same time. We currently have 2, and once they've gone we'll not have any more for these reasons.
February 08, 2018 04:00PM
I'm fond of Scottish Fold cats. They have ears that folded so it looks funny and unique. They're just so fat and cute.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2018 04:01PM by alanz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.